PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys get your powder?

Jtarm
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
Now I wouldn't blame you for refusing to reveal your source.

I called a reliable LGS. They had 231 priced $38 per lb!!!

I'm pretty much looking for anything with a burn rate of 231 or faster for light-medium loads in ,38 special. HBWCs & Bayou 158 RNs will be the pre-dominate bullets.

I've registered on all the big Web sellers & set alerts on everything.

Is hitting the gun shows to find some dead guy's old powder a good strategy?

Thanks!

Airman Basic
06-05-2015, 03:39 PM
This little thing:
http://gunbot.net/reloading/Powder/
keeps you updated on several websites, but you need to check often. If you depend on email alerts, it's usually gone before you get there, especially pistol powder. Basically try everything.

dragon813gt
06-05-2015, 03:50 PM
The internets. Check early, check often. Even w/ shipping and hazmat as long as I order at least eight pounds it's cheaper than local stores.

Bayou52
06-05-2015, 06:47 PM
Answer - you get it anywhere you find it for an acceptable price. That includes LGS, gunshows, net, etc.

I, also, have not seen 231 for well over a year. But about 3-4 months ago, I came across some IMR 700 X which is a fast burning pistol powder that I use in place of 231 powder. I bought 16 pounds out of an abundance of caution, and I've already used 4 pounds. Should have bought more.....I use a lot for my reloading....

It doesn't meter as good as 231, but it's not bad and burns clean......

Bayou52

jcren
06-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Depends on where you live. Oklahoma gun shows have good supplies of powders but at marked up prices. Some gun stores are better than others and newer powders are more available than old stand-bys. Today I bought as pound of the New cfe pistol for 21.99 + tax.

bangerjim
06-05-2015, 08:21 PM
Expansion Industries sells excellent clean-burning pistol power....ETR7. There a couple threads on here about it.

I use it for all my pistol & carbine loads. Great stuff at around $20/# in quantities.

banger

country gent
06-05-2015, 08:46 PM
Hit as many Local shops as possible when ever you can. If possible find out what days deliveries are made and hit them a day or so after. Some have waiting lists or waiting lists for perfered customers. The one local shop I dealt with used to order special for you also but with chnges this has went away. A coupple friends and I makes day trip over the state to some bigger shops once a year or so to see what we can find also. Internet ( esecially if you can get friends to go in and order full case quanities to break down haz mat) may also help you fid what your looking for. For several years one club I belong to has done a bulk buy once a year on powder then later on for bullets and primers.

GhostHawk
06-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Due Dilligence, Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's have been my best, but recently got a great deal at Ballistic Products on 5 lbs of Red Dot at 20$ per. With the hazmat fee, and shipping it was still cheaper than Bass Pro's starting price.

Pick 3 or 4 places, watch gunbot.net, but also watch 3-4 other sites that normally buy in larger quantities. Check them every day, or maybe twice a day. And it is often posted here if a particular retailer has a particular powder in stock. And when you do find it, buy a bunch of primers to go with it to split up that hazmat fee. And buy a bunch.

A year ago I only had half a pound of dupont 3031, now I'm sitting on 20 lbs. This next year if I buy it will be minimum of 10-15 lbs plus primers. But I have enough that I can start being picky now.

Also I'm loading almost everything with Red Dot, because it lets me shoot for penny's. I'm saving the good stuff for when I truly need it.

claudesapp
06-05-2015, 09:10 PM
I'm finding a lot at Sportsman's Warehouse, fair prices too. Compare their prices to a LGS here in Reno I visited yesterday that wanted $48/lb for pistol powder. They must think I'm desperate AND stupid.

Airman Basic
06-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Also, watch this forum. I've been able to pick up several pounds when members here share their online finds.

RogerDat
06-05-2015, 10:31 PM
+1 on gunbot.net but you have to essentially sit there with it open on the computer waiting for something to appear that you need. I have seen pistol powder last less than 10 minutes from when it shows up there. Also worth having a list of all the alternative powders that might fit the bill. Broaden your list of possible targets.

Check out ADI powder equivalency chart. They make the powders sold by several companies so their list shows stuff that may be equivalent but not normally considered as an alternative powder.

jonp
06-06-2015, 03:56 AM
I check Gungbot several times a day when I need powder and a few of the online line retailers like Wiedners, Grafs etc.. I use Promo for most of my target loads and recently have started with some of the Vectan powders. Pay attention to this forum and a couple of others as members frequently let others know when powder is in different places.
In the last year or two I've been able to get all the powder I need of the type I need doing this.

lightman
06-06-2015, 12:08 PM
I make large orders from Powder Valley inc. I get a few shooting buddies together and order the max amount that can be shipped in a single box, thus splitting the haz fees.

Wayne Smith
06-06-2015, 02:35 PM
My local range must have a great supplier. They have almost everything on the shelf and for halfway reasonable prices. Have some 8lb jugs, too. I'm in pretty good shape now.

EddieNFL
06-07-2015, 08:59 AM
Another vote for Gunbot. Haven't had to change my shooting habits.

tiger762
06-07-2015, 05:29 PM
Local type 06/08 FFL/SOT had a 55# drum of Maxam CSB-1. $660 cash money. Sold off a fraction to a fellow reloader. I have a lifetime's supply of pistol powder now..

Now I wouldn't blame you for refusing to reveal your source.

FISH4BUGS
06-07-2015, 08:48 PM
I make large orders from Powder Valley inc. I get a few shooting buddies together and order the max amount that can be shipped in a single box, thus splitting the haz fees.
Ditto here. I have purchased cases of 748 8 lb's and 231 recently. The 231 was in 4 lb jugs but hey....you can't be picky. I always split a case with a fellow machine gun shooter and the price with hazmat fees and shipping is rather reasonable.
You need to watch PV's website three or four times a day, and when you see it, order it immediately ON LINE. If you order it by phone, it is possible to run out before getting to your order. Doing it on line reserves the powder.
Diligence....that's all it takes. You must become obsessed.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
06-07-2015, 09:14 PM
http://hi-techammo.com/collections/surplus-military-gunpowder/products/csb-1-pistol-shotgun-powder

retread
06-08-2015, 01:05 AM
Expansion Industries sells excellent clean-burning pistol power....ETR7. There a couple threads on here about it.

I use it for all my pistol & carbine loads. Great stuff at around $20/# in quantities.

banger

I'm with bangerjim on ETR-7. It meters well and performs well on my pistol calibers.

ioon44
06-08-2015, 08:36 AM
Try this sight

http://armsandammo.com/

Jtarm
06-08-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks all for jogging my memory to recall an LGS about 1/2-hour away. I picked up a few pounds of 700x around $22 per..

Ken in Iowa
06-21-2015, 11:38 PM
Sportsmans Warehouse has been a good source for me in recent years.

I have also helped old timers dispose of old powder stocks. All had at least some powder that I used for fertilizer, but I gained a good amount of useful powder. The odd stuff came in quite handy to help through the shortages.

Motor
06-22-2015, 04:32 AM
A one room "gun shop" in a one street town in SW PA. :)

In the past 3 to 4 years he's been the only one to have it "locally". It's not old stock either. He just knows how to get it. Price has stayed ok too nothing over $30 for a pound. Most less.

Motor