PDA

View Full Version : Input on Uberti .40-65????

srk
05-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Hello Fellas!
Just looking for some input on the quality, and over-all satisfaction/performance
on this rifle.
I am really looking for an original 1885 win. high wall, but so far here in the great white north(Canada)
i have only come across 1886 in this caliber, but prefer high walls instead.
Please let me know your thoughts!
Thinking about sending some "request" emails to Pedersoli to see if they will ever make their high wall
in this caliber, as for some reason, I think their quality might be a little bit better????
Thanks guys!

EDG
05-31-2015, 02:18 PM
I have handled many Uberti Highwalls but I have never shot one.
If the Uberti has a good barrel I see no reason you will not be happy with it.
The Uberti action only half cocks the hammer which I prefer. Those I have handled have been very smooth due to the lighter closing force.

Brown/Chester made a few sporter weight round barrel 40-65s though they are rarely seen.

For several years Pedersoli marketed 74 Sharps in that caliber and it has been dropped 8 or 10 years now. If you only need one or two .40-65 Highwalls you might consider that you can rebarrel an existing rifle faster and for less hassle than convincing Pedersoli to invest in a caliber that has passed its peak.

gandydancer
05-31-2015, 02:37 PM
What you talking about Willis? a caliber that has passed its peak? introduced in 1887 by winchester. when did it pass its peak? GD

montana_charlie
05-31-2015, 05:17 PM
What you talking about Willis? a caliber that has passed its peak? introduced in 1887 by winchester. when did it pass its peak? GD
The Davide Pedersoli Company sells more Sharps, Rolling Blocks and Trapdoor BPCR Rifles in one year than all BPCR manufacturers combined. ( http://www.longrangebpcr.com/sights.htm )

If Pedersoli thinks it's no longer useful to produce a .40/65, it (probably) has 'passed it's peak'.

CM

country gent
05-31-2015, 06:02 PM
I dont know hte 40-65 still sees alot of use on bpcr shillouette matches and other matches. Alot claim the 45-70 is universal and should be the first rifle but many like the slightly lighter recoil of the 40-65. I agree Pedersoli is going to make what sells the mostest and fastest. As mentioned above any rifle in 45-70 can easily be rebarreled to 40-65 I believe the same extractor will work also. Watch the used gun boards as they turn up quite often there.

EDG
05-31-2015, 07:08 PM
The original 40-65 with the 260 grain bullet was basically born dead if you are talking about something like buffalo hunting, BPCR silhouette or long range BPCR.
The current BPCR use of the .40-65 is not even close to the same cartridge when you use 400 grain bullets with a 16 twist.

dgslyr
05-31-2015, 07:27 PM
My Uberti High Wall in 40/65 shoots great.20-1 RCBS 420 BPCR,.060 Walters veggie wad, 57 gr. of Swiss 2 F, R-P 2 1/2 primer in Starline 40/65 brass.Compressed enough to be seated to cover the lube grooves but not the top driving band.

Litl Red 3991
05-31-2015, 07:30 PM
The original 40-65 with the 260 grain bullet was basically born dead if you are talking about something like buffalo hunting, BPCR silhouette or long range BPCR.
The current BPCR use of the .40-65 is not even close to the same cartridge when you use 400 grain bullets with a 16 twist.

However, if you're talking about a really good cartridge for BPCR silhouette or long range BPCR and allow whatever bullet works for the shooter, the 40 caliber straight walls ROCK...

The 40-65 and 40-70SS are babies born with hair, speaking, and tap dancing when the STORK drops 'em at your house. I am a new father of a 40-70SS baby and we've been out at the range for a couple of weeks now. Today we went out and won a Buffalo match. And we're planning to go kill some steel in June. That baby showed up knowing how to DRIVE and FLY, if you want a true analogy.

srk
05-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Just plan on shooting 100-200 yds.
Thinking about possibly using black powder as time goes on.
But smokeless for now.
Just looking for honest opions on Uberti's performance.
Cheers and thanks to all so far on your responses!

MT Chambers
05-31-2015, 10:14 PM
It's a great cartridge, without the recoil of the 45/70......I'd look at the C.Sharps Highwall avail. in 40/65 with lots of options.

gandydancer
06-01-2015, 01:21 AM
well! I have 2 in 40/65 and i like them both .

Buckshot
06-01-2015, 02:53 AM
............Apropos of nothing at all, but I have a new 34" tapered octagon 40 caliber (16" twist) Badger barrel (in the white) on hand I'd like to sell. It's machined for a Hartford collar.

..............Buckshot

rfd
06-01-2015, 06:04 AM
i don't have or want a high wall, nor do i particularly like falling block actions. i've really come to prefer rolling blocks, and in the .45-70 cartridge. when it comes to modern production rollers these dayze the pedersoli bodine is the one to get (though i'm still looking for that one special lone star roller). i think that pedersoli makes much better 19th century s/s rifles than uberti, armi, chiappa and the rest.

but, i do have a special pedersoli '74 sharps silhouette in .40-65win - this model is not in their online catalog and was made specifically for dixie gun works. it's a tack driver with a 400 grain rcbs 40-400bps or lyman snover 410663 in 1:20 and 52 grains of swiss 1-1/2f. i'd really rather have another pedi rolling block, so methinks perhaps the sharps will need to find someone to give it a good home and actually use it ... ?

http://i.imgur.com/CiMkd81.jpg

Gunlaker
06-01-2015, 09:00 AM
I can't advise you on th quality of the Uberti rifles but maybe this will be of use to you.

The .40-65 is an excellent cartridge to 500-600 yards if you are using the right bullet. If the few extra dollars aren't a deal breaker I'd seriously consider a C. Sharps. They are not difficult to bring into Canada, I've got a few of them. Prophet River gives good service and reasonable prices for importing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris.

varsity07840
06-01-2015, 10:18 AM
FWIW. I recently bought a .40-65 TD that I unfortunately had to return. However while waiting for shipment, I did a lot of research on reloading since it was my first .40-65. I found that there are number of different chambers out there and different die sets made to suit them. I was advised to do a chamber cast to determine what I needed. Never got that far.

Duane

srk
06-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Hi Chris
I will look into Prophet River.
Yeah they are a great bunch of folks there!
I really like the high wall tho, and have sent an email to Pedersoli to see what their next production
will be???? Fingers crossed!
I have been to sharps web site. Nice looking guns!
Cheers everyone!
Sean

Gunlaker
06-01-2015, 07:08 PM
Sean, C. Sharps does make a highwall, not just the Sharps rifles. And they'll definitely do a .40-65. Another thought might be to check with TexasMac on these forums and see if he can find you a good used Browning BPCR highwall in .40-65. A guy I shoot with recently bought a .45-70 from him and is having it imported. I guess that's just more gas on the fire :-)

Chris.

gandydancer
06-02-2015, 08:22 PM
[QUOTE=rfd;3268014]i don't have or want a high wall, nor do i particularly like falling block actions. i've really come to prefer rolling blocks, and in the .45-70 cartridge. when it comes to modern production rollers these dayze the pedersoli bodine is the one to get (though i'm still looking for that one special lone star roller). i think that pedersoli makes much better 19th century s/s rifles than uberti, armi, chiappa and the rest.

but, i do have a special pedersoli '74 sharps silhouette in .40-65win - this model is not in their online catalog and was made specifically for dixie gun works. it's a tack driver with a 400 grain rcbs 40-400bps or lyman snover 410663 in 1:20 and 52 grains of swiss 1-1/2f. i'd really rather have another pedi rolling block, so methinks perhaps the sharps will need to find someone to give it a good home and actually use it ... ?

I know what you mean. I like the rollers a lot better then any of the others I have a pedi in 40/65 i brought used "very little" last xmas have not shot it as of yet. been shooting my 38/55 mostly.

http://i.imgur.com/CiMkd81.jpg

Buckshot
06-03-2015, 05:52 AM
................My Pedersoli RB in 40-65:

http://www.fototime.com/02838B89D2984DB/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/D836FD30A444C86/standard.jpg

It has a 34" bbl ..................

http://www.fototime.com/862B8E68F782129/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/0032D60F7142944/standard.jpg

...............Buckshot

EDG
06-03-2015, 02:04 PM
My 40-65 Browning at the range.

srk
06-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Hi Chris
I contacted Prophet river.
Said it would be at least a year to get it here.
The Sharpes looks great tho.
This has been the most frustrating venture to date.
I can get a Uberti, but just have some trepidation about their quality.
Hoping to hear something from Pedersoli.
Cheers
Sean

srk
06-03-2015, 04:12 PM
Nice looking piece Buckshot!

srk
06-03-2015, 04:17 PM
Hey All.
Just received an email from Pedersoli.
They have indicated that if there are more requests for high wall's in .40-65
they would consider doing a run????
Like previously mentioned, they had done a run in their Sharpes.
Here's to hoping!

Litl Red 3991
06-03-2015, 05:02 PM
Hey All.
Just received an email from Pedersoli.
They have indicated that if there are more requests for high wall's in .40-65
they would consider doing a run????
Like previously mentioned, they had done a run in their Sharpes.
Here's to hoping!

I wonder if they'd sell more overall if they offered a choice of either 40-65 or 40-70SS ?

srk
06-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Not all that familiar with the .40-70SS.
Just a longer case?
Or does it perform a bit better?

