PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M95 8x56

Battis
06-03-2015, 12:00 PM
I have an 8x56 Austrian Steyr M95 on hold for a week. All numbers match, wood is in great shape, good, clean bore, bolt action is smooth. It comes with a bag of boxer primed brass (approx. 100 case), Lee dies, Lee bullet sizing die, box of bullets, 2 clips, a box of old loaded ammo. The biggest drawback to these rifles, from what I've read (other than the recoil) is replacing the extractor. I'm sure there's a simple answer, but, how can I check the extractor in the store? Anything else to look for?
Thanks.

bnelson06
06-03-2015, 01:48 PM
Make sure it is there, apparently they break off if you don't use the enbloc's

ukrifleman
06-03-2015, 02:05 PM
The Steyr uses the Mannlicher charging system and as bnelson06 says, the extractor can be damaged by feeding single rounds.

Check that the extractor claw looks intact with no chips or cracks and if possible and IN SAFETY, cycle a round from a charger to verify that it feeds and extracts ok.

ukrifleman.

Wayne Smith
06-04-2015, 12:47 PM
Make sure you get at least one clip with it.

Tedly
06-05-2015, 01:27 AM
PM me if you need clips. I can float you some if you pay postage/pre paid box.

Battis
06-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Thanks for the info and offers. The store holds it for a week, no charge, then it goes back on the selling floor, and maybe back on Gunbroker (I haven't seen it on GB yet). I didn't get it but it's still there (it's been there for awhile). They've sold several other Steyrs, and this one is in the best shape of them all. It seems like a good deal but it's hard to tell what the actual cost of the rifle is after the accessories are subtracted.
http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid=1002050&manufacturer=any&caliber=8X56R&action=any&model=any&sort=Manufacturer&sortdir=&searchdata=

Wayne Smith
06-11-2015, 09:24 AM
It says Brass, Dies, and bullets come with it? Those would be the Graffs Hornaday (PP) bullets, probably. All you need is a magazine and you are set up to load it, well, we assume you have primers and powder! Probably Lee dies, possibly RCBS or Hornaday. You might check who makes the dies if you want it. I have two of them, so I kind of assume everyone is like me.

When we lived in NH I loved Kittery Trading Post. Always fun going upstairs and dreaming.

Battis
06-11-2015, 11:46 AM
It comes with two clips, Lee dies, Lee bullet sizer, loaded ammo, primed brass. I took it off hold and it's back on the selling floor. If it's there in a month or so, I'll start that thinking process all over again.

abunaitoo
06-14-2015, 03:53 AM
I have one, and it shoots cast great.
Surplus ammo kicks like a horse.

waarp8nt
06-15-2015, 11:11 PM
I just picked up a Steyr M95 on the 11th. Can't wait to shoot it, but no clips or ammo. When you get yours be sure to post how well you like it.

Wayne Smith
06-16-2015, 12:30 PM
With military (Nazi) ammo they kick with authority! With the Oldfeller Frankenstein boolit they shoot nice with loads using Unique or 4759. I have tried a combination of a few grains of 3031 and a case full of 50BMG powder and achieved 2300fps! I have now installed a scout scope on mine and haven't gotten it to the range since.

toot
06-17-2015, 10:27 AM
with all of the extras that come with it and the condition get it!! you can get clips anywhere, go for it. a great deal and price in my opinion.

Wayne Smith
06-19-2015, 02:16 PM
with all of the extras that come with it and the condition get it!! you can get clips anywhere, go for it. a great deal and price in my opinion.

Remember, it's at Kittery Trading Post. He's got dozens of other choices.

Battis
06-19-2015, 03:42 PM
That's for sure. It's still there - I handled it the other night.
http://www.ktpguns.com/firearm.php?gid=1002050&manufacturer=any&caliber=8X56R&action=any&model=any&sort=Manufacturer&sortdir=&searchdata

dogmower
06-23-2015, 02:12 PM
I shoot mine (just got it as well) with the lee 329 205 grain bullet, pc, over imr4350. hold minute of 6x12 steel plate at 200 m. buffalo arms has the en bloc clips for about 5 bucks. you can single load by just putting the round in the action (NOT in the chamber) and feeding it that way. it's a mauser controlled feed, so the cartridge needs to feed up and the rim slip UNDER the extractor as it chambers. if you try to slam the extractor around the rim, you'll break it.
enjoy shooting it, I like mine

Dan Cash
06-23-2015, 06:00 PM
I too have a 95 that was converted to 8x57. As part of the conversion the the feed system was modified so that a modified enbloc clip is retained in the magazine well and the loading is from the top like a Mauser system. I suspect the same could be done for the 8x56 models as well.

Jagdhund
06-23-2015, 06:35 PM
I use the Lee sizing die to size 200 gr. 0.338" non-cast bullets (hope this doesn't offend the cast boolits brotherhood) down to 0.329" more or less to load arsenal duplicate loads. I use Lee's case lube and they size pretty easily.