PDA

View Full Version : Any using the Honey Badger Trimmer setup?

M-Tecs
06-01-2015, 02:13 AM
http://fastandfriendlybrass.com/shop/item.aspx/honey-badger-trimmer-adapter/34/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcWdGJN_mgQ

fivegunner
06-01-2015, 04:48 AM
I use a GCT trimmer. but this one look`s like it would work , thank`s for posting it. [smilie=2:

M-Tecs
06-01-2015, 04:19 PM
I have Giraud also. I love it for the inside and outside chamfering. I believe it is the best tool of its type but it is not intended for removing large amounts of brass. The Honey Badger looks to be the cat's meow for cutting 223 down to 20 VarTag, 221 Fireball or 300 Blackout. I had a dillon but the noise made me not want to use it.

guywitha3006
06-12-2015, 12:21 PM
I actually just bought one about a week ago, played with it a bit but have been busy. Seems like a good square cut but that is about as far as I have gotten so far. I currently have .308 and 223 trim dies, 300 blackout coming soon, hopefully. I want to get a good feel for it before i buy an adapter for each die/caliber.

M-Tecs
06-12-2015, 08:18 PM
I needed a router so I purchased the Bosch 1617EVS. I love how quite it is at 8,000 RPM. The Dillon 1200 that I had for a short time ran at 4,800 rpm and it was really loud. I don't have an adapter yet but I think I am going to really like it. The other option is http://store-hdcduy.mybigcommerce.com/titan-brass-trimmer-adapter-starter-pack/

David2011
06-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Is my Dillon just exceptionally quiet? It makes far less noise than a power drill by itself. The problem is the shop vac. I have to extend the vacuum cleaner hose to get the shop vac out of the loading room.

Wondering if the noise of your Dillon is vibration of other nearby items. . .

David

VHoward
06-12-2015, 10:43 PM
http://feintools-online.com/fein-dust-extractors.html I bought one of these to use in my workshop because they are extremely quiet ~60db at full power. I have one of the older round ones and I love it. They are expensive, but are great quality and will last you a long time. Now to get a trimmer.

M-Tecs
06-12-2015, 11:20 PM
Is my Dillon just exceptionally quiet? It makes far less noise than a power drill by itself. The problem is the shop vac. I have to extend the vacuum cleaner hose to get the shop vac out of the loading room.

Wondering if the noise of your Dillon is vibration of other nearby items. . .

David

They may have improved them though the years. I purchased mine the first year they came out. It was straight up motor noise. Couldn't deal with the noise but the first ones were covered by the lifetime warranty. They only did that for the first couple of years. If you have them they still honor it. It had a different part number. It was really noisy when you held it in your hand and ran it. Maybe mine was exceptionally noisy.

gixer454
10-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Has anyone had any experience with the Titan set up?

http://store.titanweapons.com/titan-300-blackout-brass-conversion-trimmer-adapter-kit-reman/

I'm a manufacturing/engineering guy and this system looks simple. My only concern is the two small mounting holes that hold the router to the adapter.

MK111
03-28-2016, 07:48 PM
I trim 223 cases by the 5 gl. buckets for a ammo re-manufacture. I use both the FFB and Titan as they are the same item. I run couple at the same time. Putting another one on line now as the parts come in.
Dillon trimmers are **** and burn out under heavy use.
The 2 mounting screws with lock washers are no problem and have never came loose after 100's of hours of use on 3 trimmers.

M-Tecs
03-28-2016, 08:38 PM
A friend just purchased a Dillon 1500. These are claimed to be designed to take the load when doing 300 BO. Unlike my old 1200 it is very quiet.

usbp379
05-19-2018, 08:24 AM
I trim 223 cases by the 5 gl. buckets for a ammo re-manufacture. I use both the FFB and Titan as they are the same item. I run couple at the same time. Putting another one on line now as the parts come in.
Dillon trimmers are **** and burn out under heavy use.
The 2 mounting screws with lock washers are no problem and have never came loose after 100's of hours of use on 3 trimmers.

Hello. Are you still running these non-Dillon trimmers? Are they still working well for you?

TheDoctor
05-20-2018, 06:18 AM
Curious myself. I am wanting a trimmer to mount in my 650, and not sure if I will be served ok with the Dillon, or if I should get a Honey Badger setup. Right NOW, I only have 10K 223 brass that needs to be trimmed, but one never knows what the future holds.

usbp379
05-21-2018, 03:30 PM
I ordered a trimmer adapter from Titan Weapons. It looks about the same as the Honey Badger but uses a standard hex nut rather than the jam nut.

