PDA

View Full Version : Accident caught in time

David2011
06-02-2015, 03:42 PM
While making a run of .223 I caught a problem that could have been disastrous. The first run of about 300 was in the ammo box sorted into stripper clips, a plastic ammo box and magazines. A few days later I went back to make more.

During the second run I discovered a small quantity of decapped, cleaned, polished, trimmed and swaged brass made it to the case feeder without ever being sized. A few cartridges had necks large enough that the bullet would slip right through so those were obvious. After finding several like that, I emptied the casefeeder and checked the mouth of every cartridge in the batch to see if a bullet would enter to full diameter. The fails were resized and put back into the batch. Reloading proceeded. After making about 200 more rounds I started putting them in stripper clips and pushed a bullet down to the powder with finger pressure. I tested the remainder of the second batch by pushing each round into a hard surface with substantial hand pressure and found a total of 11 that had enough neck tension to pass the bullet diameter test with finger pressure and hold a bullet when loaded. The bullets were pulled, cartridges sized and reloaded. All passed the hand pressure test.

Feeling uneasy, I tested all of the first batch as well and all passed. I still wanted some increased security that none of these rounds would suffer a bullet setback so all 500 were removed from the magazines and stripper clips and crimped with a -.002" under neck diameter crimp from a Lee collet Factory Crimp Die.

Interestingly, all 11 of the cartridges with low neck tension passed a case gage. I didn't think to test the ones with really loose necks in the case gage. Fortunately, it seemed to be just a small batch of unsized but otherwise prepped cases in a sandwich baggie that had been added to a larger batch.

I'm afraid that had I tried to shoot one of the under-tension rounds this would have been a KaBoom post or worse.

David

Yodogsandman
06-02-2015, 04:22 PM
Good that you caught it!

dilly
06-02-2015, 04:50 PM
Are you using mixed headstamps?

David2011
06-02-2015, 07:51 PM
These were all Lake City but not sorted by year.

David

ReloaderFred
06-02-2015, 08:30 PM
It's a good idea to drop a slip of paper in a batch that says how much has been done to them if you have to leave them. That way, after a period of time, when you come back to them there's no doubt about what has been done, and what needs to be done.

Case gauges only tell you what maximum SAAMI spec is for the caliber. I very, very rarely use them, since I'm not going to fire my ammunition through the gauge.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

RickF
06-02-2015, 09:24 PM
It's a good idea to drop a slip of paper in a batch that says how much has been done to them if you have to leave them. That way, after a period of time, when you come back to them there's no doubt about what has been done, and what needs to be done.

Case gauges only tell you what maximum SAAMI spec is for the caliber. I very, very rarely use them, since I'm not going to fire my ammunition through the gauge.......

Hope this helps.

Fred

Writing down what has been done to a batch of brass is what I do also, I may have two, three or even more containers stored in various stages of preperation (or not) but know what is inside because I have the info written inside of each container.

David2011
06-03-2015, 02:52 PM

Hope this helps.

Fred

I follow that practice as well. A few cases just got past my normal safety checks. A little bag of brass didn't have a piece of paper so it got looked at, not closely enough apparently. Somehow these cases went through every step except sizing. I only put them in the case gage out of curiosity. My primary use for a rifle case gage is to set up the resizing die to check for proper shoulder setback for autoloaders. I really felt stupid when I realized what I had done. I've been reloading for decades.

When loading .40 for competition, I case gage every loaded round. It will reject rounds that will pass the barrel punk test and those are set aside for practice.

David

jmorris
06-03-2015, 04:38 PM
You trim .223 before you size? If the length is going to grow, it will grow during the sizing process.

Take the cases that are so loose the bullets drop into them and size them, they will be longer than the length you already trimmed them to.

David2011
06-03-2015, 09:45 PM
You trim .223 before you size? If the length is going to grow, it will grow during the sizing process.

Take the cases that are so loose the bullets drop into them and size them, they will be longer than the length you already trimmed them to.

Not normally. This was about 40 pieces out of a few thousand that got past my normal procedures.

My normal procedure at that time was to lightly tumble, lube with Dillon spray, size and decap on a RockChucker, lightly tumble to clean off the lube and then trim. After trimming I would swage with a Dillon Super Swage.

Since I bought a Rapid Trim I lightly tumble, lightly lube and run the cases through the 650. Position 1 is a full length sizing and decapping die. Position 3 is the Rapid Trim. Position 5 has another sizing die that is backed off to know restore the ID of the case with the ball expander. I wasn't thrilled with the performance of the Dillon sizing die that works with the Rapid Trim so it doesn't size the case; just holds it for the trimmer.

David

gloob
06-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Most likely not an issue. When the loose bullet collapses into the case on feeding it will probably jam. But you never know.

I prime on the press while expanding the case necks after cases are already prepped. The expander easily screens out any loose necks. My 223 die is a bit oversize so I am always on the lookout.

dudel
06-04-2015, 08:51 PM
I'm afraid that had I tried to shoot one of the under-tension rounds this would have been a KaBoom post or worse.

David

If the neck tension was low enough to allow a finger to push the projectile in, it probably wasn't enough to cause a kaboom either. With neck tension that low, I'd expect recoil to pull the projectile by inertia. Worst case would be a jam from a too long round or a powder dump into the internals. Not a big issue while plinking at the range; not a good thing if these were self defense rounds.