PDA

View Full Version : Super Easy Inexpensive Easter Egg Dye

Linstrum
03-20-2008, 06:12 PM
It is that time of year again for giving the little kids a real treat, Easter is this Sunday and that means Easter egg hunts!

Many, many years ago one Easter I wasn't able to find any Easter egg dye at the last minute, so I thought about it a moment and went over to the drinks aisle and bought a bunch of Kool-Aid packets. Yup, the good old unsweetened powdered drink mix makes the best egg dye. It has everything in it needed to dye eggs, plus a little more, it makes the eggs smell wonderful, too!

I use about one cup of warm water and two packets of drink mix to dye the hard boiled eggs rapidly and brightly. The amount of time eggs are left in the solution intensifies the color, so they can be dyed from light pastels to more darkly colored. The colors can be mixed, too, although don't get too carried away if you don't know what you are doing since a bunch of the wrong colors mixed together like red, green, and blue makes a dark purple gray that isn't very attractive. It still smells okay but looks terrible, unless of course you want gray-purple eggs. The dyed eggs don't taste bad, either, so as long as they are gathered up quickly from the out-of-doors they can be eaten just fine after rinsing the soil and lawn clippings off.

Have fun!

azcoyhunter
03-20-2008, 06:24 PM
When my grandkids are hunting eggs, I help them find them

me and my salt shaker in my pocket :mrgreen:

hopefully no snow

10-x
03-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Would this not be a good time to introduce the kids to pickled eggs?:drinks:

Blkpwdrbuff
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
That's the best thing to do with Easter eggs. :-D