PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Uniflow upgrade

omgb
06-03-2015, 09:18 PM
I just upgraded my Uniflow by attaching a Hornady case activated powder drop. Wow! Why I didn't do that years ago I sure don't know. I get the smaller drum size and micro stem of the RCBS and the case activation and expanding operation of the Hornady. Even better it was a simple bolt on with no mods required. :wink:

wcp4570
06-03-2015, 11:32 PM
Yes the case activated powder drop is really slick. I have the the RCBS unit on my piggyback and abosutle love it. The original powder drop on the piggyback was very troublematic.

wcp

omgb
06-03-2015, 11:39 PM
Yup, this is something Hornady really got right.

L Erie Caster
06-04-2015, 01:27 AM
As I understand it RCBS licensed the Uniflo design to Hornady and Hornady licensed the case activation system to RCBS. That is why no modification is required.

rpludwig
06-04-2015, 06:56 AM
Yes the case activated powder drop is really slick. I have the the RCBS unit on my piggyback and abosutle love it. The original powder drop on the piggyback was very troublematic.

wcp

+1...well worth it!

j4570
06-04-2015, 10:55 PM
I never studied it, but I have an RCBS case activated drop I added to my old Uniflow I use on my Dillon to load extruded rifle powder. I since bought a Hornady Lock and Load AP and use it for pistol. They do look similar, but not sure all the parts would interchange.

But what I'm understanding is that an RCBS Uniflow will work with a Hornady Case Activated Powder drop.

And yes, the old rod in the middle of a Hornady Pro-Jector to work the powder drop stunk. A friend had one and he'd inevitably drop powder by forgetting to disconnect the rod.

omgb
06-05-2015, 08:39 AM
It's a simple bolt on deal. The linkage fits perfectly without any modification.

Electric88
06-05-2015, 08:45 AM
Has anybody used the micrometer upgrade for the Uniflow? I've got the old style right now that just has the threaded rod with a nylon nut, and it tends to move around... I was thinking about getting the micrometer to better dial in the charge and hold there. The Uniflow I have is probably 15 years old, though I'm assuming it will still work

wcp4570
06-05-2015, 09:14 AM
I personal don't think the micrometer upgrade is worth the cost ( not knocking those that like them). My uniflo is probably 30+ years old and has the standard stem with a steel nut and wafer washer for tension that works well. I also have a redding PM with the micro stem that I use when loading single stage (this is the reason for my decision). I set powder charge the same with both measure, adjust and weigh until I hit my charge.

wcp

Electric88
06-05-2015, 09:37 AM
That's what my Uniflow has, the stem with the nut... and the nut seems to get loose while loading. It can make the powder charges vary more than I care for and I wanted to fix it. I just wasn't sure the best way of doing it

wcp4570
06-05-2015, 10:20 AM
Call RCBS and request the wafer washer to fix that. They will send it at no charge. Just tell them what your PM is doing.

wcp

Electric88
06-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Awesome Thanks!

country gent
06-05-2015, 11:35 AM
I have the micrometer adjustment on my uniflow and where it shines is if you keep good records 50 on the scales is always pretty much the same charge just needs a little fine tuning occassionally. MIne has had the drum housing jig ground and lapped round the sides ground square to bore, a new drum fabricated wto .0005 clearence on housing and .001 end play side plates hold this. The micrometer adjustment added and a baffle in the hopper. Quite a few lunch hours time involved in this. It is betterthan when standard but still not on par with an upper end measure like harrels or bruno or oneof the culiver conversions. The micrometer adjust does make resetting to diffrent charges easier if you document the settings though

rpludwig
06-06-2015, 06:35 AM
have the rcbs micrometer and wouldn't be without it....eze to dial in repeat charges, holds setting, meters great...well worth it imo...