PDA

View Full Version : red dot sights ?

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-08-2015, 01:57 PM
I bought a open type red dot sight , just a inexpensive one 30 dollar no name that looks very much like the trueglow, I tried it on a 22 rifle it was ok , then I tried it on a 22 pistol , this is where I think it works best it is currently mounted on a Ruger MKIII and once dialed in makes shooting 22 pistol silhouettes much easier for the 4-H kids , they tried it Saturday and liked it , I tested it out myself a bit and it made shooting the rams a matter of holding still and putting the dot in the right spot

I want to outfit 2-3 pistols with these maybe more later as I grow the program.

I don't know much about red dots never been a batteries on guns fan but these serve a definite use in this application and I think they have come along far enough to be dependable for many years now if a good one is selected , I am open to suggestions for tube and open type.

what are you using , what do you like , what have you found

we shoot to 100 meters for rams , 77m for turkeys , 60m for pigs and 40m for chickens

I am looking for red dot sights that represent a good value , a reputable manufacturer who stands by their product and that will hold up to use by junior shooters on 22 pistols if they had click adjustable elevation and windage that would be nice , my cheap one does not.

quickdraw66
06-08-2015, 04:31 PM
For a tube type, I highly recommend a Vortex Strikefire. I have one on my AR-15, and it is just fantastic. It's a red/green dot, and the green dot can be easily seen even in bright day light. Several of the reviews I've read on it compare it to an Aimpoint in terms of quality, but for a fraction of the cost. I bought mine for $130 a few months ago. It might be a little large for a pistol though. I mostly see the small open type sights with those.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strikefire-2-red-dot-with-red-green-dot-cantilever-mount

https://4b1e874935ea5d25a97e-f099844d0e354c7ab50c55a966be6870.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.c om/product/xvosfrdar15.jpg

gwpercle
06-08-2015, 04:44 PM
14 years ago I gave up shooting handguns. Eyesight problems, blind in right eye, lens removed from left eye, no lens implant possible, so tri-focal glasses do not let me focus on iron sights.
A second hand Ruger MKII with a Millet SP-1 compact red dot sight mounted on it let me shoot again. I had never seen or used one, the gun shop owner said, just put the dot on the target and squeeze the trigger! Skeptical untill I shot it! Good Lord does it work ! 2 years ago I mounted another Millet on a revolver, why.....Well
The first was at least 12 years old, worked perfectly , and they sell from Midway for $50.00. Millet is still in business and will repair them . I just can't afford those small, no tube sights that sell for $200.00 and up.
If you would consider a tube type red dot, then I can recommend the Millet SP-1 compact, They last, my first is over 14 years old, reasonable cost, fully adjustabe, clear , 10 setting brightness control and easily adjustable windage and elevation . Can change a battery without having to remove the sight.
Gary

C.F.Plinker
06-08-2015, 04:55 PM
I've used Tasco tube type red dots on my several of my bullseye guns for years. They work well on the 22s where they are mounted on a rib. I have had two fail when mounted on the slide of a 1911 usually after at least 1000 rounds. I just replaced the most recent failure with an UltraDot at a cost of three times that of a Tasco. In looking at the dots that other competitors were using at the regional I noticed that the UltraDots were very popular for the 1911s.

There were no open or reflex type dots on the line at all at a recent outdoor regional I attended. There are only a few at the indoor league I participate in. The tube type are much more popular among the bullseye shooters. Since you are outfitting several pistols for the scouts you may want to have a spare on hand in case one of the sights fails.

I found that horizontally split rings were easier to install than vertically split rings. One thing that I do is to cut a half inch section of latex glove and put in on the tube where the rings will attach. This prevents the tube from turning or sliding once the rings are tightened.

bobthenailer
06-08-2015, 05:56 PM
In most cases i prefer a tube style red dot sight with about 10 brightness settings for most applications. but for semi auto slide mounting of a red dot sight i like the small heads up red dot sights with user adj dot brightness such as the Burris fast fire 3 or Pride / Fowler special ops sight .
I have a few dozen red dot sight's in all, one mounted on a air pistols, quite a few on 22lr & center fire handguns & rifles ranging in price from $35.00 to over $500.00 been using RDS for over 25 years.

