PDA

View Full Version : Need help to ID vintage Lyman Sizing Die (Cartridge?) based on dimensions

bedbugbilly
06-08-2015, 08:44 PM
I know this may not be the proper forum but I'm hoping those experienced in reloading bottle neck cartridges might be able to ID what cartridge a vintage Lyman/Ideal "sizing die" is based on the dimensions? This is one of the old steel sizing dies where you lube the casing, whack it in with a mallet, turn the die over and use the rod to "tap" the sized casing back out.

It doesn't have the box - all I have is the steel die and the drive-out rod. The dimensions are (taken with my digital calipers so it may vary + or - a thousandths or two).

Overall length of the die measures 2.419"
"Throat" (neck) end of the opening - .299"
Base end opening - .461

Throat/neck end of die is stamped "V 806" and "69". I have looked but can't find a reference chart (if it exists) for these old Lyman/Ideal Sizing Dies.

It has masking tape on it and faintly written it looks like "300 SAV". I'm not really sure if these dies were made the length of the cartridge casing or not? I have looked at the dimensions of the 300 Savage and the 303 Savage in Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook - both are shorter than this die is long.

I'm assuming that since I get a neck measurement of .299 (approx.) that it is for a .30 cartridge give or take. Looking at the dimensions in Lyman's book, I can't tell for sure if the base opening dimension I come up with is for either the 300 or 303.

Anyone reload 300 or 303 Savage that could verify if this is a die for either "I'd lean towards the 300 Savage since it is marked that on the tape? Anybody have any ideas on what cartridge this die is for or if these "whack in" dies were the same length as the cartridge casing?

I'm going to be listing this one as well as several more in other calibers in boxes and I'd like to be able to identify it correctly.

Thanks.

Jim

ascast
06-08-2015, 09:02 PM
I would guess 7mm Mauser. Small opening, you say, is .299. Your neck will be about 10-12 thou thick. So .299 minus 25 leaves .274 more or less. Then you would expand back up to .287 ish. Base at .461 is a bit sloppy for 7mm ( .470) but she'll go in, which is what you want after all. Certainly not a 30 cal as the neck would be expanded way to much. IMHO

bedbugbilly
06-09-2015, 11:57 AM
ascast - thanks very much. That was sort of my guess as well after going through my Lyman manual - the 7mm Mauser seemed to be the closest thing. The throat of the die, even if my .299 measurement is off a tad, seems too tight for either the 300 or 303 Savage - as you say, it would require to much sizing stretch on the brass. I may just have to list this as "unidentified". I don't know the origin of the dies as far as who owned them and it may very likely be "mis-labeled" on the tape.

Greatly appreciate the help! Thanks!

Jim

catskinner
06-09-2015, 08:10 PM
All the Lyman shell resizer dies are marked with caliber. Sometimes very faint.