PDA

View Full Version : Lead Remover -- Chore Boy Golden Fleece

nashtn
06-08-2015, 04:06 PM
Trying to get those last bits of lead out of the barrel, you know -- the ones that stick in the grooves, can be really frustrating. Especially for folks like myself who don't make their own boolets and therefore can't exactly match up the chamber/barrel diameters.

I've tried the Lewis lead remover kit but didn't feel that it was really all that effective on my .45lc's. It seems that most things that try to work for both .44/.45 calibers are tight enough for the .44s, but not tight enough for the .45s.

Another remedy that really didn't seem to do much good was using Chore Boy copper threads, wrapped around a suitable bore mop or brush. (Frontier's metal cleaner, a big ball of what looks like steel wool, wasn't much better, either.)

Suddenly it occured to me to try a bit of Chore Boy's golden fleece cloths. They are non-metalic, but bumpy and crusty and I just had to try a patch of it to see if it would work. I had to use a really tiny patch as it is impossible to jam into the muzzel if it is as big as a regular cloth patch. (it also helped to use a .38 rubber tip on the rod to push the patch through)

Well, I was pleasantly suprised -- it did remove the lead and it cleaned the other stuff out of the barrel in two runs through.

I did not see any scratches on the barrel, and, since the cloths are made of non-metal abbrassives, I really didn't expect to.

--Nashtn--

montanamike
06-08-2015, 06:53 PM
I havent tried the chore boy golden fleece but I have used kleen bore lead away cloth and it works great. IDK how many square inches you get with the chore boy but if its a better price per inch than the kleen bore I might have to give it a try