PDA

View Full Version : Wounds By Lead And Jacketed Bullets In The Cuban Insurgent War

ohland
06-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Journal of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, Volume 14 Jan-Feb 1904 Pages 294-295
http://books.googleusercontent.com/books/content?req=AKW5QaeON1VgIP39mYacXbznEsFXZ4eL7fVhzT NBilVT-gtwabrhhTNNGRHbD86ECxCnmbqBQTFlJNhgE7_TQQ5WV66Xisp CTZlftODSxNM4bImcCzuHzHUvT5vtYG9Bc4y94_tqbb7tpxnmw uM2HiQ9BIbsNtRdTbwlpFN1jVW68dsoXCLRV7JBqGcF2-eHk0MRbc0r9uTl76754yOUHlzPhx_uLyAWL21EXq2NtWG7F_XO CVFrfSAdwJUTDuagZJXQ4DgrCAGNBTLtrfQDXFBOoZOYJ1IntL oULLCTRidD4KdcL7rbxfA

Wounds By Lead And Jacketed Bullets In The Cuban Insurgent War.

By EDUARDO CARLOS POEY, M.D. (Bellevue.)
Late Lieutenant Colonel And Brigade Surgeon In The Ejercito Libertador De Cuba; Recently Acting Assistant Surgeon In The United States Army And Captain And Assistant Surgeon, Of United States Volunteers.

DURING my two years experience with the Insurgent Army in Cuba, I had ample opportunities to note the wounds produced by the plain lead bullets (cal. 43,) the brass "jacketed" and the more modern steel-covered or Mauser and "Krag" bullets. I shall not attempt to describe the numerous other bullets as used in civilized and uncivilized warfare in this article.

First a simple description of each will be given followed by their effects on soft and hard parts in the human body and the treatment I was able to give in each case.

Lead Bullets. —The lead bullet of the Remington rifle is a caliber 43, more or less conical in shape and about 1 1/4 of an inch long by a little less than half an inch in diameter. It does not vary in its effects within good striking power. I have seen men wounded at almost all distances by this bullet and found that there was no appreciable difference in its effects. No man wounded through the hard or soft parts, however slightly, had any further desire for fighting at the time. It always lacerates most horribly at its exit, and also at its entrance, the latter depending on whether it has struck any object of sufficient hardness, a rock or a tree, to change its original form. For this reason I consider a "ricochet" shot to be more dangerous than a straight one as in ninety-nine cases out of a hundred the bullet has lost its original shape before wounding, having "mushroomed" sufficiently to cause the worst wound possible.

In target practice (I believe) in the United States Army a "ricochet" shot does not count as much as a bullseye; something which I cannot understand, as in actual warfare, as far as my experience goes, its effects are worse than a straight shot. It was quite common to hear the Cuban soldiers say that, if they were to be shot they preferred a straight one to a "ricochet." I most decidedly agreed with them. I can not understand why this kind of shooting should not count as much as a bullseye; as the American soldier is directed to "shoot low." Certainly a "ricochet" bullet does more harm than any other kind and since the main object is to disable the enemy with as many badly wounded as possible; this kind of shooting is the best, in my opinion, and none can do it better than the 43 Spanish.

Ed. And now the “Reformado”

Brass-Covered Bullet. —This one is the ordinary 43 Spanish which is covered with a light jacket of brass which renders its caliber a little large and necessarily forced the Spaniards to enlarge the bore of their Remington carbines to fit the bullets. These were issued by the Spanish Government to their Guerillas or Irregular troops and exclusively used by them against the Cubans and later in Santiago against the American troops. I here mention that it was this bullet, which Spain said the Cubans were using and which is also the mis-named "explosive bullet" considered to contain dynamite or some other explosive. This effect is derived from the "mushrooming" of the lead core on striking which causes the brass to break into small pieces, sending them flying in all directions with terrific force. They were made in the Spanish Arsenals as can be proved by samples in my possession and when the Cubans captured such ammunition and rifles they very promptly returned the compliment.

Effects. —The ordinary 43 caliber always lacerates, even when striking soft tissues. It mushrooms on meeting the least resistance and in this condition its wounds are most horrible. The entrance wound is generally larger than its caliber and the exit, depending on what anatomical structures it has encountered in its path through the body, three or more times its caliber. Though not always fatal, the injury is permanent and the traumatic shock most terrific. In most cases, where bone is struck, an amputation or exsection is necessary. Hemorrhage is usually great and exceedingly troublesome. The arteries, veins, tissues, etc., are all badly torn to a horrifying degree. With the exception of the brass bullets and other uncivilized varieties, this one is the worst in use by so-called civilized nations.

The brass covered bullet is the ordinary 43 Spanish caliber which has a brass jacket. The strength of each metal being different, the lead on meeting resistance promptly spreads and breaks its coat of brass into numerous pieces which are sent flying in all directions with terrific force. This is the so-called "explosive bullet" which at one time was thought to contain dynamite or some such substance. The Spaniards accused the Cubans of using these bullets when in reality these were made in the Spanish Arsenals and issued to the Spanish Guerilla forces by the Spanish Government. Its wound of entrance was generally larger than its caliber and its exit was worse than that of the plain lead bullet under its worst conditions. Judging from numerous wounds I saw, I believe that this breaking of the brass occurs after it has passed through a hard substance though but one case in my experience showed different action.

Ed. Rest of article left out.

M-Tecs
06-07-2015, 03:18 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for posting.