PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have a Kimber Gold Cup?

Typecaster
03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
I just scored 4,000+ R-P .45 ACP once-fired cases. Alas, I don't have a .45 to use them in. I'm inclined toward the Kimber Gold Cup. Anybody have one? And, if you do, how well does it digest cast boolets? I have a RCBS 201-gr. KT mould already.

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2008, 05:07 PM
colt makes the gold cup, kimber makes a gold match. I have both and both are excellent cast bullet shooting guns!!!!!

Typecaster
03-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Lloyd! Guess I had gold on my mind...or at least brass. I just looked at Midway's price for Remington brass—4,000 would be about $700. I'm way ahead so far; I only spent about $100. This is getting to be an expensive hobby if you pay retail.

Lloyd, should I be looking for other moulds? Or is the Keith-type a goodie? Any recommended starting loads?

Now if I get a set of dies I can tell my wife that I HAVE to get the gun...I have all the other pieces.

Lloyd Smale
03-21-2008, 07:31 PM
nothing wrong with that mold. it should be a good one to get started with.

OBXPilgrim
03-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Kind of backwards way to work yourself into a new gun, isn't it?

I mean, everyone knows you buy the reloading dies first, then tell the wife, " look, I got these neat new tools & have nothing to use them on"

Typecaster
03-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I know, I know, I know. the real story behind the story is that #1 son and I went shooting, but the local outdoor range had been closed. We ended up about 20 miles away at an indoor peestol range. Problem was, they wouldn't let us shoot my cast boolet reloads indoors. But—we could, at a very minor charge—RENT their peestols and buy their bullets. We chose a 9mm Beretta and a .45 1911. Neither of us could hit squat with the 9mm, but I was keeping everything in the black with the .45...much to the chagrin of the sheriff next to me.

Lovely wife asked how we'd done, and #1 son showed her my target. When she said I should get a gun like that...well, you can guess the rest.

Maybe I'm goofed up in the sequence, but my heart is in the right place.

crabo
03-21-2008, 10:42 PM
I have a Kimber Lightweight commander and borrowed 2 other Kimbers. (The other two had different sight setups that I wanted to try) and all 3 digested the Saeco 69 and the H&G 68 without a problem as they came from the factory.

I don't think you would have any problem. (You would just need to get a trigger job in my opinion)

Crabo

felix
03-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Don't know about the gold cup, kettle, coin models, but the Kimber target grade guns do shoot well out of the box. Three were bought at the same time and all shot match grade groups. Only the triggers were a little suspect, but still I would term them to be 95 percent there. I took the most accurate of the three guns, and replaced the trigger in that one which also had the worst trigger of the three before the changeout to a 100 percent trigger. That gun left the stable and went to my best shooting partner. By now, everyone knows who he is. ... felix

sundog
03-21-2008, 11:07 PM
That particular gun will hold the black of an SR21 at 100 yards if the operator pays attention. Not too shabby for a skeekin' hand gun. Ain't that right, buddy? And, yes, it's a mighty fine trigger.

timkelley
03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a Gold Cup nearing 30 years old now, it doesn't care what I feed it, it just shoots. If I could shoot as well as this pistol I could win money on the practical pistol circuit.

winchester243
03-21-2008, 11:13 PM
I have a Colt Gold Cup, really like it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/winchester243/P1290012.jpg

I know, I know, no cast boolits in the picture, but I'll remedy that shortly. :)

felix
03-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Well, I have never seen the 44man shoot, but I bet he could tell us, back when he had REAL eyesight, which gun will outshoot what. I wonder if Mr. Ransom (sp?) would throw his stuff in the trash if the man was challenged and outshot his gadget? I have never been impressed with that machine, unless testing went all day long. No human could keep up with its uniformity, such as the same consistency throughout a whole day. ... felix

Kraschenbirn
03-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I've got a (Colt) Series 70 Gold Cup and one of my shooting buddies has a Kimber Custom Target and we've often shot each others guns. His Kimber digests my "softball" loads (hard-cast 185 gr SWC over 5 gr AA#5) without a bobble and, off the sandbags, groups nearly as well. His gun also seems to function reliably with my "major" loads (225 gr TC loaded to duplicate G.I. Ball) but I believe I'd switch to an 18# recoil spring and add a spring guide buffer before shooting those on any kind of a regular basis.

Bill