PDA

View Full Version : What's the 'ideal' weight projectile for 38:55, ?

Martini Sportco
06-04-2015, 02:09 AM
Hi all,

I recently purchased a rebarreled Pedersoli Sharps in 38:55.
After slugging the bore I find it measures precisely .380.

What are the suggestions for an ideal weight cast bullit for target shooting to 200 yds.

I have been told by a fellow competitor that a heavy projectile is better than a lighter one to assist in good powder burn.
I have a Lee 250 gr mold at the moment which is shooting ok with 20:1, but would like to up the anty a bit and go for a
better quality mold.
Our local manufacture, C.B.E., Produces .381 in 265 grns and 285 grns, and a .382 in 265 grns.
What are your thoughts. ?

Cheers. M.S.

martinibelgian
06-04-2015, 12:22 PM
1st thing to do is to check your twist rate, and see what max. bullet length it will be able to stabilize - then you can go shopping for a longer (heavier) bullet. But with BP, the heavier the bullet, the cleaner the burn (higher pressure) - and for longer ranges a better BC (As in longer bullets) would also be useful. But as stated above, the main limiting factor is the twist rate of the barrel.

country gent
06-04-2015, 12:57 PM
I have to agree twist rate is going to make a big factor in selection of the bullet. Wrap a patch around a brush and get started an inch or so pulling into the throat put a tape flag on the cleaning rod in line with the fronnt sight. Pull rod out until flag has made 1 revolution and measure from barrel face to flag this will tell you twist rate of 1 turn in XX inches. I have the lyman 38 cal 335 grn postell mould here to use in a 38-55 im in the rolling block Im building. Once you find the twist rate look at Buffalo arms, Trac of the Wolf and some others and purchase some to test in your rifle before buying the moulds. My shooting partner ? spotter shots a 38-55 C-Sharps high wall with the 312grn rcbs bullet. Edge hits and longer ranges can be tough to see at times on the heavy swinging shillouettes. You dont get alot of movement or a big ring from them very often. ( Not like the 550 grainers from my 45-90 when they hit solid.) If you want to punch holes in paper then bullet weight isnt as important, If you want to shoot shillouettes ( swingers) bullet weight becomes more important to make sure hits are seen and heard readily. If standing shillouettes then a solid performing load with a heavy bullet and energy is called for as targets are only scored when knocked over ringing and or spinning dosnt count if still standing......... A good well desighned bullet in the 300 -340 grain ranges should do all you ever want to.

EDG
06-04-2015, 03:32 PM
If you carefully consider twist as a factor you will find that there is a good bit of information you can study.
Then you will still have a problem deciding. But there are amazing calculators available.

Here is one that is fun to play with

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/barrel_twist.htm

http://www.geoffrey-kolbe.com/drag.htm

John Boy
06-04-2015, 04:40 PM
What are the suggestions for an ideal weight cast bullit for target shooting to 200 yds.
Buy the remake of the Ideal 320gr 375166 and you will be very happy with the performance of the bullet
* First Range Test of the bullet with 42 grs Swiss
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd220/Meadowmucker/Targets/Ideal%20375166/IMGP0320.jpg (http://s222.photobucket.com/user/Meadowmucker/media/Targets/Ideal%20375166/IMGP0320.jpg.html)

Martini Sportco
06-05-2015, 04:11 AM
Thanks guys, I will check the twist. It was rebarrelled from 45:70 before I bought it, the barrel is new, Douglas I think.
Guessing 1:16 but will check it out.

Thanks again, Ian.

Boz330
06-05-2015, 09:12 AM
Like Country Gent I had really good luck with the Lyman Postel copy but it is too small in diameter for your groove. It shoots outstandingly in my 15 twist Badger barreled 75 Sharps. I have shot this out to 600yd with good luck.
The Lee 250gr works good for hunting.
I won this match twice with the 38-55 and placed twice more with the above mentioned rifle.
Enjoy and have fun.

Bob