PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Precision

RKJ
05-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Everyone here has heard about how good Dillon is for their products and customer service, I just wanted to give thanks to a great company that has stood by me for over 30 years. I had a powder measure that I bought in the mid 80's that would not hold powder, if I put powder in it would run out as fast as I put in. I sure didn't like that. :) I messed it up somehow (I still don't know what I did to it, I took it apart to do something with it and ooops). It sat around for months and a few weeks ago I had to order a tool head and conversion for the 45 colt I'd bought. I asked (Bob) about sending it back to see if they would fix my mess up. No problem, here is the RMA #. I sent it off 10 days ago and yesterday the delivery guy brought me a Dillon box, the box looked like it was brand new sitting there on the porch and much to my surprise inside was a brand new Powder measure with all the attachments. I was blown away. There was no note so I don't know what the problem was with mine but I am very grateful. I've been a customer for many years and have a love/hate relationship with my 550 but they have always listened and helped when I couldn't figure out a problem. They have always taken care of me but this was above and beyond. Thank you, Dillon Precision.

IHMSA53393
05-31-2015, 02:31 PM
I can add to that. Dillon's no BS warranty is for real. I have been using my 550 for close to thirty years. It was so worn from reloading countless thousands of rounds of ammunition. I broke down and ordered a new 550. While waiting for the new press I called Dillon and inquired about buying repair parts. The technician instead gave me an RMA and instructed me to send the press back and place a check for $67.95 in the box for repair and return shipping. I responded with I just ordered a new 550 and when it arrives I'll box the old 550 and return it. Well the complete press was loaded and shipped to Dillon. What I received was a new press plus all of the accessories new. The only item from the original 550 was the pull handle. That is service above and beyond. I am a Dillon customer for life.

VHoward
05-31-2015, 02:38 PM
That $67.50 covered labor and return shipping. What they did was strip your press down to bare bones, put the whole thing on a sonic parts washer, then re-assemble using new parts where the high wear parts were and any other part the tech determined was too worn. So, yes you did get a new press in return still covered by the no bs warranty. But then again, if your original 550 did not have the removable toolhead, they might have just sent a new one in exchange.

I have had the same experience with Dillon, RCBS and Hornady.

FISH4BUGS
05-31-2015, 06:56 PM
I want to have Mike Dillon's baby......:wink:
Shooting machine guns means loading a lot of ammo. My average loading run is about 1000 rounds per caliber. i know other machine gun shooters that load five to ten thousand at a crack (that means YOU John!) and fills 5 gallon buckets with loaded ammo. Cast bullets in the 380, 9mm and 45 subguns have allowed a vastly higher amount of shooting.
You set up for one caliber, load a few, measure everything, test fire them first before starting up the production line (don't ask me how I learned THAT lesson), then proceed to load a bunch. A few hundred here and there over a week or two can produce a lot of ammo.
My customer number at Dillon Precision is 19XX. My original 450 bought in the early 80's was upgraded to the 550 then to the B. I own very little reloading equipment other than Dillon. Quality costs money and I say it is worth every penny. The higher cost also covers the no BS warranty...and they mean it.
One thing - I can't bring myself to spend $400+ dollars on their motorized trimmer. The Forster and electric screwdriver attachment works just fine - a bit slower than I would like but I'll live with it.
I think I only paid $175 new for the 450 in the early 80's.......or something like that.......
Dillon's tech support is great. The other day I was struggling with prepped cases in 223 lining up properly in station 2 for a powder charge. The tech said check 3 things.....and he was right.....the shell plate was just a hair too loose! i thought i was being careful by backing off just a bit from tight adjustment but it was just loose enough to prevent perfect alignment.
Those 550 presses are wonderful....but they need to be clean and perfectly adjusted. I guess that makes sense for a precision piece of equipment.....and it has provided me with many hours of frustration.....but Dillon always comes through.
If ever you thought about buying one, bite the bullet (as it were) and order one. You will not be disappointed.

Alvarez Kelly
05-31-2015, 07:16 PM
Can I get a hallelujah!

Petrol & Powder
05-31-2015, 07:28 PM
Maybe not a halleluah but certainly an agreement. Dillon earned respect many years ago.

altheating
05-31-2015, 09:20 PM
A couple of buddies and I purchased our first 550 back in the early eighties. Since then I have bought two 550b's, a 650 and a 1050, a RT1500 Rapid Trimmer and a RF100 primer tube filler. Yes I also have two RCBS presses, one Rock Chucker and a turret, but for progressive reloading you can't beat the Dillons. The only problem I ever had was with the new 1050. Cases would get dented coming out of the case feeder. A five minute call to Dillon solved it as they had a new cam with a different angle that they sent me free of charge. Dillon and RCBS both #1 in my book.

dudel
06-01-2015, 05:54 AM
Can I get a hallelujah!

Hallelujah! Dillon rocks. RCBS and Hornady may match; but none better.