PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Leather Protective Gear On The Cheap

Just Duke
03-21-2008, 12:40 AM
I picked up this jacket and coveralls at the local welding shop on the cheap for ingot making protection. $70.00 for everything with gloves. It is made by John Tillman & Co.

The pics are not of me though. ;)

http://www.jtillman.com/search/clothing.html

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/50%20CALIBERFORUM/TILLMANJACKET.jpg

http://www.jtillman.com/search/clothing.html

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/50%20CALIBERFORUM/TILLMANCOVERALS.jpg

Dale53
03-21-2008, 12:50 AM
The leather gear looks VERY nice. You just need to add leather gauntlet gloves, a hat, and face and eye protection. I notice that you have boots on - that is VERY important to have your trousers over hang your boots (having feet exposed is probably second only to having your face and eyes exposed).

Frankly, I go at it a little differently. I wear bib overalls, a long sleeved shirt, and a long shop apron over all, together, with a hat and safety glasses. I have had the tinsel fairy visit me and the layers of cloth offer all of the protection needed. A single layer will allow too much heat through but two layers of clothing solves that.

NOTE:
All clothing needs to be 100% cotton. Synthetic clothing will melt when splashed with lead and you'll believe you have been napalmed (pretty much the same effect).

FWIW

Dale53

HeavyMetal
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
This is going to be interesting!

Your in Las Vagas and plan to suit up in all that leather??

Dude I'm into safety but I think you'll dehadrate faster than a drop of water in a Blast Furnance! Suggest you air condition your casting area or you'll keel over!

A set of good safety glass's, the welding gloves that should have come with this getup and a little common sense ( this means don't cast in your BVD's barefoot) should be all you need. I have a leather welding Bib that looks much like you second photo without the legs on the rare occasion I feel it's needed!

Just Duke
03-21-2008, 01:04 AM

Dude I'm into safety but I think you'll dehadrate faster than a drop of water in a Blast Furnance! Suggest you air condition your casting area or you'll keel over!

A set of good safety glass's, the welding gloves that should have come with this getup and a little common sense ( this means don't cast in your BVD's barefoot) should be all you need. I have a leather welding Bib that looks much like you second photo without the legs on the rare occasion I feel it's needed!

Naw. It is not that hot hear right now. 70 maybe. Most days until today I was wearing Carhart or Ski Jacket. I plan on having the whole jag of lead done in the next couple weeks. It should be much cooler for me than it is for our brave boys in A-Stan in body armor.
Besides I have been doing this since 1977 and stopped 1998 or so or so I got a little experience under my belt. ;0 This is pretty much what the welder that build the high rises here in Vegas wear and in the summer. Ouch! For me it will just be a couple of days or so I hope.

How's the weather in OC HM? :-D

Just Duke
03-21-2008, 01:07 AM
The leather gear looks VERY nice. You just need to add leather gauntlet gloves, a hat, and face and eye protection. I notice that you have boots on - that is VERY important to have your trousers over hang your boots (having feet exposed is probably second only to having your face and eyes exposed).

Frankly, I go at it a little differently. I wear bib overalls, a long sleeved shirt, and a long shop apron over all, together, with a hat and safety glasses. I have had the tinsel fairy visit me and the layers of cloth offer all of the protection needed. A single layer will allow too much heat through but two layers of clothing solves that.

NOTE:
All clothing needs to be 100% cotton. Synthetic clothing will melt when splashed with lead and you'll believe you have been napalmed (pretty much the same effect).

FWIW

Dale53

Thanks Dale but the handsome young fellow is not me though.. ;)

Just Duke
03-21-2008, 11:36 AM
I guess I forgot to add the leather is for foundy/ingot making and not general bullet casting.

compass will
03-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Here is the route I went.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/94100-94199/94128.gif
$14.95 Harbor freight.
Plus one of these for $3.00
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/96500-96599/96542.gif

Add a Hat, and jacket under the apron with heavy jeans and boots, throw in a little common sense and I hope I am covered.

Dale53
03-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Yeah, the MOST important thing of all - COMMON SENSE (seems that it tain't very common after all:mrgreen:).

Glad to see that the good people are taking some sensible safety precautions.

Dale53

HeavyMetal
03-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Duke:
Just got home and the atomic clock tells me it's 79.6 degrees in the living room. I('m headed for a warm summer. Last yr I had 103 in the living room in late July!

Compass will show's the rig I got and at the same place Harbor Freight!

compass will
03-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Compass will show's the rig I got and at the same place Harbor Freight!

PS: that's not me in those pictures either.

