PDA

View Full Version : I give up, I have to ask.........

Knarley
06-10-2015, 06:01 PM
I have been searching hill & dale trying to find out what the Sam Hill makes a Postell different than the Spitzer, Pointed, Semi-Pointed & The Pointed-round nose?
I google it, it shows where to buy them, or about people named Postell. As the dude in "Dirty Harry" said...."I got's to know"
(Side note) I watched that part of the movie the other day, did he shoot 5 or 6? The answer will surprise ya.......

Knarley

Oh, the answer........4

wills
06-10-2015, 06:31 PM
see this

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?130172-thinking-of-trying-black&p=1438160&viewfull=1#post1438160

13Echo
06-10-2015, 06:42 PM
The Postell was the one of the first long range really aerodynamic bullets designed for the .45 long range target rifles. Today's Lyman Postell differs a bit in shape from the original Lyman Postell. In fact it is a bit hard to tell an original Lyman from a current Postell from any one of a number of similar bullets like the Creedmoor with rather subtle changes in profile. In short the Postell is more of an idea of what a fairly streamlined lead bullet should look like. There are molds available that recreate, more or less, the original Postell.

Jerry Liles

Tom Myers
06-10-2015, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=Knarley;3277550]I have been searching hill & dale trying to find out what the Sam Hill makes a Postell different than the Spitzer, Pointed, Semi-Pointed & The Pointed-round nose?
Knarley]

These are the dimensions of my Lyman Postell Mold

Click image for larger view.
Image drawn by Precision Cast Bullet Design software
(http://www.tmtpages.com/#advanced)
Hope this helps.

montana_charlie
06-11-2015, 02:08 PM
I have been searching hill & dale trying to find out what the Sam Hill makes a Postell different than the Spitzer, Pointed, Semi-Pointed & The Pointed-round nose?
Knarley,
When you ask for the differences between the Postell and 'spitzer' 'pointed' and 'round nose', you aren't just talking about cast bullets. Those terms apply to jacketed bullets, as well, and 'spitzer' is almost exclusively a jacketed style.

You can look at the Lyman website to see examples of 'other' bullet shapes that are intended for use in the 45/70 cartridge.
This page really shows the differences between the four main 'non-flat pointed' designs if you look at the Schmittzer, Matthews, Government, and Postell.
(I can't 'import' the page to make it appear in my post, so you will have to click the link to see their webpage.)
http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/bullet-casting/select-mould-rifle.php?styleRef=cat19#anc

When you get down to choosing between two bullets designed for the same job, the differences become less easy to see.
This shows the Paul Jones Creedmoor and the Lyman Postell ... two well-proved long range bullets.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/CreedmoorandPostell_zps8195361e.jpg

The nose on the Creedmoor is a little fatter in 'the cheeks', which causes a small weight difference.
But, the main factor for the guy doing the choosing is knowing which shape will most accurately match the actual shape of the throat in his rifle's chamber.
Both bullets perform well at long rang, but throat fit goes a long way to determining which will be most accurate ... in that gun.

As another example of the subtle nuances, the PGT bullet (for Pedersoli Sharps) leans more toward the Creedmoor than the Postell in it's shape.
The PGT (on the right) has 'fat cheeks' similar to the Creedmoor, but it is dimensioned to match the angles found in Pedersoli throat.
It's also a bit heavier than either of the others.

http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/montana_charlie/PJ%20to%20PGT%20Comparison_zps00tdp207.png
(Images produced by Tom Meyers)

So, Knarley,, what is it that you actually want to know about the various bullet styles ... as those styles affect BPCR shooting?

I may not be able to answer that question, but at least we will all know what you are trying to find out with your research.

CM

Don McDowell
06-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Original postel from an Ideal mould on the left, Brooks version of the same bullet on the right.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/Postel_zps93285111.jpg

Knarley
06-11-2015, 05:18 PM
Mr. Don,

I have been looking at boolit moulds as of late, and they are all beginning to look alike. I'll admit I have an "untrained" eye, and I can't tell the difference.
Hoch has what "Midway" calls semi- spitzer & postells .
LEE has the pointed round nose.
Lyman has semi pointed and pointed................. and down the list one can go. Yes, these are all for cast boolits.

I've read the praises on the "Postell" and was just wondering what or why they are so special. I haven't figured it out so I thought I would ask.
Seems to me it's kinda on the same order of a "Derringer" or a "Deringer" one is a copy of the original. I'm cool with that.
I just received a Lyman #457132 "Semi-Pointed" 535 gr. mould. It looks to me very much like the Lyman Postell in your post, and for all I know it just might be the same thing.
I got a mould for the 38-55, a Lyman 378674, that on one site was called a Postell, and on another, a round nose.
Just wanted the get things clarified, and the responses I have gotten have been helpful. I am glad that you folks are patient enough to answer my questions with out treating me like an idiot.
I'm gonna do some casting tonight, and in the next couple days, make some smoke........

Knarley

Don McDowell
06-11-2015, 06:51 PM
It's fairly straightforward simple, the Lyman postel, and the Ideal that preceded it, work, no fancy bells nor whistles, just get the job done.
The 457132 is the postel. (bullet on the right) The RCBS 82084 is similar , but doesn't hold up as well past 800 yds. I think mostly because of the lube grooves.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f358/Ranch137/RCBS82084.jpg

Sometimes we tend to try and over think this stuff, it's not quite as complicated as we try to make it.

cajun shooter
06-12-2015, 10:10 AM
You need to take a close look at Don's pics and if you look close, they will tell you a lot. Notice that the Lyman mold used has shallow and more rounded lube grooves and bands. These will hold less lube and not seal as well as the bullets that are from molds that have deep even lube grooves and bands that are square. This type of bullet will not only lube better but will seal the bore.
The nose configuration also is different and you need a chamber cast to see which will better suit your rifle.
Hoch makes some very nice molds as others in the business do, like Dave Gullo You need to purchase and try the different shapes and see which ones work for you and your rifle.
Don, and the others on here who are regular BPCR shooters are much more qualified to give you the finer details about your selection. If you take time to read all the information that is written on this subject, it will give you a better understanding of A to Z.
These types of things for the most part require many years of gun time to learn. Just picking out a bullet to shoot is a very small part of the total process. Again I will tell you that I stay away from Lyman molds today as they have allowed the quality control to reach a new low. Later David

Gunlaker
06-12-2015, 01:53 PM
Knarley there are lots of bullet designs, and as a bona fide member of the mold of the month club I'd simply find out what others with the same rifle are using successfully. Some chambers an be very picky about the bullets that they shoot well, and buying lots of molds that you don't end up using can be expensive :-).As the distances get longer there is an advantage with some nose types, but this is going to be in the 500 yard plus range mostly. This year I have switched from an old bullet design (#740 Saeco ) in my .40-65 to the more aerodynamic Money bullet. The #740 shoots extremely well all the way out to the rams, generally a tiny little bit better than the Money bullet. I made the switch to the Money as it leads less. That won't matter when shooting 20-30 rounds at a covered range but I think it does when it's really hot and you've already got 40 rounds down the bore. Chris.