IMO a must for my 67 year old eyes , i can shoot better now than when i was in my 30's using iron sights. For general purpose use the Millets are ok and are in your price range! a friend has 4 of them. i usually go for RDS in the $100.00 and up price range starting with the Bushnell TRS25. My favorite brand is Aimpoint, have about 10 in all but there pricey for some applications. the Ultra Dot is also nice and about 1/2 of the cost of a Aimpoint.

JSnover
06-08-2015, 06:22 PM
I have an old Bushnell HoloSight on my FAL. A friend of mine had to talk me into and I'm glad I finally listened. One of these days I'll spend some real money and get something nice but until this one breaks I can't justify the expense. Out to 200 yards a man-sized target doesn't have a chance. With a better sight I have no doubt it would be the same at 300

TenTea
06-08-2015, 06:43 PM
Howdy Pete:

How's about a SeeAll Sight?

I've been intrigued by these, but have yet to buy as I'm happy with Aimpoint, 2 moa, sights.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/jeremy-s/gear-review-see-all-open-sight/

white eagle
06-08-2015, 06:57 PM
Now red dots are very nice and fast sighting
I have used and still use Ultra Dots on my handguns and rifles
I see their value and find that this manufacturer delivers on their claims
put them on a 475 Linebaugh.480 Rug,45 colt and 44 mag pistols
I also use one on a 45/70 Ruger #1
never a malfunction or problem with heavy recoiling arms
try one you will agree

bangerjim
06-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Have them on 3 rifles and a carbine. Once tweaked in, the boolit hits where the dot is!

A couple of mine are red/green.

I do not use scopes or red dots on hand guns at all.

Bonz
06-08-2015, 07:06 PM
on my 2nd Tasco RedDot, they fail after a while, probably from the recoil. Think when #2 dies, I'm gonna go with a Vortex because of the lifetime warranty

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Howdy Pete:

How's about a SeeAll Sight?

I've been intrigued by these, but have yet to buy as I'm happy with Aimpoint, 2 moa, sights.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/04/jeremy-s/gear-review-see-all-open-sight/

sounds interesting , I would like to see one to see if it would be usable in my application, unfortunately the only dealer in a hundred miles maps to a residence in Madison and has no contact info

M-Tecs
06-08-2015, 10:33 PM
Ultra Dots for the competitive handguns and Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 Red Dots general use.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-08-2015, 10:40 PM
I had been looking at vortex any way the SPARC II with the multi height mounting looks good , and the warranty is nice , 199 is the uper end of what I was hoping to spend but as a one time then covered for life purchase it may be worth it.

true glo was another I had been looking at

the millet sounds doable

the ultra dot is a little more than I was looking but does sound very solid

I have looked through some aim points but they are out of my budget range

thanks for the ideas , I am going to have do do a little research on my own , do you think if I brought a card board cut out of a chicken and had my wife walk 40 meters down the store and hold it up they would think I was nuts . I know what I want to see I just need to know if I m going to see it.

jmort
06-08-2015, 10:59 PM
These are well regarded

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

country gent
06-08-2015, 11:07 PM
I had one of the early pro points by tasco worked good but btteries were a hassle as they were a russian size at the time. Now they use a standard waffer type battery. I also have an ultra dot on my 38 wadcutter 1911 this scope does very well. Ultra dot garenntees their scope can ride the slide of a 45 hardball gun with no ill effects. If you can find a cabellas, bass pro shop, or gander mountain they normally have a big selection of red dot sights on the shelf you can look at and see. You dont have to buy there but will get a good idea of what you want to use. Then its just finding a place to order.

MaryB
06-09-2015, 12:59 AM
I put one of these on my SKS http://www.amazon.com/TruGlo-Traditional-Red-Dot-Sight/dp/B00W2B5SDO works well and the small amount of magnification helps my poor eyesight.

Cmm_3940
06-09-2015, 04:43 AM
My MKIII 22/45 Hunter wears a Truglo open-body red dot. It adds very little bulk or weight to the gun.

fecmech
06-09-2015, 12:57 PM
I will also recommend the Millet sight. Ive had one on my K-38 for about 15 years and shoot max std. 158 gr loads@ 900 fps.( about 5-6K/yr.). About 3 or 4 years ago my Millet failed and I called Millet about repair. After asking me some questions about what it was mounted on and how much it was shot the fellow told me to send it in and he'd get me a new one out right away no charge. Now I don't know any better service than that! Their sights have a decent 4 min. dot and an excellent brightness range. I don't think you can go wrong there.