PDA

View Full Version : Undersize Lee Molds

johnly
03-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Are undersize molds a common issue with Lee molds? My 44 caliber molds don't have the major diameter of the bullet completely sized by a .430 sizer.

John

Ranch Dog
03-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Are undersize molds a common issue with Lee molds? My 44 caliber molds don't have the major diameter of the bullet completely sized by a .430 sizer.

John

John,

It sounds like the mold "might" be undersized. Alloy and casting temperature can correct it a little as can lapping the mold. It would be interesting to see if a hotter alloy would help as that causes the alumimum blocks to expand some.

Buckshot
03-21-2008, 03:07 AM
................The 2 lighter Lee 45 cal rifle moulds, the 340 and 405 have ALWAYS cast undersized for me. Talking .457" here, and I've tried 3 of each over the years. Their saving grace is that the 457-340F can be nicely sized down to .452" for use in the 45 Colt and the 457-405F can be paper patched up 'as cast' and used in the 577-450 Martini.

The 457-450 and C457-500F designs have always cast around .460"/.461" and the noses just a tad over .450". It's just that the 2 lighter ones have more utility for me if I was able to use them in rifles.

..............Buckshot

Salmon-boy
03-21-2008, 07:39 AM
I can't say that I've ever had a Lee Mould that was undersized..

I CAN say that I've cast undersized boolits from Lee moulds. What that means is Cleanliness is next to Booletness!

Cast up a mould load of boolits and don't drop them. Just cut off the sprues and matk the centers. Drill a 1/16 hole in the center of the boolits and thread drywall screws in so they'll engage but not really bite in enough to go through the entire boolit (BAD things will happen, don't ask.)

Spin the boolits in the mould wet with some Cascade (Yes, be a good consumer and buy brand name) liquid detergent. Scrub clean with a brush, and dry.

Cast some more boolits and see what you get. I'll betcha a testing session with the mould that you'll get fullsized boolits! PM me if you don't!

Freightman
03-21-2008, 09:37 AM
I can't say that I've ever had a Lee Mould that was undersized..

I CAN say that I've cast undersized boolits from Lee moulds. What that means is Cleanliness is next to Booletness!

Cast up a mould load of boolits and don't drop them. Just cut off the sprues and matk the centers. Drill a 1/16 hole in the center of the boolits and thread drywall screws in so they'll engage but not really bite in enough to go through the entire boolit (BAD things will happen, don't ask.)

Spin the boolits in the mould wet with some Cascade (Yes, be a good consumer and buy brand name) liquid detergent. Scrub clean with a brush, and dry.

Cast some more boolits and see what you get. I'll betcha a testing session with the mould that you'll get fullsized boolits! PM me if you don't!
This will also eliminate having a raw hide hammer to get the boolit to drop! if you use the spray "Drop Eaz" or like products that will also cause the boolit to be under size.

Maven
03-21-2008, 09:54 AM
johnly, Based on the 1/2 doz. or so Lee molds that I currently own, I think I'd say their dimensions are inconsistent or highly variable. E.g., the .45-70 molds that Buckshot referred to cast ~.460" for me. Also, the 2 113gr. "soupcans" (.30cal.) I have cast at least .311", but my C-309-180R has to struggle to reach .309". Moreover, the group buy 30-150TL-PB, although a bit lighter than 150grs., casts ~.3165" and doesn't need to be sized at all. Lastly, a .429" wadcutter & semi-wadcutter mold as well as a 175gr. 8mm. Mau. mold are slightly undersized, but seem to shoot well enough. Thus, it seems to be a matter of quality control (an oxymoron?) with Lee and/or who's operating the machinery on a given day, wind direction & speed, phase of the moon, etc.

johnly
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
I was casting at 720F just to see if heat would help. The data would seem to indicate the answer was no. The alloy is a 10:1 Lead/Tin alloy with 3% Antimony.

John

Boomer Mikey
03-24-2008, 09:21 PM
johnly, Based on the 1/2 doz. or so Lee molds that I currently own, I think I'd say their dimensions are inconsistent or highly variable. E.g., the .45-70 molds that Buckshot referred to cast ~.460" for me. Also, the 2 113gr. "soupcans" (.30cal.) I have cast at least .311", but my C-309-180R has to struggle to reach .309". Moreover, the group buy 30-150TL-PB, although a bit lighter than 150grs., casts ~.3165" and doesn't need to be sized at all. Lastly, a .429" wadcutter & semi-wadcutter mold as well as a 175gr. 8mm. Mau. mold are slightly undersized, but seem to shoot well enough. Thus, it seems to be a matter of quality control (an oxymoron?) with Lee and/or who's operating the machinery on a given day, wind direction & speed, phase of the moon, etc.

Maven has Lee's number here, or lack of numbers as it may be.

Boomer :Fire: