PDA

View Full Version : Mould deburring

Cleve Branch
05-31-2015, 11:39 AM
I have a Lyman mould I bought used here. Tried casting and one side would not release the boolit. After some research here, someone mentioned having bur. That is what I found.
How do I remove it?

Cleve

Maven
05-31-2015, 12:41 PM
You can use a jeweler's file or a new #11 Facto knife blade, Cleve, but those require a great deal of dexterity. (You don't want to slip!) I, however, prefer to use a new copper bore brush of the proper diameter, chucked in an electric drill, and spun for ~30 seconds in each direction. Btw, a plug of 000 or 0000 steel wool on a warn bore brush will also work (just read about this on the CBA Forum). You'll need to degrease and smoke the mold afterwards though.

country gent
05-31-2015, 02:04 PM
Try a pencil eraser. Rub over burr like trying to erase it. Most times this will remove burr with no additional metal removed. A piece of hardwood dowel can do this also. You only want to remove the burr not any actual metal.

Bent Ramrod
05-31-2015, 04:10 PM
A copper penny or a piece of sheet copper works too. Rub the edge, not too hard. The copper snags the burr without rounding over the sharp edge of the cavity.

country gent
05-31-2015, 05:16 PM
On die segments that had to have a sharp edge remaining we work the edges with a piece of yellow brass to remove burrs and not dull edge. The sharp edge remained but now burrs to cut and break out edge. I question steel wool being spun or brush or dowel as it may round corners and details of the moulds form. Steel wool can be harder than the mould blocks are.

Cleve Branch
05-31-2015, 10:09 PM
Thanks every one I will try the penny or brass then maybe an eraser.
Cleve

Gtek
05-31-2015, 11:01 PM
I would imagine one would spin wool with blocks closed and held tight. And the following statement of smoking I think is due to taking the surface to the white removing the oxidized finish making sticky. Cold blue vs. smoking also speeds up this process in my experience. I have taken a Q-tip and rub, you will usually find snag area. Very carefully and very lightly rub razor edge at correct angle on area and check with another Q-tip. Being a Lyman with a burr do some research on lapping, might fix a couple things.