PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a .22 Disc

melloairman
06-07-2015, 04:59 PM
Needed a critter getter with a little more energy than the 1377 carbine was delivering . Had a .177 when they first came out . It was my first pcp . It was a good rifle . Bought a .22 this time . Installed the TKO off the .177 that I had left . As well as the trigger assembly that I had done the lower link conversion on . The gauge on the rifle is off several hundred psi as you can see from the chrony readings . The first string was done by the rifle gauge the second was with the tank gauge . With cp 14.3 pellets . Which the rifle scattered . The 13.7 Daisy flat noise from Wal-Mart {which I would call a WC } grouped well . I will have to see if they still sell them .I bought these about 8 years ago . Not going for more than 30-40 yards so the WC should do good and transfer some energy . Did not slug the barrel .But the CP head is .217 and the skirt .220 . The Daisy WC head is .217 and the skirt .224 .Marvin
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn55/melloroadman/22%20DISCO/IMG_7626%2022%20DISCO%206-7-15_zpsmostdu3x.jpg (http://s301.photobucket.com/user/melloroadman/media/22%20DISCO/IMG_7626%2022%20DISCO%206-7-15_zpsmostdu3x.jpg.html)

gloob
06-09-2015, 09:56 AM
Your pellet head measurements match up pretty good with mine on those two pellets.

The difference I noticed is that the Daisy's are not .217" all the way around. They are a bit out of round, and that is the maximum diameter on mine. So they are effectively smaller (less friction) than the CP's. I can feel this when chambering them in my gun. I'm guessing the CP's are too big for your rifle.

I got mine from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-Flathead-Pellets/dp/B00069PQCC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433858309&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=daisy+22+wadcutter&pebp=1433858323190&perid=1AGMXFZ4MQJHEGKYW5YD

But before you buy any more, I would make sure to do some testing at 40 yards. These pellets group fantastic out of my rifle at 20 yards. But somewhere between 25 and 35 yards the accuracy falls off a cliff. I wouldn't shoot these at an animal beyond 25-30 yards out of my gun.

melloairman
06-09-2015, 07:02 PM
Your pellet head measurements match up pretty good with mine on those two pellets.

The difference I noticed is that the Daisy's are not .217" all the way around. They are a bit out of round, and that is the maximum diameter on mine. So they are effectively smaller (less friction) than the CP's. I can feel this when chambering them in my gun. I'm guessing the CP's are too big for your rifle.

I got mine from Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Daisy-Outdoor-Products-Flathead-Pellets/dp/B00069PQCC/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433858309&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=daisy+22+wadcutter&pebp=1433858323190&perid=1AGMXFZ4MQJHEGKYW5YD

But before you buy any more, I would make sure to do some testing at 40 yards. These pellets group fantastic out of my rifle at 20 yards. But somewhere between 25 and 35 yards the accuracy falls off a cliff. I wouldn't shoot these at an animal beyond 25-30 yards out of my gun.
The CP are not to big for my rifle . The skirt is to small in diameter to keep the pellet straight in the barrel . Pellets need to be fit properly at the head and the skirt . Just as a bullet needs to be supported by the front and rear bands . The WC had a higher fps because it was a little lighter . I am pushing them fast enough that they remain accurate at the 35-40 yard range . And they are humanly killing the critters because they are transferring their energy to the flesh . Instead of doing a pass through and not dumping their energy . If you research a little further you will see that many shooters use them for hunting out to that range when they have a rifle that will push them fast enough . It is no different than a PB which when pushing a WC fast enough . The WC will be accurate out to 50 yards . The WC have put down several critters already for me . And I bought 4 tins at PA . Marvin

gloob
06-10-2015, 07:05 PM
Cool. I have used them for my last two pests. Tree rats at close range. They did the job and over penetration was a concern. They might shoot great at 40 yards in someone else's gun.

Im a little surprised that the crosman skirts are too small. They're at least a few mils bigger than the heads. If the heads are big enough so are the skirts, as far as I can tell, unless your rifle has exceptionally deep grooves and not enough power to obturate.

I have noticed quite a bit of variation in skirt diameter in my CPs. And I have sorted them and found no difference in performance.

TCLouis
06-10-2015, 08:09 PM
I am sure that the Disco will prove to be precise shooting and more than adequate to do most things up to at least rabbits and maybe slightly bigger. Rabbit is the largest thing I have ever have plans to attempt with an air gun.

They apparently take rabbits quite easily and that is with 12 ft/lb guns, in parts of Europe and that is far less energy than many of our guns produce, 177or 22 cal.

lathesmith
06-17-2015, 07:09 PM
In my experience, 22's generally do a better job of anchoring critters than 177 does. Shot count with the 22 Disco is a little light, but if it's used as a critter getter that's closer to home that really won't be an issue.