PDA

View Full Version : .380 brass and old timers thing

just bill
06-03-2015, 10:50 AM
I was reading an article about .380 brass for .357 swaged projectiles. Can't find it any where. It wasn't a very complicated process, thought it was one of manyca's push through articles, but it wasn't. My .357 supply is uncomfortably low and I wanted to start prepping .380's for j- words. I tried searching but came up empty.
Thanks,
Bill

GRUMPA
06-03-2015, 11:08 AM
This 1 maybe....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?46953-380-Auto-cases-into-357-bullets

just bill
06-03-2015, 11:35 AM
This 1 maybe....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?46953-380-Auto-cases-into-357-bullets
That must be, although it doesn't quite ring any bells. Shouldn't that be a .356 die not .365??????.
Many thanks, I think you told me to keep impeccable notes, looks like I need to keep a more detailed ledger.

Bill

tiger762
06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Well, one can draw down 380 brass (0.374" diameter) to a little below 0.357", compress a lead core in it, then swage it up to 0.357". For how much you could sell the 380 brass for, you could just buy jackets from RCE. Also, drawing down the case head is not for the faint of heart.

just bill
06-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Well, one can draw down 380 brass (0.374" diameter) to a little below 0.357", compress a lead core in it, then swage it up to 0.357". For how much you could sell the 380 brass for, you could just buy jackets from RCE. Also, drawing down the case head is not for the faint of heart.

You are quite right, however with the way the commercial market is ping ponging with supply and re supply it is nice to have a fall back. I just went on both Richards sites, I usually shoot 158 jhp when I prefer not to shoot lead swc, which take a .50" jacket. Guess what, out of stock/backorder. Lead is always a good fallback for plunking.
Bill

earthling121757
06-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Maybe this one?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158925-357-bullets-using-222-remington-dies

just bill
06-03-2015, 06:40 PM
Maybe this one?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?158925-357-bullets-using-222-remington-dies

No,
It had to do with .380's however this one looks very interesting.
Thanks for the lead.
Bill

varmint243
06-04-2015, 07:45 AM
It isn't that hard to make 357 jacketed from 9mm or 380 brass

Clean the brass
Deprime the brass
Trim the brass
Anneal the brass
Drill out the primer pocket
I made a tapered die to take it from original size to .358 OD (a 9mm drill bit, a HF taper reamer, a letter T reamer)
Then I push them thru a .356 Lee sizer die (spring back makes them just about right)
I use a Harbor Freight 1 Ton arbor press, I made a handle for it about twice as long and drilled the ram to accept a rod for pushing the brass.
Pin tumble overnight in a HF rotary tumbler
Squeeze the core in using a Rockchucker
Sort completed bullets by weight
Load and shoot

tiger762
06-04-2015, 01:23 PM
I assume the drilling out of the primer pocket is to make the brass easier to draw down?

varmint243
06-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Drilling the primer pocket allows the lead to flow in and makes a pin that keeps the core in place when shooting steel plates.
Decapping significantly reduced the force needed on the initial squeeze, drilling the primer pocket out makes it even easier.
It also allows a place for excess lead to go given the inconsistency in the internal volume of cases.

I also believe from reading Hatcher's notebook that bullet length is a factor to consider.
If I recall correctly it's not the bullet weight that needs to match twist as much as it is bullet length.
I want to keep bullet length in line with what belongs in a 38/357.

just bill
06-04-2015, 06:12 PM
[QUOTE=varmint243;3271636]Drilling the primer pocket allows the lead to flow in and makes a pin that keeps the core in place when shooting steel plates.
Decapping significantly reduced the force needed on the initial squeeze, drilling the primer pocket out makes it even easier.
It also allows a place for excess lead to go given the inconsistency in the internal volume of cases.

I also believe from reading Hatcher's notebook that bullet length is a factor to consider.
If I recall correctly it's not the bullet weight that needs to match twist as much as it is bullet length.
I want to keep bullet length in line with what belongs in a 38/357.[/QUOT

Interesting, how does that play out with .357 rifles, twist rate should be somewhat different than in a pistol????. I need to check my reloading rifle data for the heavier boolit oal. I may want to do some experimenting with .223 cases and plastic bb's like the 45 acp with hollow points in a different thread.

varmint243
06-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Drilling the primer pocket allows the lead to flow in and makes a pin that keeps the core in place when shooting steel plates.

I want to keep bullet length in line with what belongs in a 38/357.

Interesting, how does that play out with .357 rifles, twist rate should be somewhat different than in a pistol????. I need to check my reloading rifle data for the heavier boolit oal. I may want to do some experimenting with .223 cases and plastic bb's like the 45 acp with hollow points in a different thread.

From what I remember reading Hatcher's notebook,
If you are shooting heavier (longer) bullets in a .357 rifle you may want to verify the twist rate is appropriate for the bullets.
Clearly there is a range that a given twist rate will work with.
I am going to guess there are people who follow this board that have found the practical limits for some cartridges\weights\twist rates.
The .357 has been around long enough that there is probably documented scientific testing on the subject of twist rates and bullet weight (length)
I always wondered about the solid copper bullets for a given caliber as they would have to be longer to achieve the same weight as a lead bullet.
How does that would impact the desired twist rate in the barrel ?

clodhopper
06-05-2015, 01:09 AM
The longer a bullet is, the faster it has to spin to fly point on.
There are some formulas for calculating the range that Varmit243 mentions.
The old timers, and benchrest shooters worried about over stabilization. (spinning to fast)
Maybe I'm just not scientific enough to detect any problem until they spin so fast, that centrifugal force makes them spin apart.

just bill
06-05-2015, 11:27 AM
I finally found it, a youtube, however the information here is good. Keep it coming.
Thanks
Bill