PDA

View Full Version : My 22lb brown trout.

JeffinNZ
06-02-2015, 05:16 AM
If you are interested here are the details.

I went away for the three day weekend with our neighbours and some hangers on to the inland town Twizel. Twizel is the left over town from the Upper Waitaki (Why tack ee) hydro development of the 1970's where the natural lakes of the area, three in total, were dammed, raised and linked with a serious of canals feeding six hydro power stations. If you Google Twizel hydro you can find details but suffice to say, for the time it was a non trivial engineering feat especially since the planning goes back to the 1940s.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0431_zpsd8fq7p18.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0431_zpsd8fq7p18.jpg.html)

The authority that oversees the canals allows aquaculture and salmon farms operate in 4 different locations. Periodically there is an accidental release of farm salmon (the last was 10000) but I understand the farms are obliged to release fish for the benefit of the fishery also. The salmon make for easy fishing and great for new anglers and kids especially given the very easy access to the canals as a road runs down either side of all of them. The canals also host a wild population of rainbow and brown trout, both acclimatised by Fish and Game and these wild fish do VERY well and grow to extreme size due to 1) the very cold water, 2) the highly aerated water due to the hydro and 3) the plentiful supply of food from the fish farms. Both species are regularly caught exceeding 20lb and these fish tend to spend a great deal of time sitting under the salmon farms expending little energy and eating themselves stupid. In short, the 22lb brown I caught was a young fish whereas in the wild she might have been 15 years old or more and extremely rare.

We arrived on Saturday midday and fished the rest of the day, a few hours that night, all of Sunday and Monday morning. The weather was cold with a hard frost on Saturday morning on which the fog rolled in so we saw the sun in the early afternoon only. In the afternoons, once the sun was behind the mountains the temperature fell quickly so we were well clad in our woollies. The fishing was hard this trip and for reasons we are not sure of. There is a lot of pressure on the area right now so that won't help and most of the 'wild' salmon are going so all the attention is on the trout so I guess this doesn't help. The preferred technique for fishing the canals is drifting softbaits with enough jighead weight to allow the lure to hover just above the bottom of the canal. Nymphs of dark colours are working at the moment I am told also. We threw everything we had at the water and found it tough going. All the time we were fishing there were 20lb plus rainbows breaking the surface and jumping around fully clear of the water. Most impressive but frustrating. You have to see it to believe it.

Max scored a small salmon on the first day bait fishing, I lost a smallish rainbow on softbait and a couple of the boys got tiny fish. It wasn't until Monday just on day break I hooked up on Big Bertha. All the time we were fishing there were 20lb plus rainbows breaking the surface and jumping around fully clear of the water. Most impressive but frustrating. You have to see it to believe it.

The day before we were sunny ourselves on the banks of Ohau (Oh how) A when I saw a Rapala floating by. Quickly tangling it in my braid the jointed lure complete with a short length of snapped of line became mine. That's a $15-20 piece of kit someone upstream had lost to my advantage. Oh, well. I've lost a bit of gear in my time on the water too so finders, keepers.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0436_zpsvbwvpn1r.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0436_zpsvbwvpn1r.jpg.html)

It was this lure I elected to fish on Monday morning. The flow in the canals was very slow (not enough people turning on their heat pumps!) so the deep diving minnow was great. About daybreak I hooked up in fairly close but didn't consider the fish very large. At least not to begin with until she came into sight in the semi light conditions. At which time Ray with his trout net was stood down and Steve stepped up with my salmon net. I landed the brown on 8lb braid without any difficulty something I put down to the fish being big and lazy from being on salmon farm welfare. We must have made for interesting listening in the dead still conditions. Here is the result. The largest fish I have ever landed.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0432_zpshj8ucwlc.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0432_zpshj8ucwlc.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0435_zpsae1o4nck.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0435_zpsae1o4nck.jpg.html)

When I cleaned her the trout had two large egg sacks and was carrying over a pound of roe. I have to find a recipe for this:

Here head was 1 1/2 pounds on its own:

This was my kitchen bench last evening. For reference, the tiles are 6 inches square:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0438_zps9hd1sm4s.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0438_zps9hd1sm4s.jpg.html)

This was dinner tonight. It was glorious and the best trout I have ever had.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Fishing/IMG_0441_zpsq0gm5id7.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JeffinNZ/media/Fishing/IMG_0441_zpsq0gm5id7.jpg.html)

So, it was a hard weekend but in the end my perseverance paid off. Next trip I will try some poppers on the surface as the rainbows were hitting something on the top of the water and it wasn't insects that we could see.

