PDA

View Full Version : Awesome Range Day!

TXGunNut
05-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Had an awesome range day with my old shooting buddy today, finished up a few long-running projects and got to see what he dug out his safe to play with.:D Graham has some beautiful old rifles, some of the best shooters are former wallhangers, lol. I like to say it looks like we robbed a museum when we shoot our old leverguns and revolvers. Newest vintage levergun we shot was my 1950 94 in 32WS. Oldest was an 1873 built in 1888, my Winchester 94 in 38-55 and Graham's Marlin 1893 were both built in 1901. He's not completely sure about the Marlin build date, tho.
I've been looking for hunting/plinking loads for 32WS, 38-55WCF and 35 Whelen for months, in the case of the 35 Whelen for over a year. All three of those projects came to an end today, or will as soon as I make some entries in my notebook. Newest 32WS shot very well, this was first range trip for it with a receiver sight and I was finishing up load development with it instead of my 1921 SRC 94. Shot quite well, just like it did with my older rifle. Very nice trigger in this latest 32, surprised me a time or two. Found some old 30-30 j-word loads and wanted to verify they shot well so I shot my fairly new 336 a little with those and some CB plinking loads. Both loads shot quite well, plinker load almost kept up with the j-words! I'll be loading some of the j-words for my brother, he's been sending me brass for years. Now he'll get it back, lol. Didn't have the heart to tell him that I generally stick to one brand of brass for 30-30; I shoot RP, he shoots WW. I gave him a nice 94 a few years back because I didn't really have a use for it and it was too nice a rifle to let out of the family. With most of his DOB in the SN I had to send it his way, lol.
Biggest surprise was my new Ruger Hawkeye in 35 Whelen, it's like this rifle was built for me. It has a VX11 2-7 Leupold installed with eye relief and focus set perfectly for me. Action is smoother than most stainless 77's and the trigger is a crisp 2.5 lbs, just like I like it. I was hoping it would like the load I been working on for my old/new rifle Ellie May. All I can say is wow! I'll post more about it on the thread under "Factory Rifles".
Weather was awesome as well. Ground was soaked, roads in were pretty bad and one of the berms collapsed on the other rifle range. Sun was bright and warm, sure felt good after all this rain. Wasn't able to shoot 100yds because of a match in progress but we were able to do what needed doing at 50.
All in all a great range day with a great friend, he even gave me a bag of new Starline 38-55 brass. He bought 250 awhile back and figures that was more than he'll ever need. Hope ya'll got out and had a good range day today too!

35 shooter
05-31-2015, 07:21 PM
I was loaded and ready to go, but got rained out here. Glad you had a good day and am looking forward to your report on the whelen!

richhodg66
06-02-2015, 12:08 AM
What's your plinking load in the .32 Winchester Special?

I've been using the Lyman 321232 (plain based .32-40 bullet) in front of nine grains of Unique. Feeds and shoots well through my Marlin.

texassako
06-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Better watch it. The less projects you have, the more those potential project guns on the rack call out "Buy me, buy me". Glad to hear you wrapped some up.

TXGunNut
06-02-2015, 11:39 PM
What's your plinking load in the .32 Winchester Special?

I've been using the Lyman 321232 (plain based .32-40 bullet) in front of nine grains of Unique. Feeds and shoots well through my Marlin.

I'm loading the Accurate 322-170A over 33.5 LVR but it's not a plinking load. I've loaded that boolit over 16grs 2400 because that's the powder charge I use in my 30-30 plinking loads, my notes are incomplete but seem to recall it shot pretty well.