PDA

View Full Version : Help with 40 cal

paul harm
06-06-2015, 05:23 PM
I've reloaded shotgun shells, but not for rifle. I have a rifle liner for a 1882 10ga Remington SxS. On it is stamped 10ga 40- 2 1/2. I measured the bore and came up with .403. A friend had me shoot some 30-40 Craigs in it to fire form the cases. He then pointed out a darkened line on the case and said that was to where I should trim it [ 1.750" ]. He also commented to start with a .405 or 06 bullet. That's where I stand right now because can't find any bullets that size. And from reading a threat here, I should measure the chamber length, etc. I'll probably use black powder. Any help would be nice, or am I out of my depth ? Paul

Mk42gunner
06-06-2015, 07:30 PM
Paul,

I remember reading of the Remington rifled bore inserts a few years ago, but not just where I saw the info. I believe they are pretty rare. I have no idea if this one should be fired or not. You will have to make that decision, hopefully after getting some advice from someone that actually knows what he is talking about.

I would hazard a guess that the 40-2½ refers to the cartridge length, I know the Sharps rifle company marked rifles by caliber and chamber length, but have no idea if Remington did it the same way.

I would definitely do, or have done, a chamber cast; just to be absolutely sure of what cartridge should be used if you decide to go ahead with this project.

Good Luck and be safe,

Robert

W.R.Buchanan
06-07-2015, 05:47 PM
First you need to figure out what caliber it actually is . A Chamber Cast is probably the best way to do this.

After you figure this out it should be a fairly strait forward process to cast boolits, buy/make cases and load them.

Without knowing exactly what you have, you are completely blind and the only will you will achieve success of any kind will be as a result of Blind Luck.

If you can't do a chamber cast, take the gun to a competent gunsmith and have them do it. Then you will know for sure how to proceed.

Randy

MT Chambers
06-07-2015, 06:16 PM
If those markings are meaningful, 40-2 1/2 translates to 40/70 Sharps that is still being chambered by some of the makers of replica Sharps rifles, like C. Sharps, and Shiloh. I'd do a chamber cast and if it is matches, cases are avail. from Baco and others and RCBS makes a .40-260 bullet mold. If you are by chance in Canada, my outfit makes all these bullets, in all the old cals.

paul harm
06-08-2015, 04:23 PM
I believe it's for a 40/60, but not being sure I'll do the chamber cast. Thanks for the replies. Paul

gwpercle
06-08-2015, 05:21 PM
The 40-2 1/2 (straight) is/was a Sharps black powder cartridge circa 1879. Also referred to as the 40-70 Sharps or 40-65 Sharps ( heavy reloadable type brass cases would only hold 65 grains of powder ) it uses a .403 inch diameter boolit weighing 330 to 370 grains , the Lyman #403149 weighs 330 grains and is listed as correct for this round. Charge with 40 to 65 grains black powder. I have no information on where cases might be obtained. This is considered an obsolete American rifle cartridge.
Not much help, but at least you know what boolit mould will work and what diameter.
Gary