OBXPilgrim
03-21-2008, 09:44 PM
What? no one like Dubber123's set-up

(photo on one of the other posts)

Just Duke
09-14-2008, 09:55 PM
For the new guys. ;)

EMC45
09-15-2008, 05:47 PM
So flip flops are out?[smilie=1:

Southern Son
09-18-2008, 05:24 AM
EMC45, you will never get a job Down Under with that attitude, thongs are acceptable foot wear anywhere at anytime, smelting lead, in the Boardroom, going out to dinner, they are the ONLY genuine all purpose foot wear.

Just Duke
09-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Here you go "oh one of little faith". lol :roll:

Looks like I got $70.00 wrapped up into the whole thing and it should last a lifetime.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/003-3.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd255/EBRSOPMODS/LEVER%20ACTION%20SHOOTERS%20SOCIETY/007.jpg

schutzen
09-27-2008, 09:44 AM
For smelting I use a Vinex Guard Line Flame and Aluminum Splash Resistant Coat by Westex, Inc. It is much lighter and cooler than leathers. It also covers more. Sorry I don't have a picture, but it is made like a lab coat. Below is the Westex description of Vinex. Check thier web site for more information.

VINEX®
Vinex

Vinex, 85% inherently flame resistant vinyl and 15% polynosic rayon blend fabrics by Westex, have been successfully incorporated into protective clothing programs at major aluminum companies worldwide for nearly two decades. Vinex continues to set the standard as the benchmark fabric in today’s aluminum industry.

Protection

Vinex is inherently flame resistant and will retain these flame resistant properties throughout the service life of the garment. Vinex is specifically engineered to perform as a specialty protective clothing fabric for use in the aluminum industry because it exhibits a unique ability to shed molten metal. Vinex has been extensively tested at the BTTG Laboratories in The United Kingdom and select styles are certified to EN 531, EN 373 (classified to D1 and D2) standards. Since insulation from thermal heat sources is directly related to fabric weight, heavier weight styles of Vinex will offer more protection from second-degree burns than lighter weights. Many aluminum companies have also performed in-house splash tests to determine the protection level required for their unique situation.

Comfort

Employee acceptance is crucial to the success of any protective clothing program. For nearly two decades, Vinex has been worn by tens of thousands of aluminum workers around the world, with positive reports on comfort. Since comfort is a subjective characteristic, and as such, cannot be predicted by lab tests, we encourage wear trial evaluations to allow the ultimate wearer to experience the comfort benefits first-hand.

Industrial Laundry Care

Vinex fabrics are being effectively handled by industrial laundries worldwide using normal processing equipment. This is an important performance factor as the majority of garments used in the aluminum industry require industrial care to effectively remove soiling and potentially harmful contaminants. In addition, competitive fabrics used in the aluminum industry are very difficult to process using conventional industrial laundry equipment and procedures. Please contact Westex for detailed laundering instructions.

Stock Availability

Westex carries substantial inventories of Vinex in their North American and European warehousing locations to support existing protective uniform programs and service the increasing worldwide demand for Vinex.

Just Duke
11-15-2008, 10:07 PM
Here you go.

Was casting today and it was cold in the shop had a leather jacket on and leather apron + my leather gloves, was doing good until my hand slipped and I dumped a double cavity 230 g mould full of hot lead in my lap. No harm done as the apron caught it all and kept it from burning something important. Do not get lazy take time to put your gear on, never can tell what you might save.

jcwit
11-15-2008, 11:27 PM
I've always said "If you walk thru the pasture long enough, sooner or later you're going to step in it".

Just Duke
11-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I've always said "If you walk thru the pasture long enough, sooner or later you're going to step in it".
Said this wise man. ;)

cajun shooter
11-16-2008, 12:36 AM
I guess I should send in my pics of the T-shirt, shorts and flops that I bought from the local safety equipment house here in Louisiana. I started to post the site for anyone thats looking to buy this same gear but I think everyone has been there. We call it Wally World in these parts. Oh I almost forgot the above equipment must be used with glasses for full effect.

dubber123
11-16-2008, 10:14 AM
What? no one like Dubber123's set-up

(photo on one of the other posts)

I wondered if anyone would remember that one![smilie=1:

Newfoundlander2
12-08-2008, 02:43 AM

Indeed! I'm a cancer survivor and belive me YOU DONT WANT IT! I don't blame the hobby but after going through such an ordeal wearing a respirator, heavy gloves and as much protection as you can while smelting/casting simply isn't an "inconvenience" like chemo and surgery is. I know that lead fumes aren't hazardous at most temps we use but the less we come in contact with a known threat the better. In addition to the lead we expose oursleves to we're often wrist deep in carcinogenic solvents and oils that are absorbed topicly. Anybody who treats such items in a cavalier fashion is living in a fools' paradise. If you don't want to wear appropriate saftey gear that's cool. However take it form me there's nothing more painful than the look on the face of a loved one after you tell them you have cancer. I'd rather stand next to an exlpoding pot in flip-flops and a tank top then go through that again.

Live long and strong!