PDA

View Full Version : Forster Original Case Trimmer Collet Housing andBearing Attachment styles

ohland
06-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Looking at the Original while figuring out if a 43 Spanish will fit (yes, it will), I noticed two Collet Housing and Bearing mounting styles. Without proof, I posit that the older bases are drilled straight up. Newer bases are drilled at an angle.

Straight. Perhaps more resistant to turning forces, but if you need to crank that hard, maybe a Wilson is better for you....

Angled. Machine time is less, shorter drilled hole.

Without measuring, it appears the straight base uses a thinner angle under the Bearing/Housing, the offset model has a thicker "saddle". Perhaps the change was a thinner saddle required the straight through long screw, the newer offset design used a thicker "saddle", allowing the short screw, but with adequate positioning "oompf". I'm sure oompf is a engineering term...

EDG
06-09-2015, 02:11 PM
I bought my first Forster new in the box in 1976. It has the current short mounting screw. I have been to 40 years of guns shows and have owned 4 other Forster trimmers but I have never seen the long hole version.