PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on a pending sale- Colt SAA

chill45100
06-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I am getting ready to put my Colt SAA Frontier Six Shooter on the auction block. Have the letter from Colt Archives in hand and know about how much I want. Now for the advise part. There is currently another Frontier Six Shooter on GB that has the serial number ahead of mine. Yep, two sequentially serial number Colts. So the question is, how much more would a pair of sequentially numbers Colts bring as opposed to each individually? Would it be worth the risk of not being able to sell the pair together?

I'm not a member of the Colt Collectors Assc nor will I likely continue to collect Colts so were the revolver currently on the block to be purchased it would be on speculation.

So please put in your two cents worth.

Thanks Chill45100

MtGun44
06-01-2015, 09:51 PM
No clue on value, but it seems kinda neat to have the "sisters" back together again
after all these years.

Just curious, since we are located nearby, what Gen (age) of Frontier Six Shooter?
AFAIK, that means it is .44-40, correct? Is it a shooter or collector pistol?

Bill

chill45100
06-01-2015, 10:08 PM
Mine is a 5 1/2 inch .44-40 gen one (?) made in 1902. All number except the loading gate match. I have put about 200 rounds through the revolver over the years. If you mean is it a pristine collector, nope. Just a honest working handgun. It would be really special to have a pair of sisters but that's not my cup of tea. BTW they were not shipped together. In a conversation with the Colt historian one went to Colorado and the other to Missouri.
Cliff

MtGun44
06-01-2015, 11:35 PM
So, you in MO or KS, and what sort of value do you put on the old girl?

chill45100
06-02-2015, 06:35 AM
I am on the KS side of the line. Value would be in the $3,000 range. Still has some case color and bluing left. Most interesting is that most of the screws show no signs of having been disturbed and the bluing is still bright on the heads. If you are interested send me a PM. We could always meet somewhere, perhaps at Millcreek?

bedbugbilly
06-02-2015, 09:21 AM
I have to believe that there are some Colt collectors out there who would love to have "sisters" and probably would pay good money to get them. After all, how often can that be done? The old Colts seem to hold and increase in value. Whether your Colt is a "working gun" or not and the other is "pristine" or "more wear" . . . it still is an oddity to be able to "re-unite" two like that. Some collectors are willing to pay a premium for such things . . . and they have the money to do so. I can just imagine the two being displayed together along with their "histories" at gun shows, etc. . . . and something like that would give the owner "bragging rights".

Example: I was able to pick up a pretty pristine Colt 4" blued Python a few years back - I just "lucked"" into it and I wanted to experience the "Python" . . personally, I'm not that impressed. I much prefer my old worn S & W M & P. I was shooting at an indoor range in Tucson and there was a guy a couple of lanes down who was watching. He came over and said he "liked Pythons". I asked him if he wanted to shoot it and he put a couple of cylinders through it. After that, he wanted to buy it and I told him it wasn't for sale. By the time he was done, he'd offered more money than what I considered it was worth and I finally had to get a little upset at him before he got the idea that I wasn't going to sell it. Several weeks later, I was at small gun shop and was looking at a nice Smith Model 10 and talking with the gentleman who ran the store. I told him about what had happened at the range with my Python and he asked what the guy looked like. When I told him, he smiled and then said that he knew the guy. Evidently the guy was "very well off" and he had a "Python fetish" . . . and he owned about 50 or so Pythons already.

The Colt SAA is a nice historical firearm with a great history. A lot of folks would like to own an original (I know I would) but the thought of owning "two sisters" to the person who could afford it would be an opportunity that wouldn't come along every day. I have to believe it would make a lot of fellows droll with the thought . . . and all it takes is one buyer with the means to make that happen . . . and there are collectors out there who have those means.

Just for the pleasure of seeing it, I'd love to see a photo of yours. I love to see photos of original SAAs and especially those which have "honest wear" to them as a part of their history.

pietro
06-02-2015, 09:39 AM

If the 2nd SAA is also a 5-1/2" .44-40, IMHO the "matched set" would be worth more than either one, as a single.

IDK if different chamberings would be, but the above should apply if the only difference is bbl length.

chill45100
06-02-2015, 09:15 PM
Both of the Colts came off the line the same in all respects. Or it seems that way based on as much information as I could get from the Colt historian during the phone call. They were interested that two Colts shipped to different retailers would find even this tenuous connection. Now to see if the funds can be found.

MtGun44
06-02-2015, 09:19 PM
MCRC member, and that would be a good place. I was afraid that the
old girl was worth more than I could justify.

Thanks for the info, but I'll have to leave it to a more serious collector than I am.

Sounds like a really nice pistol.

Bill

chill45100
06-02-2015, 09:40 PM
MCRC member, and that would be a good place. I was afraid that the
old girl was worth more than I could justify.

Thanks for the info, but I'll have to leave it to a more serious collector than I am.

Sounds like a really nice pistol.

Bill

Have any Garands or 1903-A3's? Selling to fund a new rifle purchase, always willing to talk. Can say no thank you politely and go our own ways.

doc1876
06-02-2015, 10:42 PM
the number on the loading gate is an assembly number, not a serial number

MtGun44
06-04-2015, 08:47 PM
I do have an 03 and, I think and 03A3 that may be trading material. The issue
is I don't think that will get far enough into the price of the SAA to get me
to the money part. I will have to look and see what I might be willing to
trade.

I can meet you at MCRC and we can just look at the guns, if you like.

Bill

chill45100
06-04-2015, 10:39 PM
Bill,
The A3 would be of interest. Sure we can meet at Millcreek sometime. I'm always willing to look at guns! This week is a mess but will send you a PM when I'll be headed that way.

Doc,
Good information to know, thank you sir.

All,
Hope to post some photos this week or weekend is more like it.

Cliff