PDA

View Full Version : 1/4 bucket of ww content

Mitch
06-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Stopped at the local dealer today to see if there bucket off ww and anything in it.was along day and I am a bit tired so the 1/4 bucket was just right.
here is what I found after sorting no melting yet so this will be clips pait goop and glue included
COWW 16lb
SOWW 5lb
FE WW 16.5lb
ZN WW 4lb
And there was a bit the spungy heavy stuff that I am not sure what it is.and some usual **** and junk maybe a few lbs

So it looks like a 50/50 split.But not so take out for the clips an goop an glue maybe 30 to 40 % is useable lead.

Now for the good news the price was right free.

There was more zn than I ever found before and more fe.I do nopt get a lot of ww but it seems to be hit and miss with how much good lead I get.this is why I don't go huntin ww.I have no clue what to pay if they don't give them away.i do know I count some $ for my time and effort.so if I was to pay for a full bucket it would be no more than 20 bucks.the last full buckest I saw were at the scrap yard they wanted a buck a lb.My offer was 25 per bucket that didn't happen might be a good thing.

Bob

bubbacrabb
06-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Good job on the free. I got a small repair shop that does some tires that gives free wheel weights. It's usually 1/2 lead. I started using dykes to cut into them, to see if they're lead. I think that the right name for the tool, sidecuts is what I used to call em, maybe call them Bruce Jenners lol. I went to the scrap yard and I doubt I ever buy ww again. Spent an hour to get 40 lbs cutting into them. I'm trying to learn what else is good. Ww seam now to be unless they're free a lot of work. Found way more zinc than lead, in fact the scrap owner was really mad knowing she bought non lead ww and said she probably won't buy anymore

Yodogsandman
06-05-2015, 08:17 PM
Good score for free anytime!

Mitch
06-06-2015, 10:19 AM
i agree unless you find some old ww that hav been in a bucket for 20 years not worth payin for.i think you are right some of the scrap yards have not fugured out they are buying everything but lead with the ww.i sure wish i would have stuck with cast years ago.or if there would have been a mentor around to help me out.there were so many places i could have scored big time back in the 80s.there were all kinds of tire shops for the ww.and quite a few radiator repair shops for the tin and still some old printing shops going.Man when i think about this stuff being all right there.

i did try casting back in the 80s i still have the cast bullet manuals i bought back then.i did everything they said and still leaded the gun to hell and back.So we tryed a friend of mines gun and had the same result.bith were S&W 686s.Little did we know it was not our boolts that were the problem.both gun ahd a bad constriction at the barrel frame point.man it sure would hev benngreat to have this site back then.my 686 now shoots lead without much problem.after some fire lapping.My Bud passed away sudenly about 4 years ago befor i figure out how to get the revolvers to shoot lead.He would be impressed i am sure.

340six
06-06-2015, 11:37 AM
My son works at a tire shop. So he brings me the buckets! I then sort and pay for just the lead a the agreed price for just the lead!
I did get one bucket once that was all steel broken lug nuts ect a bottom with WW on top as they were just getting mixed metal price at scrapper
I got 14 pounds of lead out that packed 5 gallon lol
But did only pay for the 14 pounds. t also helps them as they after i sort them have all zinc and steel to sell to scraper and get more $

DaveyDug
06-07-2015, 11:17 PM
I scored a free half bucket last week and was surprised at how much steel was in there. Weight before sorting was 80 lbs. After all was said and done I had 40 lbs of COWW, 5 lbs of SOWW, and the rest was steel with a little zinc mixed in. This was the highest percentage of non-lead wheel weights I've run across.