PDA

View Full Version : Holster for Remington "Pocket" cap lock revolver?

Naphtali
05-30-2015, 02:13 AM
I have been unable to identify a holster for a reproduction Remington 1863 "Pocket" cap lock revolver - the small .31-caliber 5-shot. My first thought was that I might be able to wet remold a holster intended for a Ruger Bearcat. But I could not work around the Pocket Remington's lack of a trigger guard.

My Internet searches find holsters for 1858 Remington reproductions, but nothing for the pocket revolver. Anyone who knows of a larger manufacturer or custom maker who offers such a holster, please let me know.

bedbugbilly
05-30-2015, 01:36 PM
I don't remember as if I have ever seen one available for the Remie pocket model . . . go to the N-SSA site (North-South Skirmish Association) and bring up their sutler and dealer link page - take a look at some of the sutlers - Cedar Creek, S & S, etc. may have something. More than likely, you might have to have one made for it. I make holsters as a hobby and if you can find someone to do it (I don't have the time due to a lot of stuff I've got going on), they will probably want the pistol if they don't have one in order to make a pattern and then wet mold it when done.

I can tell you now that you are correct that the Ruger Bearcat holster will not work - two entirely different profiles as you have found out. I have made a number of holsters for the Bearcats and I would imagine that even thought the Remmie might fit, it probably swims in it.

This might be a good opportunity for you to play with making a holster. It shouldn't be too hard to make one for that little pistol. If you have access to a Tandy Leather or other supplier . .. . some 8 to 10 ounce leather should work fine. There is probably some information on the "net" for developing a pattern - not that hard to do. I usually use a manila file folder for mine. You'd want to saddle stitch it. Probably a square foot or less of leather would make a nice little flap holster for it or you could go open top.

Good luck . . . I'll look and see if I can find anyone who makes one commercially and if I can find one, I'll post the link.

bedbugbilly
05-30-2015, 02:00 PM
Naphtali - the more I thought about it, I did remember someone having a holster they listed for the Remmi Pocket Model. After searching - I found it at Fall Creek Sutlery. The link is

http://www.fcsutler.com/fcleather.asp

The link will take you to their Civil War leatherwoods - scroll down past the flap holsters for the standard size C & B - they show an open top leather holster and mention the Remington Pocket Model, etc. Just under $20.00. If the size would work, you can wet it and then "wet mold" it to your pistol - if you do, be sure to oil your revolver and slip it in to a plastic bag before putting it in the holster. Normally, I submerge my holsters in water until "pliable" - then pat dry, slide the bagged pistol in and wet form. I leave the pistol in overnight - the next day the holster is dry enough to remove the pistol and then I let it set a day or so to fully dry out. The process will usually dry the leather out and it will stiffen it. Leather needs to be "fed" natural oils every once in a while to keep the leather in good shape - think of leather boots which get soaked, dry out and are stiff and you apply such things as mink oil. A variety of natural oils can be used - some like Fiebrigns, etc. I normally use our virgin olive oil - it puts natural oils back in and will not go rancid, etc. Pure virgin olive oil has been used for centuries for a variety of uses - leather, I use it on my guns often and clockmakers used it for centuries as a lubricant for clock works.

Good luck - hope this helps some!

Jim

Briantllb
09-04-2019, 05:57 PM
I know this is very late in coming but here is a link to a maker in the usa of a holster for the Remington .31 pocket revolver.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/280761820/1863-remington-pocket-pistol-holster