PDA

View Full Version : Flooding at Friendship

45nut
03-21-2008, 12:47 PM
http://www.nmlra.org/press.asp?Media=Photos&gallery=13

Flooding at Friendship picture gallery, looks pretty bad.

madcaster
03-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Was that this year?
I remember DRD showing me some pictures of a flood that carried away bueatiful gunstocks and powder horns...:(

Bret4207
03-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Thats sad. I can't help but wonder why we keep building in these flood prone areas. What a loss.

fishhawk
03-21-2008, 02:24 PM
yes madcaster that was just the other day

dromia
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Bisley was washed out year before last, took nearly three months to get it back into shape.

Nice avatar BTW Fishhawk. :-D

fishhawk
03-21-2008, 06:32 PM
you got wiljen to thank for that avatar! he did a "first strike" this morning now i get to get even

waksupi
03-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I think it is mold....

GregP42
03-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Well heck (Not what I was thinking about saying) So much for me sneaking over there tomorrow to shoot for awhile..... Screw it I am going over anyway it is only 80 miles.

Greg

Boz330
03-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Holy Moly what a mess. I have seen several floods at Friendship but that has to be the worst ever. The one in 97 was supposed to be a 500 year flood for this area, but that one there is much worse than 97. The ground here is saturated and there were locally extremely heavy rains in IN.
Brett, that range has been there for a long time, NMLRA is celebrating 75 years this year. Not sure when they bought the range though. The folks that have campers there year round are going to be the real losers in this. Most of the range structures can be cleaned up reasonably easy. The bulk of permanent structures are on higher ground. The waters getting that close to Rand house is almost like Ark building time. It is a real shame though.
If you were to move everything out of the range of that flood water you might be able shoot at 10 yds. instead of 500yds.

Bob

fishhawk
03-24-2008, 02:30 PM
it's amazeing how fast laferty creek can come up being it's the bottom of that holler the couple times i was there it came up quick with just a good thunderstorm looks like most photo's were from the primitive side of the site across looking across the road. at least the bunker was probley dry.

mazo kid
03-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Back in the early 80s, there were 2 people killed while sleeping in the back of the pickup truck parked in the (normally) nearly dry creek bed between the grounds and the flea market. It rained during the night and a flash flood swept the truck away. We looked at it at the Ford garage in Friendship the next day....what a total wreck! Emery

GregP42
03-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Well I went over there last weekend, it was ugly. There were a few people there cleaning up their stalls and one old timer I talked to said it was worse than the flood in 96/97 time frame. Yea the water was a couple feet or more deep there where the sheds are, and it washed out under a few of them and the corner of the clubhouse was hanging off into open air where it was washed out under. The fence was missing from the gate house there all the way up the road almost to the bend. I still burnt some powder in my .50 while I was there. First time I had got to shoot it in a couple of years.

It will all clean up ok, but several of the vendors there in the sheds are going to be in sorry shape for awhile.

Greg