Litl Red 3991
06-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Not all that familiar with the .40-70SS.
Just a longer case?
Or does it perform a bit better?

Some years back, as the BP matches showed up to 1000 yds, the first move was from 45-70s to 45-90s and bigger. Then a couple of marksmen made a move to 40-65s and everyone found out what ballistic coefficient did for you. As mentioned in Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES of the OLD WEST, there were 139 entrants at the 2002 Nat'l Champs shooting 40-65s, 103 shooting 45-70s, and 24 using 45-90s and some few using longer 45s. And it sounds like about that time some 40-70s started showing up.

It turns out that 40-70s were quite popular back in the day. When Sharps made their last big run of rifles, after the buffalo hunting had dried up, they built just two chamberings, 45-70 and 40-70 Straight. Does the 40-70 Straight perform better? Than the 40-70BN for sure. Less fouling problems by a mile. And better than the 45-70? I'd say better in every way other than retail sales. It's hard to compete against a cartridge that your military used. But does it perform a bit better than the 40-65? Not at 200yds. the extra velocity is sorta wasted on the east coast here.

Shiloh and C.Sharps chamber all their stuff for 40-70SS.

Gunlaker
06-03-2015, 11:02 PM
Hi Chris
I contacted Prophet river.
Said it would be at least a year to get it here.
The Sharpes looks great tho.
This has been the most frustrating venture to date.
I can get a Uberti, but just have some trepidation about their quality.
Hoping to hear something from Pedersoli.
Cheers
Sean

That is quite strange. Every rifle I've had them bring in has taken 6 to 8 weeks. Now if you are factoring in the time it takes C. Sharps to build you a highwall then it'll definitely take longer. The last highwall they built for me was i think 6 months max.

Chris.

Buckshot
06-05-2015, 01:53 AM
..............IIRC Steve Garbe shot a 40-65 Maynard (or so he called it, as it was a 30-40 Blown out) to win or place well in 1993. I bought a Uberti Hi-wall ...........

http://www.fototime.com/4A79DE95D6DA51F/standard.jpg

............chambered 38-55 and the barrel was a ***. You'd run a patch down the bore and there were 5 rough 'snaggy' places, plus the crown was bad. I had it sent back to 2 different places by the Importer (Cimarron). The first place (Banana River Outfitters) re-crowned the barrel and sent it back. It still shot poorly. When contacted they said that it was aimed at the CAS crowd, and they didn't shoot at long distance. The second outfit put a new barrel on it. Total time involved was a bit over 9 months and a total of over $70 in shipping charges.

I'd posted my lamenting here on the board at the time. Consensus was (at that time) that Uberti couldn't produce a good barrel if their life depended on it. It was also during this time that both Uberti and Pedersoli were being bought by Beretta. A bit after this, word was that Pedersoli used Uberti actions and put their own barrels on the rifles. In all fairness I had 2 friends who'd previously bought Uberti H-walls (used) from friends of theirs and both of them were very fine shooters. It was on the strength of seeing them shoot that I bought mine.

However I wouldn't buy a Uberti ANYTHING unless I could shoot it before buying it. Still stung over my previous purchase.

..............Buckshot

srk
06-05-2015, 04:02 PM
Hi Buckshot
Thats the answer I was looking for.
REALLY APPRECIATE IT !!!!!!!!
Found a new Winchester high wall, round barrel tho. Oh well
What is everyone thoughts on the new Winchester high walls.
Thanks everyone.
Sean

MT Chambers
06-05-2015, 05:23 PM
I'd still opt. for the C. Sharps 1885 Hi-wall where you have lots of options, check with C. Sharps re: delivery times, maybe they already have one made up. I had a Uberti 1885 in 38/55 and the bore was way over size and I sold it quickly.
There's just something wrong with a buffalo gun with "made in Japan or Italy' on it.

Gunlaker
06-05-2015, 06:14 PM
There are a few things I don't like about the new model Browning/Winchester highwalls, mostly that the internals are a lot more complcated than the originals, but they have one nice improvement which is the stock through bolt.

I will say that it's a tossup between my Browning BPCR and my Shiloh in .45-70 with respect to accuracy when shooting prone. They both shoot extremely well.

I do not know what brand of barrel is used on their round barreled guns, but I'll bet they'll shoot quite well too.

Chris.

srk
06-05-2015, 08:32 PM
Hi Chris
You have been really helpful too! Cheers!
Going to call Sharps and see what they have lying around in a high wall/.40-65.
May go that route if they have any.
I can buy an original 1886 Winchester, case hardened receiver, round barrel, with a shinny bore, but have a sweet spot for high walls.
Just curious as to what people think of the "new" Winchester high walls.
It's a nice looking piece with checkering, but I prefer the octagonal barrel.
Getting "picky" i guess.
He had indicated that they are not available with the octagonal barrel.???
But it's a "Real Winchester".
That has got to amount to something?? Hopefully??? Right???
Cheers
Sean

MT Chambers
06-05-2015, 09:13 PM
"real winchester" made in Japan?

Litl Red 3991
06-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Just got a C.Sharps 40-70SS high wall about a month ago. Bought it from my experience with a model 75 in 40-65 I've been shooting since the 90s. Both have been winners, actually. RCBS makes 300, 350 and 400 molds to fit the C.Sharps. They've got CSA on them for a reason. Sounded like a good deal in the 90s and it was.

However, don't get C.Sharps tang sights. Tang sights from MVA are a better deal, are real verniers, and are better quality.

gandydancer
06-06-2015, 08:27 PM
Buckshot! I have the same looking pedersoli rifle as yours in 40/65 mine has a 30" barrel. just had lee shaver repair my tang sights. "missing parts on tang sights" going to give it a work out on monday. GD

Bigslug
06-07-2015, 01:06 AM
I can buy an original 1886 Winchester, case hardened receiver, round barrel, with a shinny bore, but have a sweet spot for high walls.

FOR THE LOVE OF JOHN MOSES BROWNING, ENGAGE THE TARGET OF OPPORTUNITY WHEN IT PRESENTS ITSELF!!!

Yes, you DO need a High Wall (. . .and a rolling block. . .and a Ballard. . . and a Sharps. . . and a Martini. . .) but the '86 is the lever action to HAVE. The replicas will still be there.

As to the .40-70SS, yes, it can shoot very well. Brass is available from Track of the Wolf in the form of reformed .30-40 Krag hulls, which are nice in that they have beveled case heads that make chambering a little easier if you get a little throat interference.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-07-2015, 03:59 PM
Attached are two pictures [hopefully] of my 40-65 Roller. It was a 7mm veteran of the Mexican revolution when I first saw it and it looked like it had made every battle without cleaning. I told my friend about it and he bought it. He paid a whopping $65 for it. I have no idea how much he put into it. When he passed away I bought his gun collection just to get this rifle. I would really like to know who made the hammer. I never saw another like it. The wood is Tree Bone and the tang sight is a Shaver medium range. I have another .40 caliber single shot on the Falling Bock Works action. It is chambered for the 40 Krag aka the 40 Maynard. The problem with that is, you can't buy 30-40 brass. You can use 303 British but it is a bit shorter.

srk
06-07-2015, 06:05 PM
Hi Big slug
I have been weighing that option very heavily!
The gun is mint, shinny bore, and case hardened receiver.
Just kind of looking for that final push over the edge to get it.
One has a button mag, round barrel, and the other is an octagonal.
Have read tho that if you will find an over size bore it would be with an '86.??
That has been on my mind as well.
Anyone else recommend the '86?
Cheers
Sean

rfd
06-07-2015, 06:17 PM
if i wanted a superb .40-65 Right Now, this is what i'd get for $1200 ...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/images/CR3250.JPG

Bigslug
06-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Hi Big slug
I have been weighing that option very heavily!
The gun is mint, shinny bore, and case hardened receiver.
Just kind of looking for that final push over the edge to get it.
One has a button mag, round barrel, and the other is an octagonal.
Have read tho that if you will find an over size bore it would be with an '86.??
That has been on my mind as well.
Anyone else recommend the '86?
Cheers
Sean

I've slugged a smallish number of various Winchesters from the period and have not found this to be the case, but even in the event that it is, molds custom cut to your bore and chamber slugs (that shoot like gangbusters) are what Veral Smith at LBT is all about. The '86 is a BEAST of a rifle from The Man himself - remember that the '92 and '94 were what he cranked out when Winchester wanted a cheaper one. It will not cure your lust for an '85, but you're never going to wake up with a clean, original '86 in your safe and kick yourself for not buying the Italian '85 clone instead - which you can STILL buy later at your leisure.

(FYI - long barrel and full length magazine would be the ticket, IMO)

srk
06-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Hi Big Slug
Words of wisdom.
I will keep you posted on what I buy.
The round barrel already has an old Marbles peep on it, and they both belonged to the same owner.
The round barrel is a little cheaper, than the octagon barrel.
Any words of wisdom on the two?
As far as which one would be way to go?
Thanks
Sean

Bigslug
06-07-2015, 11:42 PM
At some point it becomes about what you like. I'd be more of a sucker for longer, with full length magazine, and an octagonal barrel, in about that order of preference. I was never a fan of the half-mag look on those things, but they are lighter that way.