PDA

View Full Version : Lyman M-Die Experience sorta done

ohland
06-07-2015, 04:00 PM
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/Cast_Bullet/Lyman_M-Dies/Lyman_M-Die_Plugs.html

John Boy
06-07-2015, 04:58 PM
Ohland, informative chart if one uses M-Dies. I don't. TOTW expander plugs in a Lee Expansion Die has served me well for over 10 years. Plus they are 7 times cheaper than M-Dies and one can turn the plugs to calibers that Lyman doesn't have or can't custom order

Maximumbob54
06-07-2015, 05:04 PM
Keep an eye on NOE's selection. I think he's dropping some and adding more.

EDG
06-07-2015, 05:05 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?4351-Lyman-M-Die-Measurements-Needed

Here are the measurements for a new Lyman 50-70 M die plug bought earlier this year from Optics Planet.

This plug is marked on the end 50 R

This plug is a little different than most rifle plugs. It has 3 diameters close to the bullet diameter.

.510 diameter - this is the first diameter into the case but its effective length is only .250 long. It looks like a large auto pistol expander it is so short.

.5145 - this is the step that we are used to and it is .080 long. This step could be polished out to make the first step longer then you can polish down the top step to just over your bullet diameter.

.5175 - This is not a functional diameter on most M dies but it might help some rifles with oversize bores or you can do some polishing to make the effective lengths and diameters longer or larger. This diameter is .215 long and is the top end of the plug.

For my use I should have made my own M die expander.

ohland
06-07-2015, 05:22 PM
TOTW expander plugs in a Lee Expansion Die

When I found the NOE Lee-Lyman expander plugs for the Lee expander, that overcame most of my Lee expander dislike. The TOTW expander for the .439 appears like a Lyman or RCBS without a second step / flare.

The NOE design has my perfered 2 step design. Plus it's cheaper. Wish NOE would do custom sizes....

bedbugbilly
06-07-2015, 07:31 PM
Good information! Thanks!

ohland
06-07-2015, 09:38 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?4351-Lyman-M-Die-Measurements-Needed

Here are the measurements for a new Lyman 50-70 M die plug bought earlier this year from Optics Planet.

This plug is marked on the end 50 R

This plug is a little different than most rifle plugs. It has 3 diameters close to the bullet diameter.

.510 diameter - this is the first diameter into the case but its effective length is only .250 long. It looks like a large auto pistol expander it is so short.

.5145 - this is the step that we are used to and it is .080 long. This step could be polished out to make the first step longer then you can polish down the top step to just over your bullet diameter.

.5175 - This is not a functional diameter on most M dies but it might help some rifles with oversize bores or you can do some polishing to make the effective lengths and diameters longer or larger. This diameter is .215 long and is the top end of the plug.

For my use I should have made my own M die expander.

Will assimilate Monday. Thx for the update.