PDA

View Full Version : Article on barrel break-in process posted

texasmac
05-31-2015, 02:25 PM
Guys,

I just posted a new article titled: Barrel Break-In Process. It details Badger Barrels’ process and Lee Shaver abbreviated technique. If you’re interested, click on the following link.
http://www.texas-mac.com/Barrel_Break_in_Process.html

Wayne

JSnover
05-31-2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks!

M-Tecs
05-31-2015, 05:07 PM
Double on the thanks

country gent
05-31-2015, 05:55 PM
Good articles and will be helpfull to alot in the future.

Lincoln Creek
06-01-2015, 04:48 PM
Has anyone tried Lee Shavers procedure and did it work for you?

BrentD
06-02-2015, 07:48 AM
Lincoln, I have not used anyone's break-in process, but how would I, or anyone else, know if it did work? The way these methods stay in business is that there is no benchmark against which to judge them.

JSnover
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
For as long as people have been arguing for/against break-in routines, someone must have boroscoped a barrel before-and-after by now.

BrentD
06-02-2015, 03:51 PM
Indeed, but what does that tell you? I would say nothing about accuracy or longevity, the two things that break-in routines are supposed to produce.

dave roelle
06-02-2015, 04:26 PM
I have wondered on occasion if anyone had ever hard chrome plated a BPCR barrel-----seems a perfect solution to a host of problems

Dave

country gent
06-02-2015, 04:32 PM
I have watched several new service rifle barrels with a hawkeye bore scope checking after each stage ( # of shot cycles) to see what it showed after I got my bore scope years ago. These were 2 krieger 1-10 twist 4 groove barrels in 308 / 7.62 and a 1-7 twist hart 223 barrel. along with a couple 223 barrels from krieger and lilja. all were stainless steel barrels. I used what Hart was recomending at the time of 1 shot and clean 5 times check for fouling repeat if fouling is present. 2 shots clean for 10 rds check for jacket fouling, 3 shots clean check 5 shots check. 10 shot groups to 100 rds total. The throat smoothed out and as the process went along reamer and tooling marks faded out slowly. The lapped finish slowly slowly became very consistant and had a directional look to it A flow towards muzzle would be a way to describe it. I had several top shooters claim it also formed a minute choke in the new bore. Several things I noticed when breaking in a barrel were 1) bores seemed to clean easier as the process went along and a barrel broke in seemed to clean very easily. 2) bores didnt seem to jacket foul over the length of a regional match of 88 rds. 3) first shots seemed much more consistent to the rifles zero. As to accuracy and longevity there is no way of proving the barrels break in increased either life or accuracy as each barrel is unto its own. As to the bore scope with out a means of actually measureing and collecting dimensions the bore scope is somewhat subjective and while it gives a good view what are you actually seeing? You can judge finishes sharpness of corners tooling marks and such but to say difinitvly is very hard. Look in a factory barrel on a savage remington or winchester thats shooting good and you will be surprised at tooling marks throat finishes and what you see. You will be wondering how they are shooting so good. In my opinion break in helps with cleaning and controling fouling some smoothing the surface and getting the bore into the flow wanted. It may help improve accuracy consistency, not actual group sizes but the consistency of groups from start of match to end. As to extending life of barrel In a hot 243 win the best life I got was 2500 rds and throat was gone. In the black powder cartridges and soft lead bullets Im not sure you can really wear a barrel out from shooting, neglect and mistreatment yes. wear I dont know. WHen I broke in the new Hepburns green mountain blank I actually did it with Paper patched bullets. Looking in it you could see the finish becomeing more consistent every 5-6 rounds, I believe from the polishing effect of the paper itself.

country gent
06-02-2015, 04:39 PM
Black Star made some barrel blanks with a chromeium content in the stock it was somewhat harder than normal barrel steels. Most Gunsmiths didnt like them as they were very hard on chambering reamers. They claimed exceptional life but most were mediocre in accuracy not sure if it was internal stresses or tolerences. Getting plating consistent in a rifle bore can be a tricky operation. And some platings require bore cut oversized then the plating brings back to size. Lapping chrome could be and interesting process at roughly 75-80 rockwell diamond would probably be needed.

Knarley
06-02-2015, 05:43 PM
I would like to point out, that using 0000 steel wool should ONLY be used on a carbon steel barrel. If it is used in a stainless barrel, it will contaminate the bore, and it WILL begin to rust. Once that happens, it's a done deal.

Regards,
Knarley