PDA

View Full Version : Anyone shooting Alliant Steel?

shooting on a shoestring
03-20-2008, 12:08 AM
I've seen Alliant Steel on the shelf, and picked up the Alliant loadind data catalog. It lists Steel as fuel for only heavy shotgun, no other uses. It seems to me that every other shotgun powder out there also works at least decently well in revolvers. Is there any reason there is no load data available for Steel in revolver cartridges? Perhaps its new and the data hasn't been developed, or perhaps there is a reason. Just looking at the burn rate near Blue Dot and 2400, it seems it should work well in .357. Has anyone used Steel?

Bullshop
03-20-2008, 12:46 AM
Yup, a fella traded a keg for some ammo in my shop. I am shooting it in 22 hornet and 22 ccm.
Its about the perfect burn rate for the ccm. The problem I have with it is its too course to throw charges for such a small case as the ccm so I have to weigh every charge. The only powders I can use in the ccm with thrown charges are powders like w-296 or h-110. They will throw very uniform charges. In the ccm a 1/10gn variation is too much, they have to be spot on.
As long as I weigh charges its good.
I realy need to get one of those powder dispencers that automaticly weighs each charge.
BIC/BS

runfiverun
03-20-2008, 02:07 AM
it's a bit slower than 800-x ? isn't it?
i have a bit of the powder myself,and have wondered about it,
was thinking about trying about 12 gr. in the 44 mag

Johnch
03-20-2008, 07:25 PM
I have burned 50 + lb in Steel shot loads for duck hunting [smilie=1:[smilie=1:

I have played with it a little in rifle loads
But I drop the charges with the Lyman 1200

I used starting loads for 2400 and worked up

At least with my limmited testing , with the lott I have on hand ( #12 , #14 or 15 is the current lott being sold )
It seems to be about 5% faster than 2400 , but I have no way of checking pressures

But work up loads for each lott
As Us crazey steel shot loaders have found Steel powder has a huge Lott to Lott varaince

I buy 6 - 4 lb jugs at a time
As I have to rework up loads for each lott , what a PITA

IMO there are other much better powders for loading rifle or pistol cart's

John

shooting on a shoestring
03-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Well thank you Gentlemen.

I think I'll venture in other directions instead of investing in a pound of Steel. It sounds like 2400 would serve me better in .357, .45 Colt, Hornet, 30/30 and 8mm06.

The more I sample and try different powders, the more I like Bullseye, Herco and 2400.