Price is about the same but I went Titan because it includes the end mill and vacuum adapter in the kit.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

guywitha3006
05-22-2018, 01:13 PM
I have put a few thousand rounds through mine (chopped 223 on the chop saw and then finish trimmed with the Honey Badger).It work well and one of these days I need to pull it back out and process a bunch of brass but life has been getting in the way. I use the ported toolhead from GSI (I think, not home to verify) and it goes quick.

usbp379
05-23-2018, 07:55 AM
...chopped 223 on the chop saw and then finish trimmed with the Honey Badger.

Why did you chop prior to trimming? Isn't the benefit of the Bosch router supposed to be that it will cut 223 into 300 in one operation?

guywitha3006
05-23-2018, 08:11 AM
Why did you chop prior to trimming? Isn't the benefit of the Bosch router supposed to be that it will cut 223 into 300 in one operation?

Hey Usbp3790, Couple reasons, first is it makes it easier when converting 5.56 blanks (the crimped neck doesn't always like the endmill) the second thing is if you were to mill off the whole neck you have to cycle my 650 slower (I use the HF chop saw with a jig, so doing a pile that way doesn't take much), last thing is the brass doesn't come off in chips but is usually string and it quickly builds up). Long story short it is plenty beefy to take 223 straight to 300 BO if you take your time. Side note I handle brass a few time before it is loaded anyways...as best I can remember I have not seated a single primer with it, so i may do it just because I am set in my ways lol.

usbp379
05-23-2018, 08:34 AM
Hey Usbp3790, Couple reasons, first is it makes it easier when converting 5.56 blanks (the crimped neck doesn't always like the endmill) the second thing is if you were to mill off the whole neck you have to cycle my 650 slower (I use the HF chop saw with a jig, so doing a pile that way doesn't take much), last thing is the brass doesn't come off in chips but is usually string and it quickly builds up). Long story short it is plenty beefy to take 223 straight to 300 BO if you take your time. Side note I handle brass a few time before it is loaded anyways...as best I can remember I have not seated a single primer with it, so i may do it just because I am set in my ways lol.Yeah. I can see the necessity of chopping if you're converting blanks.

What are you using for case lube?

guywitha3006
05-23-2018, 08:37 AM
Usually Dillion spray lube, seams to the least hassle. Once that bottle is gone I will probably mix my own lanolin and alcohol.

usbp379
05-23-2018, 12:13 PM
Have you had any problems with converting blanks? One of the things I've heard is that case wall thickness of the blank casings varies greatly from case to case.

TheDoctor
06-07-2018, 09:02 PM
Gonna do the honey badger. Friend of mine is getting me a boring bar and an endmill. Lowes had a discounted price on the Bosch router. Ordered the vacuum adapter and trim die from dillon ($14.00 shipping!). Ordered the honey badger adapter (also $14.00 shipping!). Total cost came out LESS than if ordering a trimmer from dillon! Routers in hand, everything else is on the way. Gonna try to put it together and play with it, hopefully this weekend.

iShoot17
06-09-2018, 09:39 AM
TheDoctor - what are you going to be trimming? I’d be interest in hearing your thoughts.

TheDoctor
06-09-2018, 10:32 AM
223, 10K worth. Can't tell if usps is going to deliver the adapter today, or Monday. Will be doing 300 BLK sometime in the future, time undetermined.

TheDoctor
06-18-2018, 05:22 PM
Got the new Dillon die in today. Took me a bit to get it set up and dialed in. Wasn't hard, just took it slow and careful. Makes a very smooth square cut using a 3/8 4 flute carbide endmill. Chip size is very very small. The whole enchilada looks really large sitting on top of a 650! Since this is day one, I can't say anything about long term, but as of right now, I am extremely satisfied with it. It exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with.

usbp379
05-09-2020, 10:05 AM
Got the new Dillon die in today. Took me a bit to get it set up and dialed in. Wasn't hard, just took it slow and careful. Makes a very smooth square cut using a 3/8 4 flute carbide endmill. Chip size is very very small. The whole enchilada looks really large sitting on top of a 650! Since this is day one, I can't say anything about long term, but as of right now, I am extremely satisfied with it. It exceeded my expectations, which were high to begin with.Got a link or brand name for the end mill?

Something else that I find interesting. Lyman is now making Dillon-style trim dies. Price is better than Dillon. Not as many caliber options yet but that's probably only a matter of time.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk