PDA

View Full Version : NRA IRH - use of cast bullets in 2 and 5 groove barrels

ohland
05-29-2015, 08:07 PM
I was immersing myself in the study of the holy. While reviewing the ILH, I looked at the rifling kinds, and read the five groove (used by the .43 Spanish), then I noticed "Cast bullets should be chosen as for use in barrels with 2-groove rifling.” I report, you decide...

Cast Bullets in Rifles: Bullets, loads, accuracy – Part 4 of 4 page 105, NRA Illustrated Reloading Handbook, COL E.H. Harrison

“2-groove rifling – To speed production, most M1903A3 barrels were rifled with only 2 grooves... Cast bullets with short groove-diameter body, the rest of the bullet bore-size, are guided positively by the abnormally broad lands, and shoot excellently in these barrels...”

“5-groove rifling -... Essential characteristic is not the number of grooves, but the equal width of lands and grooves. Lands therefore occupy half the bore. Cast bullets should be chosen as for use in barrels with 2-groove rifling.”

Outpost75
05-30-2015, 07:53 AM
Thus you have discovered a fundamental truth!

If you follow the Cast Bullet Association's military rifle postal matches you will see that 03A3 Springfields and Swiss K31s dominate.