PDA

View Full Version : Maine constitutional carry bill passes house

gray wolf
06-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Maine constitutional carry bill passes house.

We got it through the senate and now the house has passed it by 23 votes.

The Governor is expected to sign it.

Must be over 21 and declare to police if stopped.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________

AUGUSTA, Maine — The Maine House of Representatives on Monday voted 83-62 to approve a bill lifting the state’s permit requirement for carrying a concealed handgun.

The vote Monday is the culmination of a decades-long effort by gun-right advocates to remove restrictions on lawful gun owners and follows a 21-14 vote (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbangordailynews.com%2F2015%2F05 %2F28%2Fpolitics%2Fstate-house%2Fmaine-senate-oks-bill-to-allow-concealed-handguns-without-permit%2F%3Fref%3Dsearch&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFQIIm_zpnitq7RwZtvy8YladrgrQ&ref=inline) in the state Senate last week that also removed the permit requirement.
It is expected the bill, LD 652 (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Flegislature.maine.gov%2FLawMake rWeb%2Fsummary.asp%3FID%3D280055116&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNHXg7u-RryErQ4GvG5RVaIs6suLFQ), sponsored by Sen. Eric Brakey, R-Auburn, will be signed into law by Gov. Paul LePage, making the state the sixth without any permit requirements for carrying a hidden firearm.
LePage has long said he supports the right of Maine citizens to possess firearms as the state’s Constitution, even more explicitly (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fsunjournal.celsiusadmin.com%2Fn ews%2Fmaine%2F2015%2F06%2F01%2Fmaine-house-approves-constitutional-carry-gun-bill%2Fpllqt.it%2FhtlJA5&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE2fvq1ciSO-BSE_kLGYlfXhfxTow) than the U.S. Constitution, protects gun ownership rights, stating, “Every citizen has a right to keep and bear arms and this right shall never be questioned.”
Supporters of the bill said the measure doesn’t change who can legally own and carry a weapon but simply legalizes carrying concealed weapons.
Current state law allows handguns to be carried openly, in a holster where they are visible, but not hidden beneath clothing or in a purse. There also are several areas — including the Legislature, public schools and courtrooms — where only law enforcement officers are allowed to legally carry firearms.
Those prohibited by state and federal law from possessing a firearm would still be prohibited under the change, supporters of the bill said.
“A currently prohibited person is still a prohibited person,” said Rep. Karen Gerrish, R-Lebanon, speaking in favor of the bill. “LD 652 does not change who may legally possess a firearm. Criminals will not be allowed to carry under this law; mentally ill individuals will not be allowed to carry under this law; none of the federally prohibited people, domestic violence and drug felons, will be able to carry under

square butte
06-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Do we know if it's residents of Maine only - or are travelers from say Vermont eligible as well. I already have a Maine CCP - curious to know if I'm still gonna need to renew.

pworley1
06-01-2015, 06:57 PM
One more state with rights.

MtGun44
06-01-2015, 09:30 PM
VERY cool. This 2nd Amendment stuff is getting a bit of momentum.

Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming, Kansas, Vermont and now Maine. Good news.

I understand Arkansas is in a "kinda-sorta" situation, still being sorted out.

Bad Water Bill
06-02-2015, 04:50 AM
Congratulations sir.

We still have a loooong way to go here in Illinois but we will persevere.

Yodogsandman
06-02-2015, 09:58 AM
This is great news! I live right on the border and did not have a Maine CCW. Now if NH would just wake up and pass a similar bill!

duckey
06-02-2015, 10:13 AM
Go Maine!

FISH4BUGS
06-02-2015, 10:17 AM
With my NH permit, I can now carry in Maine, NH and VT. If only Massachusetts would see the light.....but that is virtually impossible.
I used to have a MA license to carry but they made it an annual process and very onerous.....so I don't carry in MA any more.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
06-02-2015, 10:30 AM
VERY cool. This 2nd Amendment stuff is getting a bit of momentum.

Arizona, Alaska, Wyoming, Kansas, Vermont and now Maine. Good news.

