PDA

View Full Version : Win 94 Commemorative

kd5zmg
06-03-2015, 08:58 PM
Hey all,

New here, and having fun with the Buffalo Bill Commemorative I traded with my father in law for a CZ452 .22 rifle. However, I was wondering if anyone is actively using their commemorative. I mean active, I use mine monthly in our Cowboy Silhouette matches. Well, I want to change out the front sight to a fiber dot and I currently have a Williams Peep for the Rear sight. I am removing the current rear dovetail sight shortly.

Also, should I be replacing the front sight with the same height front sight when I find the fiber optic sight I am looking for?

Thanks,

Mark

Mike67
06-03-2015, 10:49 PM
I have not shot in a match but I have really come to enjoy my Teddy Roosevelt commemorative what a great shooter it is. As match director at my gun club for CMP service rifle and Vintage military bolt gun matches I would love to add a lever action rifle match just to see what kind of turn out we could get.

kd5zmg
06-03-2015, 10:59 PM
Mike,

I am having fun shooting in the social match and have brought one co-worker with me. We have another one the weekend of the 13th of June here in Albuquerque, NM at the Zia Rifle & Pistol Club. I took off the front and rear sight and have the Williams sight on now. I am waiting for the Marble's sight slot dovetail blank and the Marble's Front Sight .570". I am hoping this is the right height for the front sight. I guess when it comes in I can compare the original and new one.

Anyone have any pointers on putting the new front sight in. I am asking in terms of keeping the ping marks to a minimum to non existent...

Frank46
06-03-2015, 11:52 PM
Some years back I bought one of the octagon barreled canadian centennials with the carbine barrel. Loves winchester power points. Put a globe sight up front and a williams on the back. I calls it my lever action match rifle. Not too long ago I got it's big brother same series of commorative rifle with the 26" long barrel. Have another globe sight but thinking about doing one of the old steel lyman sights drilled and tapped for the two holes in the receiver. Will not be using the 66a which was made for these rifles. got a few in my junk box so picking one out and getting it drilled and counterbored will be the trick. Frank

kd5zmg
06-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Sounds very cool Frank. I know this 26" 94 is pretty straight. I just need to put the rounds on paper at 50yds, 100yds, 150yds and 200yds to see where it is shooting at with my hand loads. I have to make sure this is done before next weekend... with work, school, family and church my plate is super full... YIKES!

northmn
06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Seen a couple of Commeratives for sale that had the cheap stamped elevator made around 64. Otherwise I would shoot one. As to the height of a fiber optic sight you can use the same as original unless the original caused problems.

DP

45-70 Chevroner
06-04-2015, 10:51 PM
When I was shooting cowboy with our local club, modern fiber optic sights were not allowed. We tried to keep our shooting equipment as traditional as possiable, that being said the new site you are getting should be as close to the same height as possiable. I have to admit though, with my aging eyes fiber optic sights sure help a lot. I recently bought a new MGM 44 mag 13 7/8" TC barrel and had a Williams peep rear sight and a fiber optic front sight put on and I really like them.

Frank46
06-05-2015, 12:47 AM
Bought the Canadian carbine because I've always wanted one with the octagon style barrel thought they were cool. Plus the extra weight always helps. Cherry's had the 26" octagon barreled rifle so for my 65th birthday got that one. Like the way the rifle just seems to just hang out there when you shoot it. I was watching a lever action silhouette match on the boob tube and one guy was shooting the winchester NRA musket with cast bullets. 30-30 and cast bullets were made for each other. though I have to confess I have a model 54 winchester action that was factory drilled and tapped for both scope mounts and iron sights and one of these days I'm hoping to do something with it. Still have the bishop stock that was inletted for the factory barreled action carbine style . Made in 1928 Frank

TXGunNut
06-07-2015, 09:24 AM
I find it amusing that most of these commemoratives don't make it as collectibles and make it to the used gun racks in new or nearly new condition for the price of a well-worn shooter, sometimes less. Many have very nice wood and great fit & finish. I have a Legendary Frontiersman that is an excellent shooter and nice to look at as well. Had to change out the sights but it seems I need to do that pretty regularly anyway.
Welcome to the forum, Mark!

pietro
06-07-2015, 11:41 AM

I've used several M-94 commemoratives for hunting, like a .30-30 NRA Centennial Rifle that was like a Model 64 Deer Rifle, a .32 Special Canadian Railroad Centennial that was like a Model 55, and a .45-70 Model 1886 High Grade Extra Light.

Where else can one obtain a new rifle, with many of the Winchester Custom Shop features, for only a fraction of the cost of a gennie in like condition ?

A plus, for me, is that I have an interesting rifle to fondle in those quiet times when awaiting game to appear.