PDA

View Full Version : wanted.BT Sniper Swager Die kit for 22cal

ozieopals
06-02-2015, 06:20 AM
completely new here.

I have heard about the Bt Sniper swager set up and was wanting to know how you go about purchasing one to make 22cal.
I am from Australia so it would need posting.
Is The BT Sniper system the best one on the market or is there better?

Kindest Regards from Down Under

David

Iron Whittler
06-02-2015, 07:03 AM
I have some of BT Sniper swage dies. Brian does a fantastic job of making dies. Fit and finish are second to none, in my opinion. Very nice fellow to deal with. The quality of the dies makes the wait time worthwhile. I do firmly believe you will be pleased! Give him a shot. You can reach him on this site in the vendor forum. Best regards to you from Southwest Louisiana, USA.:swagemine::Fire:

goblism
06-02-2015, 09:55 AM
I would consider the BT Sniper system to be a decent system. I honestly think there are better makers out there for less money.
Larry Blackman sells a 3 die set with a swaging press for $595 http://www.bulletswagingsupply.com/main%20price%20sheet.pdf
Larry had a 6 month waiting list the last time i checked with him.

Richard Corbin makes a system that can handle a little larger bullets, $450 for the walnut hill press (which can also reload if you buy the adapter) and $540 per 3 die swage set. I have emailed back and forth with Richard quite a bit, man has an insane amount of knowledge and is a no BS guy. http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=metalbullets
I have no clue what his waiting list is for 224, i know he is working on pistol dies at this time.

Dave Corbin has been making reload sets for many years, I have used his products and have no issues with them. Only reason I sold his dies were to buy more walnut hill dies. http://www.corbins.com/prices.htm#reload

I think BT Sniper will give you a shorter wait time at an increased cost. I looked on his vendor page and it is $995 for a 2-die set. I am assuming his two die set is a core seat and point form. The other makers sell 3 die sets which include those two dies as well as core swage dies. The core swage die is required for accuracy.

I also have heard that BSSP (Larry Blackman) are known for match grade accuracy. I have no use for another press but if I were in the market for 224 dies (and no plans to expand to larger calibers) I would be buying his press, otherwise the Walnut Hill from RCECO would be where I suggest money be spent.

newcastter
06-02-2015, 03:29 PM
^^^^^^ +1 what he said

just bill
06-02-2015, 04:09 PM
There is another member from Australia, Aaronradd, pm him about dies and read his posts and threads about his press and other swaging processes.

Bill

tiger762
06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
completely new here.
Kindest Regards from Down Under
David

Hi David and welcome! Your best bet is to keep an eye on Ebay. 224 swaging kit pops up regularly. The good thing about swaging rounds that small in diameter is that it can be done comfortably on a reloading press. To get to 20,000 psi internal pressure, a vessel of 0.224" diameter need only about 800 pounds of applied force.

If you will want to graduate to 45cal one day, you'll want a true swage press. I started with RCE Walnut Hill and a 224-6S 3-die swage set. I've made 12,000+ so far. It can be maddening at times using 22LR. Different brass thicknesses and different hardness. I've rolled over plenty of noses. Basically, the brass waan't annealed enough and so while point forming you hear/feel the dreaded "cccccrunch!"

Goblism made a good write-up (above) on what some of your options are.

Utah Shooter
06-10-2015, 07:04 PM
I would consider the BT Sniper system to be a decent system. I honestly think there are better makers out there for less money.
Larry Blackman sells a 3 die set with a swaging press for $595 http://www.bulletswagingsupply.com/main%20price%20sheet.pdf
Larry had a 6 month waiting list the last time i checked with him.

Richard Corbin makes a system that can handle a little larger bullets, $450 for the walnut hill press (which can also reload if you buy the adapter) and $540 per 3 die swage set. I have emailed back and forth with Richard quite a bit, man has an insane amount of knowledge and is a no BS guy. http://rceco.com/MN.asp?pg=metalbullets
I have no clue what his waiting list is for 224, i know he is working on pistol dies at this time.

Dave Corbin has been making reload sets for many years, I have used his products and have no issues with them. Only reason I sold his dies were to buy more walnut hill dies. http://www.corbins.com/prices.htm#reload

I think BT Sniper will give you a shorter wait time at an increased cost. I looked on his vendor page and it is $995 for a 2-die set. I am assuming his two die set is a core seat and point form. The other makers sell 3 die sets which include those two dies as well as core swage dies. The core swage die is required for accuracy.

I also have heard that BSSP (Larry Blackman) are known for match grade accuracy. I have no use for another press but if I were in the market for 224 dies (and no plans to expand to larger calibers) I would be buying his press, otherwise the Walnut Hill from RCECO would be where I suggest money be spent.
Can I get an amen! I would not go with any other maker if you are looking for doing just 22 cal. Larry Blackmon has been doing it right since the 70's.

goblism
06-10-2015, 09:02 PM
Joe,
tell me more about Larry's dies. I am VERY tempted to order a set of dies with his press but I don't know if they will make higher quality bullets than Richard. Like you said he has been doing it right but not sure if it is worth adding another press to the bench or not.

just bill
06-10-2015, 10:09 PM
Joe,
tell me more about Larry's dies. I am VERY tempted to order a set of dies with his press but I don't know if they will make higher quality bullets than Richard. Like you said he has been doing it right but not sure if it is worth adding another press to the bench or not.

I got a set of his to bt . 308 and was impressed beyond words. It has been referenced by others over the years
that his dies are bench rest quality. I was told he makes dies for die makers. It seems that more and more there are cloned copies apearing. Not meaning to jump a thread, however he has just good stuff.
Bill

Liseo
06-17-2015, 09:52 PM
I have the swaging dies from Blackmon in 224", 243" and 308".

Not yet used the 243" and 308", but the 224" bullets made with J4 jackets group better than Sierra 52gn MK and Barts in my 223 Custom rifle.

Dont know about dies made by BT Sniper, but have no reason think they are better or worst.

kc3ak
06-17-2015, 11:53 PM
Just a note about Richard Corbin's schedule for the .224 dies. I have a set on order and according to an email I received from him this week, it looks like he will be making them in about 2.5-3 months from now. I can't wait for them.

Artful
06-24-2015, 05:22 PM
Don't know if it will help but I just posted this for a friend
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?281397-Auction-Corbin-224-Swaging-set