I understand Arkansas is in a "kinda-sorta" situation, still being sorted out.

add in open carry states with no license and it looks a bit more hopeful yet https://www.google.com/search?q=open+carry+states+map+2015&biw=1422&bih=737&tbm=isch&imgil=cfoFUuDP3ZBI9M%253A%253BHPXYDUv4L46hjM%253Bh ttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.allnineyards.com%25252 F2011%25252F08%25252Fnras-own-prodigal-son-story-open-and-concealed-carry%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=cfoFUuDP3ZBI9M%253A%252CHPXYDUv4L46hjM%252C_&usg=__gJgvs0iMQk1lVVfBtDqsf-sj9BI%3D&ved=0CCcQyjc&ei=rL1tVburBtC1ogSGwoC4Bw#imgrc=cfoFUuDP3ZBI9M%253 A%3B8eUOj_-isNSxHM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.okaloosaelection. com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2012%252F07%252FOpen-Carry_States.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.freerepu blic.com%252Ffocus%252Fnews%252F3249217%252Fposts% 3B640%3B480

jmort
06-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Excellent

historicfirearms
06-02-2015, 11:55 AM
Way to go Maine! Always thought I would like to live there someday, now I have a great reason.

perotter
06-02-2015, 04:51 PM
This is great news.

gray wolf
06-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Up-DATE

The house sent the bill back to the senate with a few little changes.

The senate did some (very little ) tweaking and sent it back to the house,
The house passed it 87 to 60
So it's on to the Gov. for his quill and Ink.

Feelings are the Gov. will comply.

:drinks:

Bad Water Bill
06-04-2015, 12:18 PM
That is good news.

Keep us posted on the results.

Schrag4
06-04-2015, 01:01 PM
Isn't Oklahoma on the list too? At a neighborhood pool party last weekend, I was talking to a guy who lives down the street who approached me after he overheard that I make target stands. I don't usually talk openly with "strangers" about gun issues, but he pried and we eventually got into a discussion about carrying. He carries about half the time, and he said he's afraid of what will happen in KS come July 1 (when our law change goes into effect). I tried to express my optimism that KS will be just like every other state that has come before it. To my knowledge, none of these states have experienced an uptick in "gun violence" after passing these laws, and I just don't see Kansans breaking that trend.

Heck, you could probably pass constitutional carry in Baltimore and things would get drastically better there over time. We all know the ones doing the killing are already breaking the law (prohibited persons, plus it's illegal to murder). Letting people defend themselves legally will only deter crime and to some small extent prevent criminals from becoming repeat offenders, if you know what I mean. Of course this is common sense, and of course common sense doesn't exist in places that have been ruled by progressives for decades. They don't care about the people living there, they only care about controlling them.

MtGun44
06-04-2015, 11:03 PM
A lot of folks are a bit worried about "no training and just ANYBODY can do it"......

I point out that the crazies and criminals have been carrying FOREVER and only the law
abiding will be doing anything new. Also, people usually seek out some form of
training. Careful look at CCW states with 16hrs of training, 8 hrs of training, 4 hrs
training and no training finds zero detectable differences between the different
groups.

The media has been telling us that our next door neighbors are lunatics just a
hairs breadth from snapping and starting mowing down everyone. . . . . but they
are not, as we generally find out. Nutballs are out there, but the numbers are
pretty low, and the violent ones are even a smaller, tiny fraction.

perotter
06-04-2015, 11:10 PM

Not everyone in the country can have a next door neighbor that is a member of the main stream media.

Schrag4
06-04-2015, 11:11 PM
A lot of folks are a bit worried about "no training and just ANYBODY can do it"......

I point out that the crazies and criminals have been carrying FOREVER and only the law
abiding will be doing anything new. Also, people usually seek out some form of
training. Careful look at CCW states with 16hrs of training, 8 hrs of training, 4 hrs
training and no training finds zero detectable differences between the different
groups.

I have to agree that those looking to legally carry generally tend to inform themselves pretty well before deciding to "take the plunge." Also, those nutballs won't follow carry laws if they're willing to mow people down. Laws against carrying just mean that innocents will be sitting ducks. Ok, ok, I'll quite preaching to the choir...