PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Sonic Cleaner 2L

rfd
06-06-2015, 07:15 AM
have had one for a few weeks now and .... wow, what difference over dry vibratory w/corn or walnut, OR wet tumblers with s/s or ceramic for .45-70 and .45acp brass. if virgin brass was just shot, and proper post firing case prep procedure was followed at the range and home, a 30 minute sonic scrub is all that it takes for brass to look like this ...

http://i.imgur.com/WNRy00V.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/lZdJdAQ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/2Sf5Iea.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UVwFd0F.jpg

if the brass had been previously fired multiple times, and the insides were not properly cared for and had built up crud, it took me another 30 minute scrub plus inside bronze brushing with a piece of paper towel to get them like-new, and from then on just a 30 minute scrub does the job in yeoman style.

i used distilled water and a shot of hornady brass cleaner for each batch of brass cleaned. after the cleaning cycle, i lift out the basket of brass and run it under tap water, shake off the excess water, wipe down each case with a paper towel to remove any excess super fine particle residue, then allow to dry on a towel, or out in the sun, or in a pan in the oven. a variation of this is to not wipe down, but allow to dry and then run the cases in a vibratory with corn media to clean off the residue.

i experimented with brass positioning in the sonic cleaner a bit by running a 15 minute cycle, then pop the top and move the brass around - the ultrasonic device radiates from the center outwards, so repositioning the brass could make for more thorough cleaning - then run another 15 minute cycle. i found no noticeable cleaning difference between a 30 minute cycle or two 15 minute cycles.

after using all manner of dry and wet tumblers, this was an eye opener for me. and to boot, the sonic machine is nearly quiet when compared to those other far more mechanical machines. so far, quite satisfied with the 2L ........

Don McDowell
06-06-2015, 09:38 AM
My first generation Hornady won't make them shine like that but it sure does knock the crud loose. I carry it when on extended trips like shooting the nationals, that way the cases are all cleaned and could be loaded again if needed, and takes a lot of the work out of getting upacked when you get home.

rfd
06-06-2015, 09:58 AM
as mentioned above, and for me, what the cleaning effort will be depends lots on how clean the case was before loading, and how soon after firing the cases get deprimed and dunked in water/soap. as most folks know with bp loads, loading bp into a sparklingly clean case, then depriming and dunking immediately after firing, will mean easier final cleaning ... and for me that means the sonic cleaner will do it's job well in 30 minutes, plus a wipe down with a paper towel. no more hours and hours of noisy vibrating or tumbling. this has been such a good experience that i'm now almost thinking about selling off my dry and wet tumblers ....

Gunlaker
06-06-2015, 11:16 AM
That seems to work better than my Lyman cleaner. Thanks,Chris.

Red River Rick
06-06-2015, 01:01 PM
My Thumbler Tumbler and SS pins works well enough for me and will make the dirtiest cases come out as clean as those show in the pics.

If you want super shiny, tumble them in 3mm ceramic balls, you'll be blinded.

RRR

rfd
06-06-2015, 01:14 PM
rrr - how long do you need to tumble for them to come out as-new clean? do you ever find the s/s pins roll the case mouth edge?

Red River Rick
06-06-2015, 04:18 PM
rfd:

I tumble for about 3 - 4 hours with SS pins and I've never had any problems with the case mouths being rolled in. I think if you chamfer the heck (knife edge) out of your case mouth's, you'll have problems.

I just deburr my case mouth's enough to break the sharp edge.

RRR

rfd
06-06-2015, 05:12 PM
rrr -

i load into fire formed brass with well fitting alloy boolits, so no need to chamfer at all. sometimes a deburr is required, but nothing like a chamfer.

i've really gotten to like the sonic convenience of a quiet 30 minute case cleaning.

reno
06-11-2015, 12:46 PM
How many 45/70 are you able to do at a time?

rfd
06-11-2015, 12:56 PM
How many 45/70 are you able to do at a time?

been doing 40 and probably could do another 40, dunno for sure. don't much matter since a full cycle is only 30 minutes compared to hours with dry or wet tumblers.

Jim2
06-26-2015, 05:33 PM
I have a Frankfort wet tumbler and use Mauer's (SP) ceramic beads and liquid soap. An hour on the timer and the worst neglected cases are as new inside and out.

TXGunNut
06-26-2015, 08:34 PM
Yes, very nice cleaner. I deprime, wash/soak in a little dish soap and maybe a quick brushing. Then I rinse and dump into my 2l. Awesome job on primer pockets and inside the case. I'll dry them in the oven and then give them a quick tumble to remove the patina, if wanted. I use the solution 3-4 times, just add a little water each time.

rfd
06-27-2015, 08:23 AM
I have a Frankfort wet tumbler and use Mauer's (SP) ceramic beads and liquid soap. An hour on the timer and the worst neglected cases are as new inside and out.

i hear ya, but - an ultrasonic does it in half that time, with less of a mess, and much quieter. :)

rfd
06-27-2015, 08:27 AM
Yes, very nice cleaner. I deprime, wash/soak in a little dish soap and maybe a quick brushing. Then I rinse and dump into my 2l. Awesome job on primer pockets and inside the case. I'll dry them in the oven and then give them a quick tumble to remove the patina, if wanted. I use the solution 3-4 times, just add a little water each time.

after cleaning i rinse off with cool water and then wipe off the residue with a few paper towels. no tumbing or oven drying needed or wanted. the brass shines like new outside and in. ultrasonic cleaners are awesome, at least for me.

KenH
06-27-2015, 10:58 AM
Does that Ultrasonic cleaner work on other things like jewelry also? If so, I can tell the wife I ordered her a jewelry cleaner {g}, and store it for her in my "room".

Is Amazon about the best price around?

Ken H>

rfd
06-27-2015, 11:18 AM
Does that Ultrasonic cleaner work on other things like jewelry also? If so, I can tell the wife I ordered her a jewelry cleaner {g}, and store it for her in my "room".

Is Amazon about the best price around?

Ken H>

yes, i will clean stuff other than brass cases, just needs a different solution.

i paid 101.49/shipped from optics planet.

KenH
06-27-2015, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the info - looks like Amazon has price beat, but just barely at $93.49 shipped. Thanks for info - I'm trying to decide between Ultrasonic and tumbler. With tumbler I can do a few other things, like maybe rock polish?

Ken H>