PDA

View Full Version : Turret flex

lightload
05-31-2015, 05:17 PM
Like everybody else here, I know that turrets on turret presses flex but could discern no difference between ammo loaded on them or on single stage presses. 99% of my casting and loading has been for handgun ammo, and the turrets worked for me. I do like to think that good technique was the reason for success. Would the costly Redding T-7's flex as much as my Lyman T MAG? Or, is flexing really an issue?

EDG
05-31-2015, 06:33 PM
If the turret axle is tightened properly so the back support on a press like the Redding works properly you will not get any significant turret flex. The frame may bend a little but that massive turret will not flex much.

It is easy to measure with a dial indicator and a magnetic base.
You might be surprised but you can make any press frame yield a little. When FL resizing a machine gun fired SL 54 30-06 cases, my old model Rockchucker will stretch from .001 to .002 as measured with a .0005 resolution dial test indicator. To make the resizing more consistent I resize each case using plenty of Imperial and 2 strokes in the press.

For handgun brass I would not even think about press flex. The force of FL sizing a pistol case is about 1/10 that of a rifle. With a straight case there is amost no effect on the function of the brass.

str8wal
06-01-2015, 07:39 PM
Or, is flexing really an issue?

Not to me, for the most part. As long as the end result is consistant I see no issue, but then I don't load for 1k bench guns.

Spector
06-02-2015, 08:08 PM
The Lee Classic Cast turret will raise slightly until it is fully supported all the way around. When no perceptible flex is desired I use a long section of 1/4''x5 7/8'' bolt with the head removed. I place in in position with the threaded end up and screw a square nut on top with a spring on top of that to hold the turret in the fully supported position. This replaces the square turret advance. In fact you can dispense with the spring and just turn the bolt until the square nut that sits in the square hole of the turret runs up to the top of the hole and raises the turret into the fully supported position in the turret ring. This only works if you are willing to use the press as a single stage press. If you manually advance the turret under spring pressure it will pop up into the position to remove it.

I suppose the square nut could be locked on the bolt to provide just enough spring tension on the turret to raise it, but not so much as to pop it up out of the grove in the turret ring that it rides in so the turret could be advanced by hand from station to station.

After looking at my set-up again I see no reason the square nut on the square turret advance rod could not be turned out to lengthen the assembly just enough to cause the turret to ride high in the groove so it is fully fully supported by the turret ring it rides in. I think I have used the same nomenclature that Lee uses to describe the Classic Turret Press parts. I think I'm going to just increase the length of my square turret advance assembly to decrease any turret flex or up or down movement to an absolute minimum.........Mike

Petrol & Powder
06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
When you consider the entire system the slight flex in the turret seems inconsequential. Just the movement of the casing in the shell holder would be more than ten fold the amount in the turret. Does the press flex ? YES. Does it matter? maybe.. if it becomes significant.
It's easy to get lost in the tall weeds. Obviously, one wishes to keep the flex to a minimum but there's a limit to the benefits of reducing that flex. When we start talking about .001" flex, most of which is linear with the ram/casing, I fail to become concerned.

dragon813gt
06-02-2015, 09:07 PM
I use a LCT which flexes quite a bit. Runout is minimal even w/ rifle rounds so I don't worry about it.

lightload
06-03-2015, 12:33 AM
By reading some other forums focusing on precision reloading for rifles, I read that one tactic to compensate for misalignment is placing an O ring between the die and press. Supposedly, this trick allows the case to self center in the die. I agree that turret presses work well for handgun reloading and see no reason why they would not serve the rifle shooter unless he was a bench rest enthusiast. Technique that emphasizes consistency trumps equipment.

troyboy
06-03-2015, 06:12 PM
Try it out, see yourself and report back. There is no substitue for experience.

omgb
06-03-2015, 08:42 PM
I have a T7 and a Rockchucker as well as a couple of Hornady L-N-Ls. I use the T7 mostly for 45-90 and 375 H&H. I can find no percievable difference between the O frame and the Turret. Some guys believe there is and use a Forrester Coax press. I'm just not going to drink the Koolaide on that issue.

Nicholas
06-03-2015, 09:23 PM
I have loaded all my rifle and pistol ammo on an old Lyman Spar T turret press for over 4 decades and never gave this much thought as my results were satisfactory. I think there are other variables of far more significance.

Digger
06-04-2015, 09:21 PM
Can not turn down a deal ...
Picked up the Hollywood a short while back and now use it with my cast turret ..
Do the whole operation on the turret and seat the boolet on the Hollywood .
Like the "upswing" , it gives me more of a touch when seating as far as friction/pressure .
Fits very nice in the narrow space provided.
Have yet to measure boolet run out but have a bit more confidence with this set up.
The Lee has been excellent for all it's capabilities.