PDA

View Full Version : Old .300 H&H

richhodg66
06-09-2015, 09:09 AM
I know where an old Remington .300 H&H is, it's either a professionally sporterized Enfield or it was one of the ones Remington sold commercially between the wars that was on that same action. I've always been kind of enamored by the round and happen to have a set of dies for it for some reason.

The rifle is in kind of rough shape, but was nicely done and could probably clean up well enough. Can't really tell how the bore is. It has an old Denver Redfield on it, so someone owned it who knew his stuff at one time, good scope and mounts. I think I could get it pretty inexpensively, it is in a shop that I don't go by often, went by twice in the past couple of years and it is still there, or was a month or so ago. Not likely to move fast because of the caliber, I think.

The .300 H&H is neat, but if this one won't shoot well with cast, would a rifle like this be a good candidate for reboring? Gotta admit to having an itch for a .458 for years that never got scratched, and it seems to have come back lately, would there likely be enough meat in a .30 caliber barrel for that and would the magazine still work without a lot of work?

RustyReel
06-09-2015, 09:34 AM
How can you sleep at night knowing it is just sitting there!! Half kidding and half serious! Anyway, if it truely is a commercial Remington get in your car right now and go buy it if you can do so "inexpensively". If it is a sported Enfield, wait until after lunch.

If the barrel is toast it is probably a better candidate for a rebore to 375H&H or some similar caliber based on the full length H&H case. Probably not enough meat to rebore to .458 unless you shorten the barrel considerably. There are lots of other "easy" options for a .458WM as Mauser barrels are nearly everywhere as are replacement barrel for the Savage 110's.

If you buy it, post us up a few pics and good luck.

richhodg66
06-09-2015, 11:30 AM
It's a couple of hours from me and I only go through there when on my way down to Texas. The asking price was $399.99 as I recall, but it's been there a while. I'll have to double check if it's a commercial rifle or what. That old Redfield on it is worth $150 or so, I think.

RustyReel
06-09-2015, 11:47 AM
If it is a Remington commercial model, Remington 30 and it only shows honest wear and not alteration then that is a good price. A more deluxe model, the 30SR, came with a Redfield Scope and if the rifle is that particular model then it is a VERY good price. Only red flag is the caliber. I'm not certain they were produced in 300 H&H so you would need to do some research and look carefully. Caliber roll mark will probably give you a good indication.

If it were priced at say $199, I'd be on the road. If it is simply a sported US Model of 1917 manufactured by Remington then it would have to be really nice for me to go $400.

Either way, I think those kind of finds are always fun.

richhodg66
06-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I'll be headed down that way again in the next month or two, I'll check closer then, might just make a lowball offer and see if he'll take it.

oneokie
06-09-2015, 04:15 PM
FWIW;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Model_30