PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 525, just because..........

HiVelocity
05-30-2015, 07:22 PM
My loading shotshells with slugs and/or buckshot is erratic at best. Sometime the combination works, sometime they simply fail.

Well, I bought some virgin 12ga shotshells from BPI for a specific project, they sat for over a year. Then, while cleaning a few shelves, I thought why not try one or two of these with the Lyman slugs I cast (almost a year ago)? They came together quite well. Then I got another brainstorm; lets load a few backwards, ala' "big a$$ hollow point?" My mind is telling me that they would work close range, yet would lose their stability beyond 40-50 yards. None the less, I think they loaded great, can't wait to try a couple. What do you think?

Before you ask, my load is 35.6gr of BlueDot, 525gr Lyman slug in a Federal 12S3 wad. Am I demented, or do others play like me? Lol!

HV

longbow
05-30-2015, 07:37 PM
Not demented at all and yes, I play like that too. If I had a rifled gun I would have tried that already but being a smoothbore shooter those slugs backwards would be a no go past... well about the muzzle.

If I may suggest a target ~ 1 gallon milk jugs at 25 yards should be fun! I have to think that the jugs will vapourize!

On that note, pictures or even better video would be good when you do it!

Longbow

acguy45
05-30-2015, 07:48 PM
theres a guy on you tube that inverts the slug like you did. he fills the hollow cavity with birdshot and caps it with epoxy/caulk he shot some on paper in his videos his name is fortunecookie45lc

HiVelocity
05-31-2015, 09:30 AM
acguy45- I'm familiar with his work on You Tube. I'm guessing that mine won't do much past 40 yards, if that, before they become unstable and tumble.
I'll probably try his idea with hot glue and some birdshot. Thanks for all the comments,

HV

Lonegun1894
06-04-2015, 05:55 AM
At least I'm not the only one who gets ideas and just has to try em, even when expecting them to fail or at east have very limited utility.

coyotewacker
06-16-2015, 07:06 PM
I've loaded 357 wad cutters hollow base out.....never crossed my mind with a Lyman 525....:twisted: