PDA

View Full Version : A good day with my son and his friend

country gent
05-31-2015, 08:53 PM
Well today and last night was heavy rains and shillouette match I planned on attending was canceled today. SOn called and wanted some help said he would have a friend with him to help with the work. He had 1 5 gallon bucket + of wheel wieghts from the tire shop where he works he wanted to clean up into ingots. Both were wet so couldnt add to a pot but had to start out from empty pot each time. We filled pot heaping full plus and fired the burner low for 4 -5 mins to start drying then opened the weed burner up and got it going. (His friend an him cleaned some up last year with a lee pot and said it took hours to get thru small amounts) His friend commented that that many would be hours before ready to cast into ingots. I cranked the weed burner up to dull roar and 15 mins later was turning down to run setting on the valve as molten was showing along sides and edges. Cleaned and fluxed pot 3 times with wood chips parrafin mix skimmed of clips and crud. Son poured ingots with my 8 Lb ladle. did 2 pots of wheel wieght today wuth them. They now know the safe way and are also on the way to becoming casters. Maybe just fishing jigs and sinkers but still casters.

Mitch
05-31-2015, 10:42 PM
Sounds like a great day with the boys.i casted up 25lbs of 38s today.was planning on going to the match to see what it was all about is there a rain date?.I bet them boys have boolits someplace on the list.

country gent
05-31-2015, 10:49 PM
I dont know if it will be rescheduled or not it may have went on Just the Toledo crew bowed out due to weather. Actually they have fishing sinkers and Jigs on their list right now. They fish above the dams at defiance and Grand rapids of cat fish and use heavy sinkers in the hevy current. Last year son got close to a 35LB channel cat at Defiance. But it was a great day with them. Right now fishing is their sport and Im more than happy to help them out.

lightman
06-01-2015, 09:46 AM
It sounds like you had a great day, my Friend! And now, they know that there is an easier way to melt lead.

62chevy
06-02-2015, 04:44 PM
Sounds like heaven to me.

country gent
06-02-2015, 05:06 PM
ANy time I can spend time with my children or even better the grandsons ( 3 and 8months) Its a great day. They cast sinkers with a lee 10lb production pot ( now theres a misnomer in terms LOL). Last year they got a partial bucket of wheel weights and doing them in that pot was a long day for them. We filled my propane tank pot clear full Heaping I cranked it up and were were fluxing and cleaning shortly. I flux first time with out skimming debris off. Then remove clips and crud. Flux twice more with wood chips and paraffin. Ingots looked great and he had a bunch when we finished the second pot up. LOL Any time I can pass on the craft to new people is great. They learned saftey, the process, why to flux reduce, and also the rewards for a little time and work. Im patiently waiting to start teaching the grandsons. I may try with daughters boyfriend but he may be a tribulation as he has a problem listening and following directions.

RogerDat
06-03-2015, 11:32 AM
Well one thing about safety rules and safe practices when it comes to molten lead. Mistakes have consequences that can tend to strongly reinforce doing it the safe way the next time. So daughters boyfriend will listen and follow directions or..... gain a valuable learning experience on either casting or the broader subject of why you listen and follow directions with care. Think they call that a win/win as long as no animals or children are hurt in the process. Or equipment wrecked, that is bad too.

Seeker
06-03-2015, 08:49 PM
Fun times indeed. 2 weekends ago my 12 yr. old Grandson helped me smelt over 90lbs. of wheel weight ingots. It was a great day for sure.