Thanks for reading.

Beagle333
06-02-2015, 05:42 AM
Wow, what a nice fish! Thanks for sharing! Congrats and hopefully many more. :D

Muskyhunter1
06-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Darn that is a great looking fish there Jeff. From my fly fishing days it was my understanding you folks have really good trout fishing down in NZ. A dream go to place. Thanks for sharing.

MrWolf
06-02-2015, 06:26 AM
Excellent story with a great catch to boot!

Taylor
06-02-2015, 07:00 AM
Nice!!

Blammer
06-02-2015, 07:39 AM
Awesome! That is a really BIG fish!

Bigger than any I've ever caught.

Hearing you tell the trout breaking the surface and it being frustrating reminded me of my Elk trip to CO, there was a lake and in the early AM trout were breaking the surface, it was a sight to see and remember for sure.

pworley1
06-02-2015, 07:44 AM
Nice catch.

frkelly74
06-02-2015, 07:49 AM
I really like the last picture best.

Wayne Smith
06-02-2015, 08:11 AM
Frequently when they are acting like that there is a midge hatch going on. Think flies tied on #20-#22 hooks. Check out your local environment and find out what was hatching at that time. It was either a surface hatch or just under the surface and about to hatch.

Jungle867
06-02-2015, 09:07 AM
I love a good (true) fish story! Great pictures!

DougGuy
06-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Wow what a lunker!

Roll the roe in some cornmeal and fry it up! It is DELICIOUS!! Or saute in butter over low heat, serve with breakfast..

I can remember fishing for white trout down south on the Mississippi gulf coast and catching 2x at a time on bottom rigs, and my favorite part was the roe sacks. I haven't had any of those since the mid 70s but I am going home in 2 weeks and trying to arrange a fishing excursion to fill the itch for some!

popper
06-02-2015, 09:31 AM
Nice fish. Looks like the meat is good too, not fatty like most farm fish. I've found a lot of really large fish don't know they are hooked or don't care. Usually when rolling they are getting air for the float bladder or taking small baitfish from below.

cobroller
06-02-2015, 09:45 AM
So you just got the one fish in three days?

Still a most excellent report and fine eating.

Reg
06-02-2015, 12:34 PM
EXCELLENT !!! Nice catch !:drinks::drinks::drinks:

GLL
06-02-2015, 01:49 PM
BEAUTIFUL fish !
Thank you for the details !

I look forward to seeing the rainbows . :)

Jerry

MT Gianni
06-02-2015, 02:10 PM
Nice fish and a great write-up.

Artful
06-02-2015, 02:35 PM
NICE CATCH - excellent write up
I have not gone fishing for years -make me want to go again - where's my tannerite. :kidding:

David2011
06-02-2015, 03:10 PM
Jeff,

Great story. Thanks for sharing the experience of catching that great fish.

David

gray wolf
06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
OK ---- I'm impressed.

Great catch and a great fish.

Bad Water Bill
06-02-2015, 04:37 PM
SOOOOOOOOOOOO

Did you bring any fish home to those 3 pretty young ladies?

Somehow photos do NOT fill empty tummies.:kidding:

MtGun44
06-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing. I love the fish, but not a fan of the roe, although many
folks disagree with that, I know.

In our waters, that is a VERY rare fish, but as you explained, you have some
superb conditions for raising giant trout. Good to take advantage if it.

Bill

JeffinNZ
06-02-2015, 06:22 PM
Frequently when they are acting like that there is a midge hatch going on. Think flies tied on #20-#22 hooks. Check out your local environment and find out what was hatching at that time. It was either a surface hatch or just under the surface and about to hatch.

Wayne, would that be a winter activity? Do midge hatch in early winter? I can't imagine taking on a mega trout on a size 20 hook.

Hogtamer
06-02-2015, 06:29 PM
And casting was involved! Great catch anud +1 on the perservance.

dragonrider
06-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Awesome catch, I like trout, I haven't fished in years and the largest trout I ever landed was maybe 5 lbs. I have landed a couple of large mouth bass that I thought were pretty big when vacationing in Maine but never landed something like that, like GW said IMPRESSIVE.

JeffinNZ
06-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Jeff,

Thanks for sharing. I love the fish, but not a fan of the roe, although many
folks disagree with that, I know.

In our waters, that is a VERY rare fish, but as you explained, you have some
superb conditions for raising giant trout. Good to take advantage if it.

Bill

When are you coming to visit? I'll take you there.

MT Gianni
06-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Wayne, would that be a winter activity? Do midge hatch in early winter? I can't imagine taking on a mega trout on a size 20 hook.
Too late but a gut autopsy can tell you a lot about feed. George Herter claimed that if you caught a fish and his eyes were pointing up feed was on the surface, down and it was on the bottom. I have never had enough evidence to prove or disprove that. Jumping trout indicate a hatch, if you can't see them they are small insects.

JeffinNZ
06-02-2015, 10:00 PM
Too late but a gut autopsy can tell you a lot about feed. George Herter claimed that if you caught a fish and his eyes were pointing up feed was on the surface, down and it was on the bottom. I have never had enough evidence to prove or disprove that. Jumping trout indicate a hatch, if you can't see them they are small insects.

She was FULL of pellets from the fish farm. I suspect she had been up there only a short time prior.

retread
06-02-2015, 10:04 PM
I've heard a lot of stories from guys claiming they caught that one but your the first that had proof! :grin:

bruce drake
06-02-2015, 10:09 PM
Beats my best trout by a good 5lb! Bravo Zulu to you Jeff!

Bruce

kfarm
06-02-2015, 10:18 PM
Good job, good fish.

MaryB
06-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Nice fish! There are a few trout in a stream near me but a good sized one might be 3 pounds at best! Water is to warm for them in summer and the fishing pressure is very high.

When trolling for walleye we would see them eating mayflies off the surface and their bellies would be full. And they were almost impossible to catch then because a mayfly hatch on that lake meant they were so thick it was impossible to go fast in the boat without eating them! One would occasionally smash a top water bait then but I usually switched to trolling the weed beds for northern pike in conditions like that. Rather eat a pike anyway! Used a spinner rig and a fathead minnow for the pike, no steel leader so it made for a nice challenge. Landed many 5+ pound fish that way though.

Wayne Smith
06-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Jeff, a hatch is totally dependent on the genetics of the fly. Around here some are hatching from spring through fall, Mayflys obviously in the spring, others throughout the year.

MtGun44
06-04-2015, 11:11 PM
Jeff,

We really DO need to visit NZ. Lots of stuff in the way right now, but
we will start doing some more thinking about it. We both love to travel
and have been to a lot of interesting places. NZ looks and sounds like a
really, really great place. Thank you so much for the offer, you may have
to make good on it.

We visited another CB poster, a Brit who ran a B&B in France, stayed with him
a couple times, had a great time.

You also have a place to stay if you ever come to KS.

Bill

chsparkman
06-05-2015, 06:44 PM
Amazing! Thanks for sharing the story.

captain-03
06-05-2015, 10:42 PM
Very Nice Fish -- the hard work paid off!!

tygar
06-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Sure makes me miss living in Alaska! The Kvichak (que jack) river has huge pods of really big trout. It comes out of Lake Iliamna, where the trout get to 60#s & more. Then the Steelhead in SE Alaska, especially the Situk river in Yakutat, get well over 20#s also. Floating those & other waters are the best of times, & when you can hunt, moose, caribou & bear while doing so, is unbelievable.

Have wanted to try those NZ browns badly, just have to be able to handle that flight. Plus some of that great hunting would make a heck of a trip.

Post more pics of NZ & wildlife.

Bad Water Bill
06-06-2015, 11:54 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

38 posts and Jeff still has not shown a photo of his loved ones sharing even one crumb of his bragging rights fish.

Was he realy that stingy that he ate the whole thing all by his little young self?:kidding:

JeffinNZ
06-07-2015, 06:01 AM
HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

38 posts and Jeff still has not shown a photo of his loved ones sharing even one crumb of his bragging rights fish.

Was he realy that stingy that he ate the whole thing all by his little young self?:kidding:

The other evening I served it up and had to tell Abby, "when you get to the crunchy part, it's the plate!".

Bad Water Bill
06-07-2015, 06:57 AM
"when you get to the crunchy part, it's the plate!".

Also it might be dads hand that didn't move fast enough away from a feeding young female.

Please do NOT ask me how I know.[smilie=s:

jonp
06-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Holy Mackinaw! That is some fish. Congrats on that, Jeff. Did I read your post correctly that a deep diving Rapala is $20 down there?

TXGunNut
06-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Wow! Nice story, well told. Thanks for sharing.