PDA

View Full Version : New To Me Savage Enfield #4 MKII

leadman
06-06-2015, 04:56 PM
I bought the above rifle this morning and it has a black plastic monte carlo stock on it. The barrel is uncut, has the original front sight but the guard is gone. The 2 groove barrel looks about perfect.
I would like to return this to full military configuration. I know the metal bands and such should have the large "S" on them but what about the wood? Did Savage mark it or should I just go for what I can find?
This also has the sight ladder the the screw adjustment instead of the flip sight for 2 ranges only. Is this a replacement or did Savage use some of these also?
I'll post some pictures later along with slugging the barrel.

leebuilder
06-06-2015, 05:26 PM
Hi Leadman nice find!! Uncut barrel is a prize. As for restoring it, all Savage parts would be nice but not realy important, they were FTR'r and upgraded along its life as an issue rifle. I am not sure about the rear sight, would have to dig into the books. I only have one Savage marked sight and it is a Mk4 sight, stamped with bushing. I am sure they built what ever was required by the order so that would be all 4 variations of the rear sight, also parts and wood were traded between Savage and Long Branch during manufacture. And savage only made the no4 mk1 and the no4 mk1*,,, unless it is a convertion then it would be a no4 mk1/3. Still a good find.
Be well

Hardcast416taylor
06-06-2015, 11:00 PM
It would be stamped "US Property" on the reciever if made by Savage. I don`t think Savage made any Mk 11 No. 4`s.Robert

leadman
06-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Double tap on the I key. It is a #4 MKI*. Unlike the other Savage Enfield I sold a few years ago the S is on the socket for the stock. There is the US Property stamp is on the receiver by model designation.
I do have an excellent condition #4MKII made in 1954 IIRC. This one is all original and shoots great.
It would be great if the bores are close to the same size along with the chambers. I have six 30-06 and four 7.65X53 Arg. rifles that most are different dimensions. I have plastic cartridge boxes serial numbered to the guns that match the ammo inside the box. I have been toying with the idea of renting both chamber reamers and make them all as close as possible.

leebuilder
06-07-2015, 04:23 PM
I read not that long ago that not all Savage made no4s had the "US property" stamping, thought i had one of those but it was milled off, you can just see a trace of the stamping.
If i could i would make up some dummy rounds and mark them with black markef them chamber and twist, to look for high spots, chances a reamer may not even touch the sides. Used issue rifles probley are a bit over size, hate to see you waste your time and money.
be safe

JeffinNZ
06-08-2015, 04:56 AM
I bought the above rifle this morning and it has a black plastic monte carlo stock on it. The barrel is uncut, has the original front sight but the guard is gone. The 2 groove barrel looks about perfect.
I would like to return this to full military configuration. I know the metal bands and such should have the large "S" on them but what about the wood? Did Savage mark it or should I just go for what I can find?
This also has the sight ladder the the screw adjustment instead of the flip sight for 2 ranges only. Is this a replacement or did Savage use some of these also?
I'll post some pictures later along with slugging the barrel.

Cool. You'll need a fairly fat boolit for that 2 groove barrel. .316 at least. The two groove barrels go really well with a well proportional bore riding nose boolit like the 316299 from NOE. 5/8 land and 3/8 groove you see. Lots of support for a bore riding nose of at least .304 inch.

leadman
06-09-2015, 01:38 PM
I did clean it up some and finally got the bore clean. Jeff was very close on the bore size, slugs at .315". I do have the noe 316299.
Will try to post some pictures now.141745141746141747141748141749141750

leebuilder
06-13-2015, 12:01 PM
Looks like a nice restoration project, if you wish. Like i said uncut barrel is a nice find!
If the barrel is in good shape it should be a good shooter.
Be well.

higgins
06-15-2015, 12:24 PM
If there's any way to do so, ask the previous owner if he has the original furniture and hardware, or he may know where it is. If it came from a shop, ask the shop owner if he knows if the previous owner might have it. If it's changed hands a few times, you're probably out of luck. You might get lucky - I did once when I was talking with a fellow at the range who was shooting an uncut No.4 with a synthetic stockset.

leadman
06-24-2015, 10:48 PM
The guy I bought it from purchased it from an estate. One of those "buy all or nothing" sales. I bought a couple other rifles from him awhile ago also. He doesn't have the original stock or hardware.
Still haven't got to the range, busy taking out grass and putting in a gravel parking area in 112 degree heat!

Remiel
06-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Someone in S&S had a #4 stock set for sale a couple of days ago