PDA

View Full Version : gc mold for pistols ?

Willoughby
06-05-2015, 12:46 PM
Im wanting to get into casting and looking to buy some equipment
I will have more questions but for now
I cant seem to find a .401 or a .452 mold with a gc design
do I need gc for 10mm auto or 45acp ?
I shoot jacketed bullets at
.400 180gr @ 1250 -1300 velocity
200gr @ 1050 -1200 velocity
.451 185gr 1000-1100
230 gr 850-950
I would like to stay close to these velocity's if possible

Cowboy_Dan
06-05-2015, 04:46 PM
At those velocities, a gas check should not be necessary. I shoot .44 mag through a rifle and haven't needed checks yet. I think my velocities are just a bit higher than you give, but I haven't chronied them as yet.

Good Cheer
06-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Needed, not needed, good or bad...
Depends upon the pistol or revolver and what you're trying to make it do.
Sorry that's not much of an answer but it just depends.
For the .401 and the .452 diameter in pistols you should most likely be able to make things work well without gas checks.

bangerjim
06-05-2015, 08:26 PM
I shoot pistols at those velocities (estimated) and never use GC's

Only Cu GC's I use are on 223 and 30 cal rifle slugs.

But it depends on the slug size of your barrel and the fit you get with your cast.

"Fit is King".

I PC everything with excellent success.

bnagerjim

GhostHawk
06-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Agree pretty much with everything said above. Above 1400 fps you probably want gas checks. Below in most cases it probably is not really required. If your interested in paying that 3-4 cents each for checks go ahead.

I'm like BangerJim, save the checks for the higher speed rifle, .223, 7.62x39 and 7.62x54r, and .444 marlin all get checks.
.357 mag in rifle I am not pushing them hard enough yet to need them.

.45acp I doubt I will ever need with gas checks.

If you are shooting mostly pistol, might want to look at PC or similar coatings.

Blammer
06-05-2015, 09:23 PM
for what you say you shoot and the velocity, I'd would say you most likely do NOT need GC's.

if you need them a tad harder water quenching is your friend.

I would focus on bullet fit and a good lube and you should be good to go with plain base bullets.

Willoughby
06-05-2015, 10:14 PM
sorry but Im really new to this
what is pc coating ?

osteodoc08
06-06-2015, 02:08 AM
sorry but Im really new to this
what is pc coating ?

Powder Coating. It replaces traditional lube and makes the boolits purdy

RobsTV
06-06-2015, 07:50 AM
NOE has G/C molds .403 that work great for any 40S&W. But, even after getting one of these, as that was all that was on sale at the time, still shoot them without G/C, either lubed or PC'd, with no leading or issues, and identical accuracy.

Willoughby
06-07-2015, 10:40 PM
Powder Coating. It replaces traditional lube and makes the boolits purdy
so if I pc bullets, there is no need for any lube at all ?, just want to be sure im understanding you correctly , so if I intended to pc I wouldn't need to worry about lube design in molds ? or is there mold types that are best for pc coating ? -sorry for all the questions , Im here to learn

RobsTV
06-08-2015, 08:17 AM
so if I pc bullets, there is no need for any lube at all ?, just want to be sure im understanding you correctly , so if I intended to pc I wouldn't need to worry about lube design in molds ? or is there mold types that are best for pc coating ? -sorry for all the questions , Im here to learn

Correct. No lube needed at all.

There now are some molds designed specifically for PC, never tried so can't comment on if they are any better. But I can say that I don't see how they can be any better for the most part, as PC boolits produced from normal molds for pistols are every bit as good as normal lube boolits, or in other words, normal molds seem as perfect as can be had already. Plus, with normal molds you have the advantage that "if" someone ever wanted to do so, they could lube them and shoot that way. Can't do that with molds designed for PC, since lube grooves are missing. You eliminate a lot of resale potential.

MT Chambers
06-11-2015, 04:00 PM
For top end loads in the .44 Mag. and esp. the .454 Casull, I use gas check bullets, I would imagine that you would need them for top end loads in the .357 as well.

LUCKYDAWG13
06-12-2015, 07:46 AM
For top end loads in the .44 Mag. and esp. the .454 Casull, I use gas check bullets, I would imagine that you would need them for top end loads in the .357 as well.

me to but just in my Contender & Encore barrels that's it all the rest just P/B Keith style or R/N for the Auto

fredj338
06-17-2015, 02:21 PM
A gc can help accuracy in a finicky bbl. They can help with leading if pushing softer alloys hard. For most handgun apps, just not needed, even for magnums running 1400fps+. I have had the gc removed form several of my molds, the extra step & cost, not worth it for me. Maybe with higher pressure rifle loads, but I haven't gone there yet with a lead bullet.