PDA

View Full Version : Ideal Handloading tool

richhodg66
06-03-2015, 07:45 PM
As of today, I am the proud owner of one of these old Ideal tools for casting and reloading the .32 S&W long. I used to watch my Dad load with one when I was little, but don't remember all the steps.

Obviously, the mold on the end casts the bullet. There are no dies, but there is a hole in one of the handles I assume sizes the case??? Then there is a nub on the other handle opposite that hole which obviously is for priming. There doesn't seem to be a de capper, but I have a Lee punch that will do it.

There's an extension on the left handle that a case goes into, looks like it is the bullet seater as there is a little spring loaded extractor on the opposite handle to pull the finished cartridge out. About the only thing that doesn't seem real obvious is how you flare the case mouth, but the extension for seating bullets is tapered on the outside with what looks like a diameter and taper angle that might be intended for that????

I'm sure I can find directions on the web or youtube, but I thought I'd ask. Neat tool, I'm looking forward to playing with it.

.22-10-45
06-03-2015, 11:18 PM
Your discription sounds like the Ideal No. 1..a non-adjustable tool for loading the bullet produced from the attached mould. You are correct in that the little nub is for priming..the hole opposite supports the case rim during this operation. You also are right about the tapered end of loading chamber being used for belling case mouth to ease bullet entry/seating. There was a small part..usually lost, that had a bullet nose shaped end & a small dia. pin on the other..this was dropped into loading die & a case inserted into die mouth..closing handles ejected spent primer. Ideal made adjustable chambered tools for loading different style bullets..but the early revolver chamberings were mainly non-adjustable. I use an early nickled tool..a .25-21/.25 Stevens double adjustable tool for loading an original Ballard .25-25 Stevens with cast bullets from original Ideal moulds. They are lots of fun and takes one back to an earlier less hurried time.

bedbugbilly
06-04-2015, 09:34 AM
Rich - sounds like you got a nice tool! You'll enjoy using that!

I have several. As far as the seating chamber goes - I have an Ideal set of tongs for 38 special that doesn't have the mold on the end - but the seating chamber is non-adjustable as you describe yours. It works very well on the 38 special using the traditional 160is round nose boolit. I she an old Winchester mold that is stamped on the handle "S & W 38 spl" that throws the traditional RN and I also use a Lyman/Ideal 358-311 - same boolit basically. I've used the tongs for both smokeless and BP loading - when I insert the bullet/casing into the seating chamber, it seats it perfectly and applies a nice roll crimp - couldn't ask for anything nicer! Yours will work the same on the cartridge it it for. If yours has the mold, it may also have a longer "stud" on the inside of the handle opposite the handle that has the seating chamber? If so, that is for sizing the boolit after casting. If yours has that . . after you cast with the old, just table lube them in paste wax to lubricate and try pushing it through the sizing hole - should work just fine - unless you can use them "as cast".

I just picked up a set of Ideal tongs for 32-20 (32 WCF) as I'm going to be reloading that. I can't wait to get started and seeing how they work. I also have several Winchester tongs in 32-20 that look like the'll work just fine as well.

Mine are also missing the "de-capping insert" that goes into the seating chamber. They were easily lost and now, they bring some hefty prices for what they are in desirable calibers. I de-prime all of my brass on a single stage with a universal de-capper so it's really not an issue. As you state, a person can easily use a de-capping punch and I'm sure that when these were in popular use, many folks resorted to that if they lost their insert.

Enjoy that tong tool - I really wish that somebody was still making them but I suppose the cost would be more than the market would bear. The one thing about the Ideal tongs is that, if taken care of, they will last many generations. Enjoy!

richhodg66
06-04-2015, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'm away from my brass stash, but I'll have to give this a whirl, I'll have to cast som bullets with it too (not looking forward to those steel handles).

I wonder if those decapping inserts could be made up now? Maybe if someone had one, a skilled machinist could make a copy. For now, I'll use my Lee punch.

Mk42gunner
06-04-2015, 01:24 PM
Rich,

I don't have any of the fixed chamber tong tools, although I do have a few 310's.

I don't see why the depriming insert couldn't be made from an unloved 1/16" pin punch with a little lathe or drill and file work. That is if I understand it correctly.

As to sizing boolets with the sizing hole in the handle, in his book "Sixgun Cartridges and Loads" Elmer Keith recommended not doing that, as he had rarely if ever found one with a round hole. You may get lucky though.

I bet it is hard to hold the tool while casting, even with gloves.

Robert

jrmartin1964
06-04-2015, 03:28 PM
I have an Ideal No.1 for .41 Long Colt with the attached mould, and I can tell you that the handles do get very hot, very quickly. Even with gloves the experience is not altogether pleasant. It is no small wonder that moulds with wooden handles became the norm.

richhodg66
06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Gonna look around the house for something to wrap those handles in, I think the wife has some old pot holders she won't miss.

Talked to Dad about this one and he said they do indeed get very hot, too hot in fact to cast good bullets and thet a guy needs to deliberately keep his casting rhythm pretty slow as a result.