PDA

View Full Version : Single Seven hammer binding

Zim
06-04-2015, 04:02 PM
After 2 range sessions with a Single Seven, the hammer would bind while trying to cock it. Any one else seen this? Along with the cylinder pin jumping out (fairly common), I thought we would have an easy fix. Ruger called and said, "not fixable." Guessing they are done with the parts in the drawer.

Anyone else having the hammer bind up? Tilting the gun to the left and easing up on the hammer let whatever holding it out, drop out of the way and able to fire normally. Just wasn't working right. Did not happen when not at the range. Explain that one to me.

I may grab another 7 shot 6 shooter, but wondering how common this problem is. I was surprised when Ruger said, "not fixable."

308w
06-04-2015, 04:10 PM
Most likely its a combination of the cylinder pin jumping forward. There is a spring loaded pin/plunger in the end if the cylinder pin that pushes against the transfer bar and only works correctly if the pin is where its supposed to be. If it moves out even a tiny bit it will allow the transfer bar to interfere with cocking the hammer.
In other words, fix the pin moving and that will probably solve the hammer binding.

Zim
06-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Sounds like an easy fix. But Ruger doesn't agree. If it was just the cross bar, I still think it would be fixable.

44man
06-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Most likely its a combination of the cylinder pin jumping forward. There is a spring loaded pin/plunger in the end if the cylinder pin that pushes against the transfer bar and only works correctly if the pin is where its supposed to be. If it moves out even a tiny bit it will allow the transfer bar to interfere with cocking the hammer.
In other words, fix the pin moving and that will probably solve the hammer binding.
I would say this is it. The transfer bar will run into the firing pin if not held back by the plunger.

Zim
06-04-2015, 08:24 PM
I'm cycling the the Single Six 32 Mag and I see what you are saying 308w and 44 Man. Thanks for the explanation! Wiggle it and the transfer bar gets past the firing pin. Ruger fixed the other cylinder pin jumps, why keep this one? I'm confused.

wrench man
06-04-2015, 11:56 PM
Yep, mine does that too, the base pin is jumping and the spring pin isn't there to hold the transfer bar back.