PDA

View Full Version : High pressure "boost" pump.

jmorris
05-29-2015, 04:12 PM
I have been interested in PCP air rifles for a few years but never liked the idea of having to go somewhere to have tanks filled or going through the effort and time of using the bicycle style pumps, so I decided to try and build a pump that would take the compressed gasses I already have for welding and boost them up to higher pressures that the air rifles operate at.

Looks like it might work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9YN6IzQVSw

I did post it in the air rifle forum, where I originally asked folks how they fill theirs but figured it also counts as a "special project". If that is a no no, the mods can delete this one.

OuchHot!
06-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Obviously, you know enough to be careful. I hope this works out for you. Eventually, you will get to the point of needing to worry about wear/heat in the high pressure circuit and appropriate design to allow continued cycling so you can put out the 20-50cc of 3500psi (or more) that a air gun needs but it sure looks cool to me. Good luck with it! I got so frustrated with hand pumps (my late wife had some Richard Simmons tapes that may have activated my endless pumping!) that I bought a purpose made compressor. That thing is expensive, loud, and I get real squirrely when it gets near 5kpsi.