PDA

View Full Version : Will be OK to shoot loads with shorter brass loads in the Marlin 45-70 guns?

huntersdog
06-03-2015, 06:17 PM
I was wondering if it would be safe and okay to shoot short 45-70 brass loads in the Marlin 1895 45-70 Guide gun ever action. 45-70 brass length at 1.800 long. I was wondering if it would have much effect on the lever action rifle. If it is safe it will make it a very versatile tool.

06ackley
06-03-2015, 06:39 PM
I know several guys who are doing it,myself included and have had no problems.

georgerkahn
06-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Several factors come into play: Just as shooting .22 shorts in a .22s/l/lr firearm may burn a "fire-ring", using any shorter cases may do similar; ALSO, as space is reduced from the shorter-than-SAAMI spec length pressures may significantly increase. (The standard warning to reduce loads when using thicker, military brass rather than commercial comes to mind!) On the other hand, the .45-70 Govt is a rimmed case, so I do not believe headspace will be an issue. ALSO, many loaders load their boolits as far out as practicable to ensure action still functions, and the "jump" from case to leade is minimized. A last note is -- and I'm guessing here -- I have two .45-70 Govt Marlin '95 Guide Guns -- and I'd be afraid a too-short OAL might cause a jam... loading .38S&W Specials in a .357 chambered Marlin I have did it. Mag-jam! You did not indicate "how short" YOUR brass is. If it were "me", for a start, I'd load several dummy rounds -- no primer and/or powder -- to see how they function. If OK, then it's not too challenging to put in a primer and and measure in some powder...
BEST!
georgerkahn

missionary5155
06-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Greetings
This is similar to shooting 38Special in a 357 mag chamber. No safety issue if the ammo is safe pressure wise.
The big issue develops as your "short brass" begins to leave a carbon ring in the chamber just in front of the short brass. Maybe you decide to shoot some full length brass one day without cleaning out that short brass carbon build up. Sometimes the full length brass will not chamber or chamber easily so that should set off the warning light. If the full length brass chambers you may have a condition where when you touch off that load the brass has no where to expand and release the projectile. Pressure can get bizzar and you could end up with maybe just a blown primer or as bad as a destroyed rifle.
But if you will remember to clean the chamber well before firing long brass in that chamber no problem.
Mike in Peru

Djones
06-03-2015, 09:27 PM
I shoot 1.8" brass in my 45-70s for IN deer hunting. I will post a link to my load development.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/247012-45-70-deer-legal-round-development.html

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/310396-45-70-deer-legal-year-ii.html

GrizzLeeBear
06-04-2015, 08:02 AM
I know this technically meets the letter of the law and they have been doing it in Indiana, but since it is new in Michigan you might want to get something in writing from the DNR, etc that says its OK. Just in case you come across a game warden that wants to gives you a ticket for using your 45-70 lever gun.

huntersdog
06-04-2015, 09:31 AM
I shoot 1.8" brass in my 45-70s for IN deer hunting. I will post a link to my load development.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/247012-45-70-deer-legal-round-development.html

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/310396-45-70-deer-legal-year-ii.htmlThank you all for the replies and thank for the links and info.

EDK
06-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Guys at other sites suggested using STARLINE(?) 45/60 brass to save problems with game wardens who only looked at head stamps...I don't know if that would suffice for officials who looked at the caliber markings on your rifle.

Thankfully, the situation is MO is better. AND I've got 357 and 44 Cowboy Rifles available.

bearcove
06-11-2015, 01:55 PM
One thing, the 45-70 is not a straight case more of a taper with a neck. Should be fine, but not like pistol cases that are truly straight. Not gonna hurt anything just have a short neck. Might want to get a neck size die to try.