PDA

View Full Version : New Press On the Way

lightload
05-30-2015, 01:15 AM
For the last 45 years I've been loading on a single stage press and a couple Lyman turret presses. Speed ain't my game. Anyway, I enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting. In my old age I decided to move up a notch and selected a BL 550, Dillon's stripped down progressive. I'll continue to prime off press with a Lee auto thumb buster tool. The Lee Auto Disc measure will throw my Alliant powders and expand cases with the NOE powder through expander plug. I'll load 9mm, .38, and .45 ACP with this machine. I have no intention of upgrading the press.

For me this choice was not a Dillon is better than Hornady issue. Instead this model had the features that I considered important. I can't wait to get going.

jmort
05-30-2015, 01:47 AM
That is the model I would get. Good for you

lightman
05-30-2015, 02:43 PM
It was a good choice, whether it's "better" than the others, or not. You should be happy with it, and their CS truly is no "BS".

bhn22
05-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Hmmm. The Lyman turrets would do anything that the BL would do. Regardless, Dillon is a great company to work with. Enjoy!

VHoward
05-30-2015, 09:01 PM
Yes, but with the 550BL you can size, charge, seat a bullet and crimp a bullet in all at once as there is room for four cases at once. The BL is totally manual. It is still a progressive press, but nothing is automated. Every step is manual. After you get the shell plate loaded, it is a finished round for every pull of the handle, where as with turrets you get one finished round for 3 or 4 pulls of the handle, then you move on to the next.

lightload
05-31-2015, 01:19 PM
No problems with my tried and true turrets. I wanted a new press.

bhn22
05-31-2015, 01:34 PM
No problems with my tried and turrets. I wanted a new press.

A perfectly good reason! We've all been there. I hope it's everything you want it to be!

NavyVet1959
05-31-2015, 04:17 PM
The BL550 basically looks like a RL450B, but with a removable toolhead. I have the RL450B and have been very satisfied with it. You should be very happy with your new press.

If the Dillon toolheads were the same price as the Lee turret heads, I might consider upgrading my press to the RL550 body. But then I would have a spare 450 body and being one who does not like to see something wasted, I would probably end up trying to build another 450 out of it. :(

Wayne Smith
05-31-2015, 05:27 PM
Since I deprime before I clean and prime off the press I've found that I mostly use two of the three stations on my Bair Brown Bear. When I crimp separately I use all three.

castalott
05-31-2015, 06:13 PM
NavyVet 1959
. But then I would have a spare 450 body and being one who does not like to see something wasted, I would probably end up trying to build another 450 out of it. :([/QUOTE]

Are we related? I still can't throw plastic ice cream buckets away. Mom saved them like they were made of gold. Dale

j4570
06-04-2015, 10:27 PM
I would probably just buy the RL550. It's not that much more, and I know you said you don't want to upgrade, but many has mine loaded good ammo for 19 years. tens of thousands of rounds. I have used mine pseudo single stage, similar to the BL550. I have one tool head I use for 45/70 Black powder and I either use the powder die with the funnel (comes with a BL550 I think) or remove the case at that station and use a drop tube. That being said, the RL550 with powder measure and primer feed is just so great.

Even if you go with the BL, you'll like it. I had a Lyman turret and it's not anywhere near as fast or easy as the Dillon using it similar to a turret (but advancing the case instead). My dad is using the Lyman Turret, and yes it's a good press, the plus to a turret is it uses standard shellholders you may already have.

Enjoy your purchase.