PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot ?

paralaska
05-29-2015, 11:52 PM
Ok . . . So I added 1/2 lb of lead shot to my mix of coww with 3% tin (thinking it would add more sb to the mix). . . I thought they would melt right in but they didn't. My temp was around 750. They stayed on top and I tried stiring them in but they kept floating. I had some beeswax in there too. I finally Skimmed them off the top and lowered my temp to around 675, which seems to work well for me . . . Anyway . . . Later I examined the lead shot. Some of them were hollow and real fragile, others had this light fragile shell with lead on the inside. It was like the lead had melted out of the hollow ones and not quite got around to melting out of the others. What is this shell? Is it sb? Did I not get things hot enough? Should I crush them and try them mixing them in?
Thanks

Starvnhuntr
05-30-2015, 12:04 AM
I have added high antimony shot to my melt of coww and it just melted right in. I usually try to keep my working temp. at 800.

BACKTOSHOOTING
05-30-2015, 01:36 PM
I had the same happen and was told it's grafite on the shot. Dont remember what to clean it with but search this form for an answer.

bumpo628
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Try squashing them against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon or ladle. I read that somewhere around here...

RogerDat
06-04-2015, 12:08 AM
Graphite and maybe oxidation creates shell. I too have read the crush pellets with a spoon or wood stick against the sides of the pot.

paralaska
06-04-2015, 03:17 AM
Thanks . . . This time around I crushed them against the side of the pot with the back of spoon and all melted in ok . . .