PDA

View Full Version : 22 magnum confusion

daengmei
05-29-2015, 05:32 PM
I've layawayed a Henry 22 magnum. Looking for ammo I see WMR, short barrel, and a few other descriptors that I'm not familiar with. Do I just need to make sure it's 22mag by looks? Is there any 22 magnum centerfire I could confuse with? Wasn't so hard when I was younger.

NSB
05-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Any ammo labeled .22WMR will work in your gun. WMR means Winchester Magnum Rimfire. It doesn't have to be Winchester ammo either. My best results come from CCI ammo, the 40g HP. However, different shooters and different guns get different results. As hard as it is to find right now, you may want to take some of what ever is available. Don't worry about short barrel either. That just indicates the powder will burn well enough in a handgun not to interfere with accuracy or consistency. In a rifle it will be fine.

Hooker53
05-29-2015, 06:16 PM
Yep. .22 Mag is .22 Mag. It's also one I been looking at the last few weeks. I think it's a great little round and may even take one of my Martini's and relied it for this caliber. Like you, the only thing that will stop me from doi g that is the ammo. If I can find as much as a case of it, will go ahead and pull out my Clymer reamer and get to work. Enjoy your Henry. They are great guns.

Roy
Hooker53

daengmei
05-30-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks.
Jim

pietro
05-30-2015, 07:14 PM

The somewhat older .22 Special / .22WRF (Winchester Rim fire) will also feed, chamber, fire & extract in your Henry, just as .38 & .44 Special(s) will chamber & fire in .357 & .44 magnums.

The .22 WRF is loaded with lead boolits only, with a cartridge case a little bit shorter than the .22 Magnum/.22 WMR - but will not usually shoot to the same zero as magnum ammunition, due to the lower boolit velocity (which also helps keep meat damage on game animals down to a dull roar).

Do not chamber & attempt to fire .22LR in the magnum chamber, as the LR case rim can blow out when it tries to expand to the larger magnum chamber size, endandering both the shooter & the rifle.

daengmei
05-30-2015, 07:44 PM
That helps too, Thanks.
Jim