PDA

View Full Version : Allan's BE-86 . . . scarce losing data . . any good published sources?

bedbugbilly
05-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Yes . . . I have looked at the loading data on Alliant's site and I've looked at some of the threads on here as far as Alliant's BE-86. From what I'm hearing, this is a good powder that works in a variety of calibers. A member here had a quantity of it for sale and I'm considering getting a jug of it but I am having trouble finding "published" data on BE-86 as far as different lead boolit grain weights - in particular, 38 special.

I cast and se a variety of 38 boolits in 38 Colt Short, Long and Special. Grain weights vary from 92, 105, 115, 121, 147, 150, 160 etc. Yea, I have a number of molds and like to "play". On the Alliant site, there really isn't much as far as the loading data and different grain weights of lead boolits. I've been looking but my guess is that the powder is new enough, not a lot of data exists as far as in a loading manual.

Does anyone know of any source of "published" data on this powder? Data giving min/max loads for different grain weights of lead bollits?

I'm low tech. I don't have a chronograph and I usually load light to medium loads - Il never push the limit.

I know that even though it is called BE-86 (Bulls Eye 86) it is an entirely different powder than the old standby of regular Bulls Eye - which I use a lot of. I have seen several references on here that it falls into about the same loading data as "Unique". The Alliant site shows a heavier wt. per load for the BE-86 than the old BE.

If no good data for lead boolits is available yet . . . is it safe to use the Unique loading data - starting low of cours and working up? Or is there a different powder that is close to the characteristics of the BE-86 that would work safely?

I'd like to pick up a pound of the BE-86 and try it but just want to be safe. Who knows, it might become a "favorite" if it works well . . . I just want to know that my loads are safe and would feel better if I could locate some "proven printed data".

Yes, I know . . . before you say it . . I plan on giving Alliant a call but I am not anticipating a great amount of data for lead. And . . . my 38s are fired out of anything from a 2", 3", 4", 5", 5 1/2" and 6" barrels.

I'm thinking that there are probably quite a few folks out there who would try it (if they could get it) but maybe are leary like I am in regards to not finding what is considered "safe" min/max loads for their calibers and lead boolit wghts.

Thanks if anyone can steer me in the right direction - greatly appreciated.

Jim

lancem
05-30-2015, 07:05 PM
Selected Metallic Loads

Here's what was available on loaddata.com. It does look like a powder that does cover a number of popular pistol calibers

.38 Special (Alliant BE-86 Powder) Reloading Data

Printable Version (http://www.loaddata.com/members/search_printable.cfm?metallicid=7758&MW=&PM=Alliant&PT=be-86)

http://www.loaddata.com/images/database/.38%20Special78.gif

Warning! Notes: Case: Federal; bbl length: 6; primer: Fed 100. (Alliant Reloader's Guide)

Be Alert: Publisher cannot be responsible for errors in published load data.

Wt.
Bullet
Powder Manufacturer
Powder
Charge
Velocity (FPS)

JHP
Alliant
BE-86

Remarks: minimum OAL (inches): 1.42

JHP
Alliant
BE-86

Remarks: minimum OAL (inches): 1.42

FMC
Alliant
BE-86

Remarks: minimum OAL (inches): 1.425

Cast RNFP
Alliant
BE-86

Remarks: minimum OAL (inches): 1.465

Cast RNFP
Alliant
BE-86

Remarks: minimum OAL (inches): 1.46

GRUMPA
05-30-2015, 08:07 PM
With as difficult as it is to find pistol powder I went ahead and ordered some of the BE-86. I downloaded the Alliant loading 2014 data and was going through and noticed all I see is that Federal primers were used. I'm thinking for the smaller (9mm,40,38spl and some 44mag) it should work fine, but I only have a little of this and that for the full tilt bigger bore pistols. I know in time I'll use all the BE-86 but I have yet got it in yet let alone chrony any of it.

bedbugbilly
06-01-2015, 08:35 AM
Thanks fellas - greatly appreciate it! Lancem - thanks for posting the data - it gives me more than I had on the lead boolits. I checked at on LGS and they thought they would have some 1 lb. containers in their next shipment. I'll check back with them and hopefully can get one to try out.

Some of what I've read - and don't know how reliable it is as it appears "supposition" it in play - is that this powder may have been around for a while but mainly on the European market and not so much here? Who knows . . could be. I suppose we will have to wait until new editions of loading manuals come out at some point and see if it is included. Just off the top of my head, it seems funny that more data hasn't been established by Alliant if they are going to market it here . . . but then, maybe i'm looking in the wrong places.

Thanks again . . . if I can get some, I'll post my thoughts and results with it.

Djones
06-01-2015, 08:53 AM
Has anyone seen a burn chart with this BE86 powder on it?

bedbugbilly
06-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Djones - I've been looking but haven't run across one yet. If someone has one or knows of one, I hope they post the link.

Bullwolf
06-03-2015, 04:55 AM
Has anyone seen a burn chart with this BE86 powder on it?

I'd read (rumors) that BE-86 was Power Pistol, but with an added flash suppressant.

Power Pistol was known as Bullseye 84 when it was a OEM canister powder for the ammunition companies.

But, if you look at or download the 2015 Alliant Powder Reloader's Guide...

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

On page 11, Alliant powders are listed by burn rate.

The burn rate on BE-86 is placed right between Unique and Power Pistol in the 2015 Reloader's Guide.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=141218&d=1433320843

An Alliant Reloading rep posted some information about BE-86 over on The High Road forum that confirms this somewhat.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=760289

Post #2 reply

I am glad to see you have stumbled onto some of the BE-86 we began shipping into distribution recently. Sorry to take so long to get it to market, but we have been under siege demand wise for all of our existing products in both OEM and canister markets that marketing didn't want to prioritize this new product (for canister). We will continue to get some out as we can, so if you ask for it, those orders should pull through.
I am very confident you will really like this powder. It is the same magic formulation as Bullseye(R) and Power Pistol(R), and virtually the exact geometry of Power Pistol. It is a little faster burning that Power Pistol though, and very similar to Unique(R), burn speed wise. As you mentioned, we have added flash suppressant to this product to moderate the flash response, whereas we do not for Power Pistol. BE-86(TM) is a high energy propellant though, so do not expect it to be flashless. The FS added moderates what would be maybe a basketball or bushel basket size bloom for a stout load of Power Pistol down to more like a baseball or cueball. I find it very acceptable from the shooter's position, and we have several OEM's that use this material for duty applications.
So to summarize, the "so what" on BE-86 is that it has the outstanding ballistics and ignitability of the BE series powders, in Unique burnrate, with great metering characteristics, with FS to moderate the flash bloom.
We worked up a good amount of data for this powder, but if we have left any applications out that you think might be interesting, send a message in through our "ask the expert" on our website, www.alliantpowder.com (http://www.alliantpowder.com)
Thank you for your interest in our new pistol powder BE-86.

Hope that helps some.

- Bullwolf

bedbugbilly
06-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Thank you Bullwolf - very helpful! Greatly appreciate it!

garym1a2
06-03-2015, 09:56 AM
It should be great for 9mm and 40 S&W. I heard it is the factory ammo for a major 40 supplier.
I wonder if its good like Unique for cast rifle loads?

runfiverun
06-03-2015, 12:09 PM
I hadn't seen that chart until now, but it supports my thinking that it was between herco and unique.
it seems to flip flop back and forth depending on the cartridge and bullet weight you use it with.

my plan for the 8 pounds I have is to duplicate the 357 mag load which I currently use herco in.
I may also work a cast boolit load up in the 300 b.0. using a 120gr lyman.
the powder looks like it would fill the case pretty well and should give me 11-1200 fps easy enough.

GRUMPA
06-03-2015, 02:51 PM
I hadn't seen that chart until now, but it supports my thinking that it was between herco and unique.
it seems to flip flop back and forth depending on the cartridge and bullet weight you use it with.

my plan for the 8 pounds I have is to duplicate the 357 mag load which I currently use herco in.
I may also work a cast boolit load up in the 300 b.0. using a 120gr lyman.
the powder looks like it would fill the case pretty well and should give me 11-1200 fps easy enough.

First time I saw that chart myself, I guess my google-foo isn't all that great.

I would be more concerned with the power curve on this particular powder more than anything myself. I have that powder supposedly showing up at my door some time next week, and that's when I start doing my own testing.....

dilly
06-03-2015, 06:26 PM
Any ideas on where to start for a 327 Federal Magnum load of this powder?

Do we generally think this powder can be reduced without any cause for concern like Unique?

rintinglen
06-09-2015, 02:29 AM
I would try 5.5 grains in a 327 as a starting load and work up to maybe 6.5 grains with a 100 grain boolit. The lack of data is why I have blown off this powder, but the widespread availability has me interested.

dragon813gt
06-09-2015, 06:05 AM
Any ideas on where to start for a 327 Federal Magnum load of this powder?

Do we generally think this powder can be reduced without any cause for concern like Unique?

Call Alliant. While it's new in a canister it's not a new powder. It's been around for quite a while.